The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 essay question?

Maintaining constant conditions in the body.

25 marks! and all I can think of is homeostasis which is one chapter out of 33 of the entire Biology course, I can think of very weak links (like immune responses) but where else in the syllabus is there info on this question other than the chapter on homeostasis?
Reply 1
You could mention water loss in plants, insects, fish and mammals(assuming the body is not specific to humans!). You could talk about pumps eg how sodium and potassium pumps maintain a resting potential in the axon membrane. Constant conditions does not simply just refer to homeostasis.

Off the syllabus I can only think of pH in the blood system maintained by a buffer with hydrogen carbonate. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, you should have a browse through the specification, and anything you spot you should jot down :smile:
Reply 2
You could talk about control of the heart rate by parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems as well.
Reply 3
Original post by tehsponge
You could talk about control of the heart rate by parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems as well.

Yes you can :smile: Also muscle contraction, the heart and the SA node in maintaining constant blood pressure and heart rate :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Eloades11
Yes you can :smile: Also muscle contraction, the heart and the SA node in maintaining constant blood pressure and heart rate :tongue:

Include vasodilation, sweating, advantages and disadvantages of being an ectotherm and an endotherm with regards to constant maintenance...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending