The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yawn11
I recently got a call from Orange telling me my contract expires in July...

Wondering if it will be worth upgrading to something like samsung galaxy s2 or better.

Or just getting a sim only deal and sticking with this phone another year.

Hold off for a while. You may as well consider T-Mobile too. I was looking at SIM only deals t'other day. they're good and all that, but aside from the short length contract, they don't offer great value IMO.

Original post by Mad Vlad
It looks very pretty. Bit dear though at £9.14...

Agreed. Though if I knew where I could get it for free...
Reply 4621
Original post by Mad Vlad
Which phone?

Samsung Galaxy S.
Original post by mikeyd85
Hold off for a while. You may as well consider T-Mobile too. I was looking at SIM only deals t'other day. they're good and all that, but aside from the short length contract, they don't offer great value IMO.

Well I'd rather stay on Orange tbh, better signal, plus orange wednesday...

Anyway the two companies have joined as one now haven't they?

I'd like to keep my phone number this time aswell.
Original post by Yawn11
Samsung Galaxy S.

Yep, if you sign up online for free you can get T-Mobile signal as an Orange customer...this means I now get signal throughout my house rather than just in one room :ahee:
Original post by Yawn11
Samsung Galaxy S.

Exactly. Just saying because I find T-Mob to be a bit cheaper than Orange. You can always keep your number when changing contracts, just ask the people you are leaving to provide you with a PAC code.
Original post by Yawn11
Samsung Galaxy S.

Everyone seems to get that whether they are an Orange customer or not lol

You can take your number with you wherever you go. As MikeyD said, SIM only isn't as good value as a contract but has the added flexibility. If you don't need the flexibility of being able to change your minutes or network whenever you want, then a contract is much better imo.

By the end of this month, Orange should have the Samsgung Galaxy S2. The SGS will drop further in price.
I think I am the only person here getting raped by their contract. £35 a month for my DHD. Ah well thats the fail part of getting phones on release...
Reply 4626
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yep, if you sign up online for free you can get T-Mobile signal as an Orange customer...this means I now get signal throughout my house rather than just in one room :ahee:

Link? :eyeball:

Original post by silent ninja
Everyone seems to get that whether they are an Orange customer or not lol

You can take your number with you wherever you go. As MikeyD said, SIM only isn't as good value as a contract but has the added flexibility. If you don't need the flexibility of being able to change your minutes or network whenever you want, then a contract is much better imo.

By the end of this month, Orange should have the Samsgung Galaxy S2. The SGS will drop further in price.

But then surely if there isn't siginificant improvement in thew phones' capability/features then I'd be better of saving my money on sim only contract? Plus it would be shorter length than a normal one wouldn't it?

Even with dual cores, I can't imagine SGS2 or iPhone 5 having something I'd really want, or being able to do something my SGS is incapable of doing.
Original post by rorydaredking
I think I am the only person here getting raped by their contract. £35 a month for my DHD. Ah well thats the fail part of getting phones on release...

I've never got a contract, always prefer to buy the handset (unlocked) and use PAYG SIMs.
Original post by Yawn11
Cheers, that was easy :biggrin:

Ha ha I know! :awesome:
Original post by Yawn11
Link? :eyeball:

But then surely if there isn't siginificant improvement in thew phones' capability/features then I'd be better of saving my money on sim only contract? Plus it would be shorter length than a normal one wouldn't it?

Even with dual cores, I can't imagine SGS2 or iPhone 5 having something I'd really want, or being able to do something my SGS is incapable of doing.

Depends what you use it for. From the sounds of it, you'd be fine on the SGS.
SIM free it's still a £300 phone. Shop around. You might get a contract for less than that eg here are two
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s-300-mins-1-000-txts-truly-unlimited-internet-24-month-contract/914696
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/talkmobile-deals-with-samsung-galaxy-s-12-month-contract-375-one-stop-phone-shop/915304
not many minutes but it's 12 months and a good price. Neither is Orange but gives you an idea of what you should be able to get.

The new models aren't offering a great deal more, stuff like HD mirroring, full 1080p recording, marginally better screens, better processors. No major upgrades really.
(edited 13 years ago)
really thinking of going into app dev this summer, thanks for the links guys..
Reply 4633
Original post by silent ninja
Depends what you use it for. From the sounds of it, you'd be fine on the SGS.
SIM free it's still a £300 phone. Shop around. You might get a contract for less than that eg here are two
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s-300-mins-1-000-txts-truly-unlimited-internet-24-month-contract/914696
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/talkmobile-deals-with-samsung-galaxy-s-12-month-contract-375-one-stop-phone-shop/915304
not many minutes but it's 12 months and a good price. Neither is Orange but gives you an idea of what you should be able to get.

The new models aren't offering a great deal more, stuff like HD mirroring, full 1080p recording, marginally better screens, better processors. No major upgrades really.

Those deals require cash upfront for the phone.

I already HAVE a SGS lol, bought PAYG a few months ago for 250
Original post by Yawn11
Those deals require cash upfront for the phone.

I already HAVE a SGS lol, bought PAYG a few months ago for 250

oh ok i thought you were looking for one lol SIM only is best bet and see what happens during the year. There's no point upgrading yet I don't think. Nothing major.

Nice. I wouldn't mind giving SPB Shell 3D a go. Then iPhone users will really go green. :smile:

I would have jumped all over that by now if it wasn't 15 bucks. I have the money but honestly it's just a luncher. I'm using Zeam right now and I can access any application or widget in about 1 second.

I don't think 15 is worth the eye candy; however if it does go down in price (around 5 bucks) I'd pick it up and see how it is.
Original post by Yawn11

Original post by Yawn11
I recently got a call from Orange telling me my contract expires in July...

Wondering if it will be worth upgrading to something like samsung galaxy s2 or better.

Or just getting a sim only deal and sticking with this phone another year.

You should definitely wait for the Galaxy S 2. It has pretty much improved across the board compared to the GS 1. Bigger screen, bigger battery, improved file system, better camera (and a FFC as well), faster, better screen.... I could go on and on lol.

I'm definitely holding on to my upgrade until it gets released and the reviews start rolling in.

Agreed. Though if I knew where I could get it for free...

I managed to use the new one and the slightly older one for a while. It's 15 minutes worth of fun and awesomeness, showing your apple friends and they're like :zomg: however it feels really restrictive as a launcher. Going back to LPP felt like I was more free. IMO not worth the price tag.
Original post by rorydaredking

Not at all, when the DHD came out the contract prices were outrageous, like starting at £40 for 18 months. I pay 30 @ month for for 18 months (£30 pounds for the handset) and this was back when it first came out. Comes to 570 overall which is not to bad in my books.
Reply 4639
Anyone heard much about the Asus EEE Pad? Information seems a bit thin on the ground regarding release dates about it...:s-smilie:

It looks pretty good...

Latest

Trending

Trending