The Student Room Group

There's a Squatter in My Flat

The tenancy agreement on my flat ended a few weeks ago. Now around Christmas a friend through work was going through a really rough time, she'd fallen out with her family and had nowhere else to go. So I took her in thinking she could help me with my rent. However, she never paid me a single penny towards anything (actually spent £150 on her damn hair weave instead). Then 2 weeks before the tenancy was up I reminded her that I'd need her out of the property and she was fine with that, apparently she was already viewing places with someone. So I go up a couple of day before the tenancy is up expecting my flat to be vacant and she's still there. Apparently she got in touch with some kind've housing charity and they've negotiated for her to stay on in the property until she gets rehoused.

A few days ago I get a call from my letting agent asking why I haven't handed in my keys. I explain what my tenant said to me. They've never heard of her, and they got a call from this charity but they told them to get lost basically because the landlord doesn't accept people on benefits and she hasn't got a deposit to put down. So I panic, go completely nuts because I'm responsible for rent, council tax, and utilities up until that point (£1,000+) apparently. So I call my tenant and she agrees to go down with me to the letting agency to sort it out after the weekend.

Later that day a mutual friend calls me asking what me and my friends think we're doing trashing the flat. I'm very confused to I go round to find her hysterical, screaming that I've burnt her stuff. I am very scared at this point, so I call the police. I know they can't let me in but I just want them to tell me whats going on, tell me if she's damaged the flat at all and see if there's any basis to her claims. They find nothing, tell me the flats not damaged at all and its just really messy, and that she's agreed to go to our meeting at the letting agent.

Surprise, surprise she doesn't turn up. But the agent in charge of the flat gives me the number of the person at the charity who tried to negotiate with him. I call them up and they promise she'll be out today. So I have been calling them back all morning to see if she's gone. They won't pick up the damn phone. >.<

So what do I do next? :frown:

In summary:

I invited someone into my flat

Person has stayed on after the end of my tenancy and refuses to leave

Letting agency says its my responsibility, refuses to help

Charity housing company are trying to rehouse her but I can't contact them

Scroll to see replies

Thats ****ing Insane, and ridiculous.

I'd have half a mind to beat the **** out of that bitch.

If i were you i'd find any physical support you can (friends, family) and physically throw her out, with all her crap.
Reply 2
As above. Failing that set fire to the flat. Squatters are like rats they always abandon a sinking ship.
Reply 3
don't sign anywhere the statement that you let her in your flat. If she stays in the flat after the end of your tenancy it is agency problem to deal with it.
Reply 4
Original post by crazycake93
Thats ****ing Insane, and ridiculous.

I'd have half a mind to beat the **** out of that bitch.

If i were you i'd find any physical support you can (friends, family) and physically throw her out, with all her crap.

Yeah, you're not allowed to break into the flat or you're breaking the law and can be fined £5,000 and can sent to prison for 6 months if she tells the police that you did that. :frown:
Original post by Tesphena
Yeah, you're not allowed to break into the flat or you're breaking the law and can be fined £5,000 and can sent to prison for 6 months if she tells the police that you did that. :frown:

Yeah but it's her flat isn't it?
Reply 6
I like how appropriate this subforum is.

Advice? Kick her out.
Invest in a big stick!
Reply 8

Its still breaking and entering though. Unfortunately someone decided to give these squatters rights so you can only ask them to leave. If they don't listen you have to get a court order and give her about 2 weeks notice after receiving it.
Its still breaking and entering though. Unfortunately someone decided to give these squatters rights so you can only ask them to leave. If they don't listen you have to get a court order and give her about 2 weeks notice after receiving it.

Was it the Tory's who were changing this law?

Still, i wouldn't care, i wouldn't let anyone do that, i don't care if it resulted in me being sued.

So then why are squatters allowed to stay? I know not in this case, but surely they break into the buildings in the first place?
Reply 11
Original post by jimcatinnes
So then why are squatters allowed to stay? I know not in this case, but surely they break into the buildings in the first place?

The police can move the squatters on if there's proof that the squatter broke in, like a damaged lock or a broken window or something. Otherwise you have to go to court and prove its your property not theirs.

You could stalk the flat, wait until she leaves, then sneak in? But any entry you make into the flat has to be peaceful or you'll be arrested.
Reply 12
Surely the landlord/letting agency has the keys? Could you not locate them, and then get them to go and kick her out? They're not breaking and entering if they are the landlord.
Reply 13
From experience I would say just take the law into your own hands, it's the only way anything gets done.

Get some men together and kick her out.
Original post by Quentin
The tenancy agreement on my flat ended a few weeks ago. Now around Christmas a friend through work was going through a really rough time, she'd fallen out with her family and had nowhere else to go. So I took her in thinking she could help me with my rent. However, she never paid me a single penny towards anything (actually spent £150 on her damn hair weave instead). Then 2 weeks before the tenancy was up I reminded her that I'd need her out of the property and she was fine with that, apparently she was already viewing places with someone. So I go up a couple of day before the tenancy is up expecting my flat to be vacant and she's still there. Apparently she got in touch with some kind've housing charity and they've negotiated for her to stay on in the property until she gets rehoused.

A few days ago I get a call from my letting agent asking why I haven't handed in my keys. I explain what my tenant said to me. They've never heard of her, and they got a call from this charity but they told them to get lost basically because the landlord doesn't accept people on benefits and she hasn't got a deposit to put down. So I panic, go completely nuts because I'm responsible for rent, council tax, and utilities up until that point (£1,000+) apparently. So I call my tenant and she agrees to go down with me to the letting agency to sort it out after the weekend.

Later that day a mutual friend calls me asking what me and my friends think we're doing trashing the flat. I'm very confused to I go round to find her hysterical, screaming that I've burnt her stuff. I am very scared at this point, so I call the police. I know they can't let me in but I just want them to tell me whats going on, tell me if she's damaged the flat at all and see if there's any basis to her claims. They find nothing, tell me the flats not damaged at all and its just really messy, and that she's agreed to go to our meeting at the letting agent.

Surprise, surprise she doesn't turn up. But the agent in charge of the flat gives me the number of the person at the charity who tried to negotiate with him. I call them up and they promise she'll be out today. So I have been calling them back all morning to see if she's gone. They won't pick up the damn phone. >.<

In summary:

knock her on the head with a baseball bat
Reply 15
Phone a locksmith, change the locks, sort it out afterwards with the landlord.

No as her tenancy agreement has ended, she has no more claim to it than you or I.

OP as youve involved the police your severely limited in your options, if you ahdnt my advice would be to get round there with about three or four blokes and remove her manually.

Other tan that see wha the agency and police say.
If you still have a key to the flat, then it doesn't count as breaking an entry.
Hence you can enter and kick her out. If she complains have lots of witnesses to say that you did nothing and shes just trying to cause trouble.
Reply 18
Were you allowed to let her stay in the first place? Did your tenancy agreement allow you to sub let? If it didn't then you're probably in for a whole world of trouble because you broke the contract. If that's the case it doesn't surprise me that the letting agent is refusing to help. Actually it doesn't surprise me anyway, letting agents are usually total ****s.
Original post by Quentin

In summary:

this sounds abit familiar to something :colone: Im sure she will e gone soon xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending