The Student Room Group

Is the standard on TSR higher?

For Medicine.

The standard on TSR is really high and so is that for medicine applicants, so is it that the standard on here is higher because people on TSR are the ones who will get the offers, or is it representative of the whole pool of medicine applicants?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe slightly higher. I'd like to think that TSR was a representative sample of the entire student population, but the pessimist/cynic in me tells me it's those who are of slightly higher quality...

To be honest we don't have any points of comparison....
I think it just gives the impression that the standard is higher, since people with amazing grades are more likely to post their grades. Besides, not all people are necessarily telling the truth, so many results could be fake.

But then, this is a student forum so you are more likely to find people who actually care about their education and put the work in. Good work ethic=better grade(not necessarily, but in most cases)
Original post by darkxangel
I think it just gives the impression that the standard is higher, since people with amazing grades are more likely to post their grades. Besides, not all people are necessarily telling the truth, so many results could be fake.

But then, this is a student forum so you are more likely to find people who actually care about their education and put the work in. Good work ethic=better grade(not necessarily, but in most cases)

I agree with that. Those who have achieved top grades and done loads of work are more likely to post than those who haven't done as well; therefore, you might get a bit of a skewed representation. I take this forum as a good chance to get advice instead of comparing myself to others (and maybe satisfy a bit of curiosity in terms of what other people have achieved/done). :biggrin:
Reply 4
You get people on here who have gotten A*s in more A levels than are actually possible to take. I do think there is an element of lying with some.

In real life, however, no one I know could get that- and I go to a grammar school
Reply 5
I don't think so. TSR has a lot of borderline candidates who are here to ask whether they have a realistic shot at Medicine.
Reply 6
I think so
In a word: yes.
I think the standard of posters on TSR is quite high as you have alot of people who are very focused academically and possibly a tad grade obsessed. There are also a few people who are trying to figure out whether to give medicine a shot and, I suspect, quite a lot of lurkers who don't want to put their own information forward for fear of being seen as weak candidates but like to see who they are up against / how previous applicants have done.
Reply 9
Not long ago someone posted a poll asking how many times people reapplied to medicine before getting an offer, and around 60-70% of people replied with first time, whereas in the last few UCAS cycles, something like 60% of medical applicants get all 4 rejections.

I know that strictly speaking they're not directly comparable, but it wouldn't be too much of a strech to say that 40% of the 'average' applicants get an offer, and 60% of the TSR-using applicants get an offer.
Reply 10
Arguably those that aren't really bothered about academia won't really post on an academic/student forum, so implicitly the standard on TSR is higher. This is especially obvious for UKCAT score where it seems 700~ is probably the average on here (whereas the average is nowhere near 700 in real life).
Not necessarily.
Reply 12
I think the tsr populous are better researched, they generally know not to apply to places like Bristol with bad GCSE's and to apply to places like newcastle with good UKCAT's.

I found alot of medics at school though brilliant academically, often didnt apply strategically, and thus they were more likely to get rejected than say the average medic on TSR.
IMO, no. Just more clued-up/better prepared.
Reply 14
Original post by shaz111
I think the tsr populous are better researched, they generally know not to apply to places like Bristol with bad GCSE's and to apply to places like newcastle with good UKCAT's.

I found alot of medics at school though brilliant academically, often didnt apply strategically, and thus they were more likely to get rejected than say the average medic on TSR.

Don't you mean Birmingham?
Original post by slew
Don't you mean Birmingham?

Bristol are a bit GCSE grade obsessed too.
Original post by I<3LAMP
Bristol are a bit GCSE grade obsessed too.

They only look at your top 8 and value an A and an A* equally - so 8 As and 2Bs is the same as 12 A*s :dontknow:
Reply 17
The standard that people mention is definitely a lot higher.

For the applications thread, the successful applications for each school vastly outweigh the unsuccessful when the average success rate should be 1 in 10. Clearly this is hugely biased.

Original post by Taffy Duck
I don't think so. TSR has a lot of borderline candidates who are here to ask whether they have a realistic shot at Medicine.

I think you're doing well if you're a 'borderline candidate' when it comes to medical applications - its hard to do any better!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by chloemo14
They only look at your top 8 and value an A and an A* equally - so 8 As and 2Bs is the same as 12 A*s :dontknow:

Yep similar to Liverpool then, who do your top 9, valuing A/A* as 2 and B as 1

So 6As and 3 Bs is minimum requirement, and 13A*s is the same as 9As and a B (for entry requirement purposes).

The key word being; entry requirement purposes. I'm sure few people get in with grades on, or just surpassing the entry requirements, and I think that it's likely that Bristol do place much more emphasis on GCSEs than the minimum says.
Reply 19
Original post by slew
For Medicine.

The standard on TSR is really high and so is that for medicine applicants, so is it that the standard on here is higher because people on TSR are the ones who will get the offers, or is it representative of the whole pool of medicine applicants?

Discuss.
No, in real life there are normal teenagers with the ability to think for themselves and to carry on a normal conversation. They seem to be seriously unrepresented on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending