The Student Room Group

Women: Exposing your breasts in public, Is it empowering or exploitating?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by righteous
Yes, I am prejudiced against lust and degeneracy. Congratulations on working that one out.

I'm glad we sorted that out. Now you have discredited yourself as a prejudiced bigot nobody will take you seriously :lol:
Reply 101
Original post by Stefan1991
I'm glad we sorted that out. Now you have discredited yourself as a prejudiced bigot nobody will take you seriously :lol:

Nice use of tautology you absolute moron, especially when considering earlier you explicitly pointed it out in your arrogant manner. Now I suggest you practise what you preach before condemning others.

Here's the thing. I don't actually give a damn what you think. Nobody takes people who advocate incest and promiscuity seriously either.
(edited 13 years ago)
I find breast exposure empowering on a profound level. Not only does it empower an erection but it empowers me with the knowledge that the girl in question is without question one randy hoe.
Yeahh uhh I think it's kinda exploitatin' too if Imma be honest, just sayin y all
Reply 104
If a female exposes her breasts, who is the one doing the exploiting, and to who?
Likewise for the case of (perceived) empowerment. Empowerment over what/in what sense?
Original post by Dr Pressure
People aren't going to admit it but it's true:

American women are more confident and more sexually liberal than their British counterparts.

America is one of the most sexually conservative nations in the world. It is a country where some states dont allow sexual activity until you're 18, abortion is still illegal in a number of states and homosexual activity is also banned in some areas. Not to mention that America is a very Christian country.

They are not sexually liberal as a nation at all.

I really wish people would actually visit/research places before saying things about it.
Well I certainly wouldn't. :erm:

I guess if other people want to do it, then that's up to them. :dontknow:
Whether it's "empowering" (**** I hate that word) or not depends on how they feel about it.
The only time I have ever exposed my boobs was on a beach in Croatia and other women were doing it. I lasted about 2 minutes before feeling far too uncomfortable and getting dressed again. It just felt weird.
Original post by Antonia87
America is one of the most sexually conservative nations in the world. It is a country where some states dont allow sexual activity until you're 18, abortion is still illegal in a number of states and homosexual activity is also banned in some areas. Not to mention that America is a very Christian country.

I really wish people would actually visit/research places before saying things about it.

Yes, you're completely right, this is what I was thinking too. Britain may be a bit hush-hush about sex sometimes, but USA is like that too but on a much bigger level for sure.
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Never done it so I don't know, but frankly I don't think I would care that much. HAving been in hospital for a while and had every nurse, orderly and anyone who happened to walk past see me naked means that I don't care that much anymore!

Wow, what exactly happened to you (out of curiosity)?

Original post by LizzayBT
i have flashed people a couple of times (on request of course) and i find it empowering. i have generally low self-esteem and poor body image, so i find that getting out of my comfort zone really helps me out. especially since i dont get the reactions i expect to get (i had rather small breasts and i expect negative comments but i always get positive comments).

Hi :sexface:

Whilst I think your point may be valid in some areas of America, I think you're vastly exaggerating. It is not 'one of the most sexually conservative nations' in the world.

Firstly; whilst there are a lot of (practising) Christians, the United States is a constitutionally secular nation. The ACLU do a very good job ensuring that.

Secondly; 20 states out of 50 have outlawed discrimination based on sexual orientation, with hate crimes based on sexual orientation or gender identity punishable under federal law.

I have visited several American states, including New York city, as well as some of the more southern states; Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois. I agree, the United States is a very sexually liberal country (on the whole). Even the bible belt, the children of Christian families are growing up with secular-liberal attitudes, and most teenagers have engaged in pre-marital sex.

You're right that there are areas that consider themselves socially conservative, but on the whole, the United States enjoys a widely secular non-interventionist attitude when it comes to sex. I have no idea why you're exaggerating to this degree.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Wow, what exactly happened to you (out of curiosity)?

Just broke my back, but I had this one nurse (the rest were BRILLIANT, it was just this one) who kept trying to wash me when I could do it myself, or would leave me with all the washing things and then leave the curtains with a huge gap. Or tell the doctors doing their rounds that it was fine to just go in.
Such is life haha
Reply 112
Nice use of tautology you absolute moron, especially when considering earlier you explicitly pointed it out in your arrogant manner. Now I suggest you practise what you preach before condemning others.

I was fully aware it was a tautology, I just wanted to emphasize the point that you are a prejudiced bigot, adjective and noun, and hilariously for some reason you are proud of being such a moron. Don't worry, I do practice what I preach.

Here's the thing. I don't actually give a damn what you think. Nobody takes people who advocate incest and promiscuity seriously either.

Maybe they should. Nobody listened to Copernicus either, because like you they were too stuck in their bigoted mindset. Have fun being ignorant in life. :lol:
Reply 113
Original post by JGR
If a female exposes her breasts, who is the one doing the exploiting, and to who?
Likewise for the case of (perceived) empowerment. Empowerment over what/in what sense?

I'd say they might feel empowered because women don't have the freedom to expose their breasts, unlike men.

They feel empowered because they don't find it necessary to listen to what society or prejudiced prudish people tell them they can and can't do with their own body, forcing them to cover themselves up as if their body is something shameful.

I guess they can be empowered simply by being proud of their own body and having the freedom to do the same as men.

Just broke my back, but I had this one nurse (the rest were BRILLIANT, it was just this one) who kept trying to wash me when I could do it myself, or would leave me with all the washing things and then leave the curtains with a huge gap. Or tell the doctors doing their rounds that it was fine to just go in.
Such is life haha

Blimey, sounds really weird. Was this nurse male by any chance? :lolwut:
In the US or the UK it merits discussion, it wouldn't in France or Germany or Scandanavian countries where if on a beach it would just be seen as personal choice (whether to or not) and elsewhere only when a mum breastfeeding.

Empowerment seems to me more relevant in a job or education context.
Reply 116
Original post by QI Elf
I'd rather stick red hot forks in my eyes than expose my breasts in public.

Hmmm Grenade?
Blimey, sounds really weird. Was this nurse male by any chance? :lolwut:

No.... her name was Renesh. I don't think it was the nudity she was interested in, she was just generally crap at everything. I think it was emphasized because all the other nurses were really good, so she stuck out like a sore thumb. She also told off another women on my ward for wetting herself in front of the women's whole family.
No.... her name was Renesh. I don't think it was the nudity she was interested in, she was just generally crap at everything. I think it was emphasized because all the other nurses were really good, so she stuck out like a sore thumb. She also told off another women on my ward for wetting herself in front of the women's whole family.

Bloody hell, I don't usually do the whole 'overly protective' thing, but if my sister or girlfriend were treated like that, I would have a fit. Makes you lose your faith in the NHS with stories like this :/
Bloody hell, I don't usually do the whole 'overly protective' thing, but if my sister or girlfriend were treated like that, I would have a fit. Makes you lose your faith in the NHS with stories like this :/

It kind of does, but on the other hand I was treated by probably about 30 different nurses at different times, although not all of them for long periods. Out of those I would say that 12 of them were genuinely exceptional. After I had had been moved to a different hospital from the evil nurse I asked if I could have my hair washed- the other hospital was very busy and given the back injury it probably wasn't a good idea. Anyway, the next day every nurse on the ward had brought in their own shampoo and conditioner, because hospital regulation stuff isn't very nice, and a few even brought in travel hair dryers in case I wanted it blow dried as well. One of the girls at the end of her (long) shifts used to ask if I wanted her to nip into ASDA and get anything because I wasn't eating very well. Bless them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending