The Student Room Group

OCR C2 Integration

How do you integrate:

x3+3x12xdx\displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx

How do you remove the denominator? I know how to integrate but I don't know what to do with the x in the denominator.

Also how would you integrate:

2a6x4dx\displaystyle \int_2^a 6x^{-4} dx where a is a constant greater than 2.

What does 'where a is a constant greater than 2.' mean exactly? How do I manipulate the a?

Thanks, sorry my maths is awful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
For the first one, split the fraction and use the laws of indices.

For the second one, integrate it like you would normally and then just put a in instead of a numerical value for the upper limit. "a is a constant greater than 2" just means that a2a \ge 2... but that has no effect on this integral -- all it means is that your integral's not screwed up*; notice that if a<2a<2 then your upper limit is lower than your lower limit.

*In fact having an upper limit lower than your lower limit is fine, but if this is C2 it's not worth worrying about, which is probably why they imposed the condition a>2.
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
For the first one, split the fraction and use the laws of indices.

For the second one, integrate it like you would normally and then just put a in instead of a numerical value for the upper limit. "a is a constant greater than 2" just means that a2a \ge 2... but that has no effect on this integral -- all it means is that your integral's not screwed up*; notice that if a<2a<2 then your upper limit is lower than your lower limit.

*In fact having an upper limit lower than your lower limit is fine, but if this is C2 it's not worth worrying about, which is probably why they imposed the condition a>2.

x3+3x12xdx=x3x+3x12xdx=13x+\displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx= \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3}{x}+ \frac{3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x}dx=\frac{1}{3}x +

I'm not so sure on the last term.
Reply 3
Original post by I'm clever
x3+3x12xdx=x3x+3x12xdx=13x+\displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx= \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3}{x}+ \frac{3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x}dx=\frac{1}{3}x +

I'm not so sure on the last term.

You haven't applied the laws of indices; when you integrate x3x\dfrac{x^3}{x} you don't get x3\dfrac{x}{3}, that's for sure. Simplify x3x\dfrac{x^3}{x} and 3x12x\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x} first.
Reply 4
Original post by nuodai
You haven't applied the laws of indices; when you integrate x3x\dfrac{x^3}{x} you don't get x3\dfrac{x}{3}, that's for sure. Simplify x3x\dfrac{x^3}{x} and 3x12x\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x} first.

x3x=x2\dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2

3x12x=3×xx\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai

x3x=x2\dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2

3x12x=3×xx=3x\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}=\frac{3}{\sqrt x}
Reply 6
x3x=x2\dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2
That's right. So what do you get when you integrate that? [Hint: not x/3]

3x12x=3×xx\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}

You can simplify xx\dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{x}. Notice that x=x×xx = \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x}. But really you could have just used the laws of indices; you should know from C1 that xaxb=xab\dfrac{x^a}{x^b} = x^{a-b}.

EDIT: Just seen your updated reply; you're right with the second bit, but you're better off writing the power of x as a number so that it's easier to integrate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by nuodai
That's right. So what do you get when you integrate that? [Hint: not x/3]

You can simplify xx\dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{x}. Notice that x=x×xx = \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x}. But really you could have just used the laws of indices; you should know from C1 that xaxb=xab\dfrac{x^a}{x^b} = x^{a-b}.

I'm not doing A level maths. I'm only in year 10 but I find integration interesting :smile:

EDIT: I have simplified it further.
Reply 8
I'm not doing A level maths. I'm only in year 10 but I find integration interesting :smile:

EDIT: I have simplified it further.

Okay, see my edit :p: I think the laws of indices is a GCSE thing anyway, but if you're in Y10 you might not have covered it yet... I don't know what the syllabus is these days.
Reply 9
Original post by nuodai
Okay, see my edit :p: I think the laws of indices is a GCSE thing anyway, but if you're in Y10 you might not have covered it yet... I don't know what the syllabus is these days.

The answer to the second question is a342\frac{a^3}{4} -2

I can't seem to get that one too. :frown:
Reply 10
The answer to the second question is a342\frac{a^3}{4} -2

I can't seem to get that one too. :frown:

That's definitely not the right answer to the second bit, assuming you've not made a typo. You should be aiming for 142a3\dfrac{1}{4} - \dfrac{2}{a^3}.
Reply 11
Original post by nuodai
That's definitely not the right answer to the second bit, assuming you've not made a typo. You should be aiming for 142a3\dfrac{1}{4} - \dfrac{2}{a^3}.

Yea I understand it all clearly now.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest