The Student Room Group

22, Too old for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dipless
Where are you going to study, i'm off to Manchester and they have quite a high mature student % also :smile: what you going to study?

Im off to UCLan, going to study psychology and marketing :smile:

I was really surprise at how high the percentage is, whats it like at manchester?
Reply 21
Original post by AidyD

I was really surprise at how high the percentage is, whats it like at manchester?

Oh great, that's an interesting combination. I'm going to be doing Geology and planetary scince, which will be fun... I hope.

Likewise, Manchester has a 29% mature students and I was also very supprised!
Try to get in this year before the fees rise next year.
Reply 23
Original post by dipless
Oh great, that's an interesting combination. I'm going to be doing Geology and planetary scince, which will be fun... I hope.

Likewise, Manchester has a 29% mature students and I was also very supprised!

Yes will be interesting studying them both side by side for 3 years, although marketing is essentially a strand of psychology, they are both linked, and Im looking forward to the prospect of advertising/consumer psychology.

Hey if geology and planetary science interests you then Im sure you will find it fun, I bet you get to do some travelling around too.

Anyway - good luck with your life at uni, think 5 years from now we will both be in very different places :tongue:
You'll fit right in.
Hilarious. Get your ass to Uni whatever your age if it suits your situation.
Reply 26
Original post by AidyD
Yes will be interesting studying them both side by side for 3 years, although marketing is essentially a strand of psychology, they are both linked, and Im looking forward to the prospect of advertising/consumer psychology.

Hey if geology and planetary science interests you then Im sure you will find it fun, I bet you get to do some travelling around too.

Anyway - good luck with your life at uni, think 5 years from now we will both be in very different places :tongue:

Yeah quite a lot of fieldwork... which will be nice but a bit costly :s-smilie: I can see they are linked bet those modules will be very interesting :smile:

You too best of luck... 5 years still seems a long way away but will be gone in the blink of an eye :smile:
Everyone's different and as long as you're doing what's right for you, it shouldn't matter what age you are when you start. I know the phrase is probably overused but it really is just a number... there isn't that much in a few years, and you truly realise that when you're 18+ imo.
I have a few "mature" friends at uni, ranging from 24-53 so you're never too old; they're proof of that. There's not that much difference between a 22yr old and an 18yr old; in fact most people won't even ask your age because you probably look like you're the same age as most freshers.
Original post by ClareConfusdCornes
I'm 22 and I've spent the last 4 years travelling and working around Europe. I didn't get the grades I wanted when I finished my A levels so I never went to uni. I want to go now but I feel like its too late to do a course that isn't vocational or for a specific career based reason. I took the UCAS Stamford test and it suggested I look at history/international relations/ engilsh literature courses. Is it too late for me to do a uni course and have that much debt when there isn't a specific career role at the end of it and I could just get a boring paid job? (parents want me to get a job and leave home!)
Any advice or opinions from anyone whose been through something similar would be great!

22 isnt old ClareConfusdCornes you just a young un,and i am twice as old as you and i hope to go back to university myself,so if you defiantly want to go to university,i say go for it,you will always regret it ClareConfusdCornes if you dont go :biggrin:
Like everyone else says - go for it!
Reply 31
Original post by ClareConfusdCornes
I'm 22 and I've spent the last 4 years travelling and working around Europe. I didn't get the grades I wanted when I finished my A levels so I never went to uni. I want to go now but I feel like its too late to do a course that isn't vocational or for a specific career based reason. I took the UCAS Stamford test and it suggested I look at history/international relations/ engilsh literature courses. Is it too late for me to do a uni course and have that much debt when there isn't a specific career role at the end of it and I could just get a boring paid job? (parents want me to get a job and leave home!)
Any advice or opinions from anyone whose been through something similar would be great!

Definitely not! My brother is 27 and just finishing his second year and theres soemone on my course at uni who is 40! Your age doesnt make a difference, everyone just wants to get on :smile:
Original post by AidyD

Unsual combination AidyD psychology and marketing but good luck with that that m8.I take it you can still get GBR recognition for that course then? thats if you wanted to do a post-graduate qual in some sort of Psychological field afterwards:smile:
Not at all. My mum's 47 this summer and is starting a degree in Social Policy 2011 entry:smile:
Reply 34
Original post by ellakrystina
Not at all. My mum's 47 this summer and is starting a degree in Social Policy 2011 entry:smile:

Good for her... Are you going in the same year as your mum?
Original post by dipless
Good for her... Are you going in the same year as your mum?

Yes we will be! However she's studying locally while I'm moving away.
Reply 36
Original post by ellakrystina
Yes we will be! However she's studying locally while I'm moving away.

That is so cool, good luck to you both :biggrin: where and what are you going to study?
You're not too old :smile: I'm 22 and will be going to do a second degree in september (by which time i'll be nearly 23)
Reply 38
Original post by wizardtop
Unsual combination AidyD psychology and marketing but good luck with that that m8.I take it you can still get GBR recognition for that course then? thats if you wanted to do a post-graduate qual in some sort of Psychological field afterwards:smile:

Yes it probably does seem quite ununsual, I wont be earning the relevent recognition to continue straight on into typical psychology routes, and certainly not as a psychologist, Im from a sales and marketing background, and will be looking at going into high-level marketing.

The psychology part of my degree is to compliment the marketing rather, which probably sounds quite inverse within the University world but looking at it the other way around this will make me far more employable as a graduate going into the advertising/marketing world than a single honours in marketing.

Lot of research done on this anyway - plus I love psychology! Am currently bright red sat inside having stupidly spent 5 hours sat in sun reading Gross... Sunburn hurts!
Of course you are not too old. I've known many people in their 30s go, and as for the Open University even older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending