The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra - East Anglia, or stick with Goldsmiths?

So rejection/rejection/rejection left me with two offers,
English at Goldsmiths and Bournemouth (neither of which I am over-keen on).
I raised this point with some friends and teachers, who suggested that UCAS Extra may have some interesting places that I might have missed out on when initially applying. Since then, I have done A HELL of a lot of research on East Anglia, and feel a little bit silly for not putting it on in the first place.

The frustrating part of this is, though I had my heart set on a 'straight' English course, the only UEA option available to me through extra is American and English Literature with a year abroad. My predicted grades are above what is required for the course, so I think it is well within my reach, and English at UEA is ranked higher on any league table than Goldsmiths.

Would it be worth doing what is a year longer course (though that year would be spent at an American institution), that is not 'straight' Q300 English, and therefore may be neither as academically rigorous or as well regarded as the Goldsmiths course I have been given an offer for?

Thanks, Stef.

Suggestions from those who have experienced either course would be particularly helpful.
Applying for the East Anglia course would mean, obviously, rejecting the two I have been accepted on.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How do you know what is available in clearing?

Aside from that, you should go for the course you think you would be happiest on, the one which interests you more. There is nothing wrong with American and English Lit but if you neither want to study American Lit or go there for a year then making that decision purely so you can go to UEA may not be the best idea.

Clearing is likely to be harsh this year.
Reply 2
Thankyou for your reply! Ah, sorry I meant extra not clearing, I'll go back and change that. Also I would love to go on a year abroad, as I'm half American myself, and have always been interested in its culture etc, but I'm a bit worried the course might be too 'America Is Great' preachy?
Reply 3
STICK WITH GOLDSMITHS for sure (o;
Reply 4
East Anglia, and then change once you get there :colone:
You have to think whether you would be happy at Goldsmiths? If not then try extra, if you wouldn't be then there is no point even considering it and you should go into extra.
Reply 6
I would be happy at Goldsmiths, it just doesn't seem like a place 'renowned' for its English course, though in terms of being in a buzzy + creative area it might be better for me? (as somebody moving from a Devon hamlet intent on broadening cultural horizons!)
Reply 7
Original post by ussumane
East Anglia, and then change once you get there :colone:

change to what? straight English?
Reply 8
Original post by cloudofdestiny
change to what? straight English?

:yep:
Reply 9
Is that even possible? The straight English course is ridiculously over-subscribed apparently, and only about half of the first year American & English Lit modules fit in with the English course! (the rest covering American idols/ideologies etc)
I would be happy at Goldsmiths, it just doesn't seem like a place 'renowned' for its English course, though in terms of being in a buzzy + creative area it might be better for me? (as somebody moving from a Devon hamlet intent on broadening cultural horizons!)

You are right UEA has a better reputation for English, but straight English is more prestigious than English and American Literature.

With UEA you do get a year abroad which is a bonus from an experience perspective, on the other hand London will definitely be better for cultural reasons and will have a lot more going on than Norwich. Although Norwich is still a great city, from what I have heard.
Original post by Jack McGill
London will definitely be better for cultural reasons and will have a lot more going on than Norwich. Although Norwich is still a great city, from what I have heard.

That's the thing, because Norwich definitey has ENOUGH going on for me to really enjoy my time there, especially when coupled with a Uni so high in student satisfaction. But to me, the huge variety and unpredictability of London seems pretty incomparable!
Another redeeming factor about East Anglia is that the course asks for BBB, thus giving me more of a chance of exceeding my offer and the chance to look for straight English courses (including potentially UEA's own) in adjustment. My current Goldsmiths offer is AAB.
Reply 13
The American Studies school is expanding, which is probably why this has flagged up with a relatively low entry requirement. UEA has the best Creative Writing course in the country, and it's part of the School of Literature. Many workshops going on, top authors coming in to give talks and so on. There are a lot of people who would give their right arm to get in here, just to be in the environment.

America has produced one or two good writers over the years, you know :tongue:
Another redeeming factor about East Anglia is that the course asks for BBB, thus giving me more of a chance of exceeding my offer and the chance to look for straight English courses (including potentially UEA's own) in adjustment. My current Goldsmiths offer is AAB.

From what I have heard English is very popular as a course in general so to get an offer from a decent uni in clearing/adjustment could be quite difficult.

That is considerably lower than Goldsmiths and UEA is considered a better univeristy as well, so I think either way it will the right decision. Saying that don't base your choices on student satisfaction stats, they are often only filled in by a small minority of students.
That's the thing, because Norwich definitey has ENOUGH going on for me to really enjoy my time there, especially when coupled with a Uni so high in student satisfaction. But to me, the huge variety and unpredictability of London seems pretty incomparable!

That's probably because it is, London is a far bigger and more diverse city.
Original post by Jack McGill
That's probably because it is, London is a far bigger and more diverse city.

But is everything the city of London has to offer worth persuading me away from UEA, Norwich and this potential year abroad (in California/New York etc)? I guess straight English course + the diversity of London are the two major advantages of Goldsmiths. But UEA is better regarded, though American Literature/Studies isn't as well regarded as English. Hm.
Reply 17
Is that even possible?

Universities will sometimes leave spaces open for transfers (current first year undergraduates who chose to transfer once they start university) but this does vary and you certainly cannot rely on in. Esepcially as, even if you can transfer in theory, places can be competitive.

But why do you assume the UEA course is less academic? Do you have any reason for suspecting that it's "yeah America!!!!". It's a course looking at American literature. I really don't see why it should be assumed that it's less respected than English Literature and doesn't have a serious focus on literature.

Why not make a thread in the UEA forum and ask current or past students for their opinions of the course?
I guess I worry it's less academic merely because it's under the 'American Studies' department rather than English/Literature or similar.
(edited 13 years ago)
I guess I worry it's less academic merely because it's under the 'American Studies' department rather than English/Literature or similar.

If I was in the same situation I would have similar concerns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending