40-49% 14%
50-59% 14%
60-69% 0%
70-79% 14%
80-89% 0%
90-99% 0%
100%0%
Total votes: 7
What proportion of medicine hopefulls are applying just to impress family members?

Being a GP sound so boring, yes there's money but really years of applied biochemistry just hear about little timothy's ear infection, or aunty debra's gammy foot, or granny miggin's dodgy hip.

Come on chaps what do we reckon?
Reply 1
loool I know what you mean. My grandmother keeps pressurising me into studying medicine to become a doctor, when I have no interest in it whatsoever! I think it's because most of our family members are doctors, nurses, lawyers, engineers and school directors (I have a huge family). So she expects me to follow when I don't think I can handle it.
Reply 2
Original post by x_chichi_x
loool I know what you mean. My grandmother keeps pressurising me into studying medicine to become a doctor, when I have no interest in it whatsoever! I think it's because most of our family members are doctors, nurses, lawyers, engineers and school directors (I have a huge family). So she expects me to follow when I don't think I can handle it.

That must be really anoying to say the least; it's a similar situation with universities so what if someone gets into imperial or manchester, if it's not oxford (Or ocassionally) Cambridge then they it ain't s****.

What are you interested in by the way? Sorry if it says it in your profile.
Reply 3
Original post by PendulumBoB
That must be really anoying to say the least; it's a similar situation with universities so what if someone gets into imperial or manchester, if it's not oxford (Or ocassionally) Cambridge then they it ain't s****.

What are you interested in by the way? Sorry if it says it in your profile.

Ermm, I'm not too sure exactly what I want to do with my life, but I seem more like the social science type. I've always been better with essay writing subjects rather than science. I'm not too bad with science though, but maths hasn't been my strongest point either :/ You?
Reply 4
Ermm, I'm not too sure exactly what I want to do with my life, but I seem more like the social science type. I've always been better with essay writing subjects rather than science. I'm not too bad with science though, but maths hasn't been my strongest point either :/ You?

Maths and science actually, but mainly maths. If you're feeling the pressure to be a doctor, why not train to be a phychiatrist?
Reply 5
Maths and science actually, but mainly maths. If you're feeling the pressure to be a doctor, why not train to be a phychiatrist?

Doesn't it require the same/similar subjects/entry requirements? I have an uncle who's a psychiatrist, but I think he did study medicine first then became a psychiatrist. Don't I have to go through all that first?
Reply 6
Doesn't it require the same/similar subjects/entry requirements? I have an uncle who's a psychiatrist, but I think he did study medicine first then became a psychiatrist. Don't I have to go through all that first?

Oh really? Surely there's an alternative route?
Reply 7

Yh, I just had a quick look through KCL and UCL and it's under 'Neuroscience' which requires Chemistry or Biology plus maths or physics. I already do Chemistry but none of the others. I'm doing OK, but I'm not sure if I wanna do Maths or any of the others. Chemistry is hard enough :/
Reply 8
Yh, I just had a quick look through KCL and UCL and it's under 'Neuroscience' which requires Chemistry or Biology plus maths or physics. I already do Chemistry but none of the others. I'm doing OK, but I'm not sure if I wanna do Maths or any of the others. Chemistry is hard enough :/

Maths is easier than chemistry (I believe most people find this to be the case not just me) What year are you in currently?
Reply 9
Maths is easier than chemistry (I believe most people find this to be the case not just me) What year are you in currently?

yr 12
Reply 10
yr 12

I guess it would be too late to take up maths now, unless you did as an independant student(not that you'd necessarily want to).

To be a psychiatrist you need to have a degree in Medicine first. There is no 'alternative'... it is (broadly speaking) a specialty in the same way that neurology, cardiology etc. is.

In answer to the question:
I know my family are proud of what I'm doing... I'll be the first one in the family too. I'm studying Medicine for me though, I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather do :smile:
Reply 12
My Gran is unimpressed because she doesn't like doctors. She keeps yapping about how I should have done accounting and finance at Bath like some girl she knows - but I probably wouldn't have got a place according to her :teehee:
My grandmother asked me last week what exactly made me interested in medicine and why on earth did I choose to do it. Only to be replied to by my granddad who said "Why, what's wrong with it? :colonhash:"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending