The Student Room Group

Why best friends turn horrible

Im a 17 year old male, and i've been friends with my mate for quite a while. LIke we would more less hang out together, and tell each other things. It was all normal until about halfway trhough year 12, he's just drifted away. I only noticed because, i realised in college i was always starting conversations, and he was replying briefly, so i decided to stop, and he never even talks to me.

Him and my other mate plan things without me and stuff and i don't get it, i was always loyal. Worst thing was he was going to miss a lesson, and i was right next to him, and he gets up walks across the room, and tells another person who he only met this year, "tell the teacher i'm gonna miss this lesson...." How can he go from being a best mate to a stranger for no reason.
Has this happened to anyone else

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Often.

It normally happens because there's no excitement in a relationship any more.
Reply 2
Original post by Nepene
Often.

It normally happens because there's no excitement in a relationship any more.

I know what you mean. But isn't friendship all about sticking with someone no matter what. I always wwas always nice to them, even when were ridiculous, and would sit there till twelve on msn, when they a relationship problem, despite the fact they would never reciprocate that favour.

It really hurts, it makes me feel like never wanting open myself up again so much.
Reply 3
Original post by canthardlywait
I know what you mean. But isn't friendship all about sticking with someone no matter what. I always wwas always nice to them, even when were ridiculous, and would sit there till twelve on msn, when they a relationship problem, despite the fact they would never reciprocate that favour.

It really hurts, it makes me feel like never wanting open myself up again so much.

Platonic friend.

See, the problem with just listening is that you're a blank board. They enjoy being with you but there's nothing unique about you that another listener can't also do.

So, when they find a replacement, they move on.

Also, note. Nice is boring. Calling someone nice is an insult.
Reply 4
Original post by Nepene
Platonic friend.

See, the problem with just listening is that you're a blank board. They enjoy being with you but there's nothing unique about you that another listener can't also do.

So, when they find a replacement, they move on.

Also, note. Nice is boring. Calling someone nice is an insult.

I obviously talk to them aswel, I'm not just a sit there listen type person. What i mean is i never was a dickhead to them.
Reply 5
Im in the same situation, I just wrote a long email to my best friend pouring out my feelings, not I hope she understands instead of thinking im a bitch and pointing out her faults, gah it's scary, these feelings have been built over 3 years!
Reply 6
Original post by Sam89
Im in the same situation, I just wrote a long email to my best friend pouring out my feelings, not I hope she understands instead of thinking im a bitch and pointing out her faults, gah it's scary, these feelings have been built over 3 years!

It hurts doesn't it. Thing is i wouldn't to pour out my feelings. I feel really annoyed and hurt by it, and feel like never talking to them again
Reply 7
I obviously talk to them aswel, I'm not just a sit there listen type person. What i mean is i never was a dickhead to them.

Taking control is fun. It's great fun to have dominance struggles with other guys.

Being a dickhead often makes you a better person because you express your own opinions. People find it exciting thinking about new things. Other dickhead characteristics are less fun, but the opinionated bit is good.

It hurts doesn't it. Thing is i wouldn't to pour out my feelings. I feel really annoyed and hurt by it, and feel like never talking to them again

Yeah. It's good to speak your feelings. Emotions are exciting. Going "haha, you dickhead." can be quite fun.
(edited 13 years ago)
Dude, my homies would never leave me. I'm too brilliant.
Stop moping, find some new bro's.
Reply 9

I don't think the only reason is that he's getting bored of you. Friendship becomes a habit over the time, and boredom alone cannot really change a habit. Unless he's going through some serious personality-changing process, it seems to me that he may be mad at you for some reasons.
Original post by jiayi930829
I don't think the only reason is that he's getting bored of you. Friendship becomes a habit over the time, and boredom alone cannot really change a habit. Unless he's going through some serious personality-changing process, it seems to me that he may be mad at you for some reasons.

I can't see why he'd be mad. If he's going off some rumours then he really must be gullible.
Reply 11
I think maybe the person needed some 'space' or 'time alone'. After a while, you kinda get bored of seeing the same face all the time and talking to the same person. Just give him some time (don't talk to him so much and act like it doesn't bother you because then you look clingy) and sooner or later he'll want to talk to you again, OK?
Original post by x_chichi_x
I think maybe the person needed some 'space' or 'time alone'. After a while, you kinda get bored of seeing the same face all the time and talking to the same person. Just give him some time (don't talk to him so much and act like it doesn't bother you because then you look clingy) and sooner or later he'll want to talk to you again, OK?

It's been like that since january till now.
And how come i never feel that way about friends, even if i did naturally get bored, i still never showed it, i remained a friend
Reply 13

Hurt isn't the word. I know what you mean, when you open up to someone so much and all of a sudden they become distant. With me it's a bit different, it's more like she started using me and putting me second best to every tom, dick and harry...

I would say you need to talk to him and see what he says?
I can't see why he'd be mad. If he's going off some rumours then he really must be gullible.

Then forget about him, mates don't drift away, find yourself some new ones.
this happened to me before ( only when I was still a kid though).

There must be some misunderstandings between you guys; OR
you are doing something irritating to him that you do not realise.

I have a friend who is VERY clingy and demanding and I started to find her very irritating and annoying for a period. I became rather distant with her and sort of avoided her at that time too but she was very insensitive, didnt realise it and kept on with her clingy behaviours.
Reply 16
It's been like that since january till now.
And how come i never feel that way about friends, even if i did naturally get bored, i still never showed it, i remained a friend

Oh, then maybe he just wants some new friends then. It's a bit of a harsh way to go about it but there's not much you can do tbh. Not everyone is as loyal as you, though it would be nice.
make sure you are not being manipulative also **
Try asking your mutual friends ( those that are both close to you and him) and check out if they learnt anything from him about disliking you?

:smile: good luck. I think yr a good friend
Original post by Sam89
Hurt isn't the word. I know what you mean, when you open up to someone so much and all of a sudden they become distant. With me it's a bit different, it's more like she started using me and putting me second best to every tom, dick and harry...

I would say you need to talk to him and see what he says?

Perhaps the word is betrayed. Yeah i did open up , and tell him secrets and stuff, and thats why it hurts, because he obviously didn't appreciate me telling him. It's hard to talk though, maybe it's easier for females to do that, but theres a certain element of dignity involved i guess.
Original post by tealandtaup
make sure you are not being manipulative also **
Try asking your mutual friends ( those that are both close to you and him) and check out if they learnt anything from him about disliking you?

:smile: good luck. I think yr a good friend

Thank you. I don't think iv'e been manipulative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending