The Student Room Group

Why is bodybuilding not often considered to be a "real" talent/sport by most people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's not a sport, its a beauty pageant for meatheads
Reply 21
Original post by RawJoh1
Is figure skating a sport? I think so, but that's qualitative.

Figure skating is a pretty girly sport though - Highest number of gay males participating of any sport I've heard.

Manly sports are objective - fastest, highest, longest etc.

IMO bodybuilding suffers from the perception of too many gay 'hangers on' hanging around it (deserved or not) - and a reputation (deserved or not) for rampant steroid abuse.
Reply 22
Because most of it is like runescape - no skill, all effort(vast amounts of effort).
Bodybuilding =/= sport

Powerlifiting/Weightlifitng = sport...

In my opinion anyway...
Reply 24
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle!
It's an eternal challenge with weights and it shows you how training and determination can make you exceed your mind's predictions!
Original post by Planar
Because most of it is like runescape - no skill, all effort(vast amounts of effort).

too true, way too true. :colone:
Reply 26
Original post by Joinedup
Figure skating is a pretty girly sport though - Highest number of gay males participating of any sport I've heard.

Manly sports are objective - fastest, highest, longest etc.

IMO bodybuilding suffers from the perception of too many gay 'hangers on' hanging around it (deserved or not) - and a reputation (deserved or not) for rampant steroid abuse.

Ah OK, but isn't this now talking about something else? "Manly" sports, instead of sports generally. I don't know very much about figure skating, but I guess gymnastics is typically seen by people not involved in it as a girly sport. Don't think that makes gymnastics not very impressive though, I think it's incredibly impressive.

I agree with the steroids point, that is one reason BB is unlikely to go mainstream.
Reply 27
Hmmm - I'd never thought of Gymnastics as unmanly tbh but they have different events for the male and female atheletes.
There is an objective element to the marking of gymnastics too I think - but I'm not an expert.

---
Heard an interview with that guy who trained Arnie on the radio - No doubt those guys train as hard as any sports people, but it's not something you're going to get much respect for cos it looks too much like a beauty queen contest.

Quick Reply

Latest