The Student Room Group

AS German- what is it really like?

Hi,
I'm thinking of picking German for A-Level, but I was just wondering what it's like compared to GCSE (apart from a lot harder)
do you enjoy it more or less?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say AS German was a lot harder than GCSE. You learn a lot more of the workings of the language and so the phrases that you learn parrot-fashion for GCSE start to make sense and you understand why you're saying mit dem instead of mit das. The topics that you cover are a lot more interesting as well. If you have an interest for the language and can cope with learning a bit more grammar it's a very rewarding and fun subject to take! :smile:
I didn't think it was much harder than GCSE. Just more vocab to learn and more grammar. The topics are more interesting and the exams are okay too.

For the speaking exam you get a stimulus (a picture and some text - only a few paragraphs) and you get 4 questions about it. 2 are directly related to the text and the other 2 are more open. You get time to prepare this, 15 minutes I think and you can take your paper in with you) Then it's just questions and answers like GCSE, just with different topics, e.g. youth culture, heath and fitness, technology.

Then you have a reading/writing/listening exam (2h30) A bit like GCSE but the writing is a report/letter at the end rather than coursework.

(This is for Edexcel - other exam boards might be different)

& I enjoyed it more than GCSE and am now doing A2 :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
thank-you!
Reply 4
I'm doing AS (AQA), I wouldn't say it is too difficult as long as you are prepared to learn the grammar. Like the others said, you understand what you learnt in GCSE more, I've also found my English grammar has improved (don't know if that's actually related to doing languages though). I, personally, enjoy it more than GCSE as I feel I'm actually understanding why things are written how they are, and I'm able to hold a conversation (I hope I am, I'm going to Germany on Sunday as part of an exchange so I better be) rather than just regurgitating things learnt in class. I know that in my 6th form language classes are always small (5 for German and 4 for French), I'd assume it's the same in most places. I find this means that you get more one-to-one, and you can't hide (some might find this bad, but I think it's good as you know you're actually learning and not just letting the rest of the class carry you).

The German assistant at my school is hot too, which is always a bonus :wink:
Original post by Georgina_
I know that in my 6th form language classes are always small (5 for German and 4 for French), I'd assume it's the same in most places. I find this means that you get more one-to-one, and you can't hide (some might find this bad, but I think it's good as you know you're actually learning and not just letting the rest of the class carry you).

At the moment I think I'm the only one doing german :colondollar:
so the course might be cancelled, might just bribe the teachers though :wink:

Everyone in 6th form has just said A-level languages are ridiculously hard, but this thread's given me some confidence. thanks :smile:
I didn't find the jump from GCSE to AS that difficult, coming from GCSE with an A* helped, the one girl in my class who came with a B struggled quite a lot so maybe bear that in mind. However, if you like languages go for it.

A2 however, I've found hard work. :frown:. I'm on WJEC and my oral exam is next week. If anything, I found the jump from AS to A2 harder in all my subjects, including German, as I found the work load increased and with my exam board you watch a film and read a book.
I'm doing AS (AQA), I know that in my 6th form language classes are always small (5 for German and 4 for French), I'd assume it's the same in most places. I find this means that you get more one-to-one, and you can't hide (some might find this bad, but I think it's good as you know you're actually learning and not just letting the rest of the class carry you).

The German assistant at my school is hot too, which is always a bonus :wink:

Also doing AS with AQA, my german group is tiny, just the 6 of us. You definately end up doing much more speaking during lessons, you learn a lot more grammar, imperfect tense, passive, subjunctive. Imperfect tense is lovely, especially when you're explaining something you've already done, and you've got weil in there, as you only have the one verb, as opposed to two.
Reply 8
I really enjoyed German A-Level and didn't find it too challenging. I think it's changed a lot since I did it (seems to be a bit more parrot fashion) but I'd say go for it.
I was on my own for A2 which really helped.
Reply 9
Original post by .snowflake.
Also doing AS with AQA, my german group is tiny, just the 6 of us. You definately end up doing much more speaking during lessons, you learn a lot more grammar, imperfect tense, passive, subjunctive. Imperfect tense is lovely, especially when you're explaining something you've already done, and you've got weil in there, as you only have the one verb, as opposed to two.

I really like the imperfect too, everyone else in my class (all 4 of them :smile:) don't like it. I think it's because it doesn't seem complicated enough, so they're kind of like "What? That's it?"
I really like the imperfect too, everyone else in my class (all 4 of them :smile:) don't like it. I think it's because it doesn't seem complicated enough, so they're kind of like "What? That's it?"

My best friend also does german, shes one of the annoying types to be able to write four sides of A4 in an hour, and get 30/35 for it. She HATES the imperfect. Something to do with 'there's a lot to remember for the irregular ones'.

To me, the imperfect 'feels' fluffy. Future passive on the other hand, feels like someone's tied my feet together. It just feels clumsy and horrible.
Reply 11
Soul-destroying. Don't do it.
Reply 12
My best friend also does german, shes one of the annoying types to be able to write four sides of A4 in an hour, and get 30/35 for it. She HATES the imperfect. Something to do with 'there's a lot to remember for the irregular ones'.

To me, the imperfect 'feels' fluffy. Future passive on the other hand, feels like someone's tied my feet together. It just feels clumsy and horrible.

I don't like the passive in general, the present's alright, but I'll stick with "Man..."

Original post by IlexBlue

This person lies.
Reply 13
This person lies.

I never tell a lie. :frown:

What was so bad about it? Crap teacher, too much pressure?
Really cool - it's not that much harder than GCSE - not much more grammar, although there is quite a bit more vocabulary to be learned.

With Edexcel German, our topics are:
- Youth, Culture and Concerns
- Health and Fitness
- The World Around Us
- Work and Education

Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
I never tell a lie. :frown:

Okay then, this person exaggerates.
Original post by thegodofgod
Really cool - it's not that much harder than GCSE - not much more grammar, although there is quite a bit more vocabulary to be learned.

With Edexcel German, our topics are:
- Youth, Culture and Concerns
- Health and Fitness
- The World Around Us
- Work and Education

Good luck :smile:

Understatement of the century much? Or is it just my german teacher gives us LOADS of vocab to learn...
Reply 18
What was so bad about it? Crap teacher, too much pressure?

The teachers weren't amazing, but it was the awkward way the syllabus (which was bloody dreadful itself) was taught, as well as the grammar and vocab in general. The jump from GCSE to A level was ridiculous, and the subject wasn't fun at all.
Understatement of the century much? Or is it just my german teacher gives us LOADS of vocab to learn...

Well I suppose - we have 2 teachers for each subject at AS/A2 - one of my German teachers gives like no vocab but the other gives tonnes :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending