The Student Room Group

A few questions/problems about my student finance

1. Where can I apply for a maintenance grant? I seem to have accidentally applied for a maintenance loan, I'm not sure whether you can take out both.

2. When I click the ' support an application' says this "You are not linked to any student for academic year 2011/12". How do I fix this ... =/

3. In my course section, only one uni appears, my firm uni. Am I mean't to add the insurance?

4. Is it possible to survive on a Maintenance grant and work at the same time?

I hope you can answer my questions

You need to take out a maintenance loan in order to qualify for a maintenance grant, you can't just get a grant. You shouldn't be trying to support an application, that bit is for your parents to support your application by entering their income. You can only enter one uni. If you end up going to your insurance, you just need to inform the student loans company of that so that your fees are paid to the correct uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You need to take out a maintenance loan in order to qualify for a maintenance grant, you can't just get a grant. You shouldn't be trying to support an application, that bit is for your parents to support your application by entering their income. You can only enter one uni. If you end up going to your insurance, you just need to inform the student loans company of that so that your fees are paid to the correct uni.

Thanks but how can I get my parents to do the support application bit if it's not connected to mine?
Original post by Jonario
Thanks but how can I get my parents to do the support application bit if it's not connected to mine?

They set up their own log in on the website and then connect to yours by entering your number (used to be called an ART number, goodness knows what it's called now).
Original post by Jonario
1. Where can I apply for a maintenance grant? I seem to have accidentally applied for a maintenance loan, I'm not sure whether you can take out both.

2. When I click the ' support an application' says this "You are not linked to any student for academic year 2011/12". How do I fix this ... =/

3. In my course section, only one uni appears, my firm uni. Am I mean't to add the insurance?

You get assessed on your financial details on how much maintanence grant you are entitled to.

just continue applying in your own section and you shouldnt have to press the support an application part, it does it on its own.

student finance is only linked to your firm, money is assessed on that particular university, if you dont get the grades you have to ring them up and inform them of the details of your insurance

finally it depends how much grant you get! :smile:
Reply 5
I've just tried to register my mother and it says she is already registered, but she knows she's not (unless somehow she did for a PGCE 14 years ago, but that's unlikely). Any idea why it could be saying this?
Reply 6
Original post by redpanda41
I've just tried to register my mother and it says she is already registered, but she knows she's not (unless somehow she did for a PGCE 14 years ago, but that's unlikely). Any idea why it could be saying this?

It probably is due to the PGCE. Although the system was probably different back then they still keep everyones account recorded.

If she phones them up they should be able to recover her details so she can login.
Original post by Jonario

1. The grant comes automatically with the loan if you put down your parents' earnings on the form.

2. You don't click on the 'support' an application box until you have filled in the whole form. That's your parents' login portal once they've filled in their sections about what they earn.

3. You only put your firm choice on the form. If you don't get in and take your insurance offer, you have to fill in an amendment form sharpish on results' day.

4. It depends how much your accommodation/food costs etc but from what I heard, I think you'd struggle trying to live off your loan and grant. Your parents are expected to contribute most of the time or you'd have to get a job.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by redpanda41

My mum did a PGCE around the same time and she's still registered. Can she answer her security question (in which case it will give you your code online). Otherwise you can just phone up and explain the situation and they'll give it to you.
Reply 9
Original post by Becca-Sarah

You don't need to take out a maintenance loan to qualify for the grant, you just need to be means tested.
Reply 10
ARGH this is so annoying!!!

1. I've done everything there is to be done on the student side and i've received a letter from them.

2. I'm trying to get my parents to support my application by creating an account for them but have no idea how to actually do it.

On the website it says 'If the student chooses to complete their application first, they will be asked to provide your name and email address. An email with your Customer Reference Number will be sent to you, so you can log in to your own account and enter your financial information' I got an email which included my very own Customer Reference number, the number that I used to log in.. It still doesn't say where I can write up all the financial details.

3. There is no maintenance grant option, I don't remember including my household income details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending