The Student Room Group

What do you get when you cross Maths with the Olympics?

A) Kidult: beautiful young minds

Of course the Chinese won but treated their entrants like table-tennis players, doing little else but the subject from a young age.

Anyone love maths that much?

Surely you need other subjects like engineering, physics or chemistry to see the beneficial applications?
Reply 1
I love how the related iPlayer items are on autism and asperger's.
Reply 2
Original post by Reems
I love how the related iPlayer items are on autism and asperger's.
The fact that the documentary (which is largely about the UK team, despite the OP's comments) focussed almost entirely on the two UK squad members on the far end of the autistic spectrum (while largely ignoring the more normal team members) might have had something to do with it.
Reply 3
I think most of the kids were "normal", but yea; there's always a disproportionate amount of people with autism/aspergers that are clever/psycho at maths :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=471049

The original TSR thread from when it first aired. One of the people featured in the documentary (Lightwing) posted in it :smile:
Reply 5
Answer: Mathletics
Reply 6
Original post by IchiCC

The original TSR thread from when it first aired. One of the people featured in the documentary (Lightwing) posted in it :smile:

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by IchiCC

Ah, I did search for "Kidult" before I started the thread. I have often incurred the Mods' ire by resurrecting old threads, but I think it's better to draw on received wisdom than repeat it.
Reply 8
I really enjoyed listening to Jos, I think he should take a turn at being a host on "have I got news for you". Many people speak while they are thinking (because they havn't got such a trained mind, so we have to listen through their thought processes, like a bus that travels round the estates to get you to the station. Jos is an Express.

OK he has a different focus to most people, more mental, less emotional but he is a refreshing change in an emo-touchy-feely society.

It has been said that people good at maths are also good at music, is this true?
The Maths Olympiad :h:
Original post by NJA

It has been said that people good at maths are also good at music, is this true?

The only thing you can really say about people who are good at maths is that they're good at maths. Some will be great at music, others will sound worse than your average drunkard with a microphone. Some will avoid other humans and retreat to their office as frequently as possible whereas others will be the life and soul of the party.
I guess the only other thing you can say about good mathematicians is that they are very focused people. However, I don't think this is too dissimilar from most other things in life: if you want to be good at them, you have to be focused.
Reply 11
Original post by IrrationalNumber
I guess the only other thing you can say about good mathematicians is that they are very focused people. However, I don't think this is too dissimilar from most other things in life: if you want to be good at them, you have to be focused.

Fair comment, I should beware more of comments made by people with un-focused minds.

(btw, i c u r in Clapham, what's the latest on the "hippy camp" on the common for the Royal Wedding weekend?)
Original post by NJA
Fair comment, I should beware more of comments made by people with un-focused minds.

(btw, i c u r in Clapham, what's the latest on the "hippy camp" on the common for the Royal Wedding weekend?)

Won't affect me, I'll be in leamington..
Either some people loosing events but being able to do the statistic analysis at the end, or some people failing at maths competitions but being able to intimidate/beat up everyone else to win anyway.

The latter sounds more interesting.

Question: 4 + 5 is?

Answer from shotput champion: 2, or I'll kill you.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest