The Student Room Group

Bath or Warwick?

Im really stuck and unsure as to which uni to go to for maths this year. I know most people would say Warwick but the thing is, their offer is so high i dont think i'll get it.

I think both departments are quite big right? But would the Warwick course be more challenging than the Bath one? (then again this all depends on which uni i go for)

And Bath is still pretty good too, but any advice anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you've visited both universities, whichever you feel 'at home' in. It's important to love the place where you're studying regardless of whether or not it's considered better than other places. You'll get a wonderful degree in either case.
Reply 2
you'll always have an insurance if you don't make warwicks offer? Have you visited both?
Go to the one you would prefer to spend 3 or 4 years at. They are both great Universities so you can't go too far wrong :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Go to the one you would prefer to spend 3 or 4 years at. They are both great Universities so you can't go too far wrong :smile:

Work hard and firm Warwick and insure Bath. I get the impression you prefer Warwick.
If you want to go into Investment Banking later on, then go for Warwick. It is a target university for the banks.
By the sounds of it you prefer Warwick but aren't sure you'll make it? Why not then just firm Warwick and Insurance Bath?
Reply 7
Original post by hassi94
By the sounds of it you prefer Warwick but aren't sure you'll make it? Why not then just firm Warwick and Insurance Bath?

because warwick and bath both ask for AEA and im not too confident with that exam. So im defiantly going to have notts as my insurance, its just the problem between choosing bath and warwick as a firm.

and as for going into investment banking yes i would like to do something like that but its just this fear that i wont reach their offer.
Original post by Haly
because warwick and bath both ask for AEA and im not too confident with that exam. So im defiantly going to have notts as my insurance, its just the problem between choosing bath and warwick as a firm.

and as for going into investment banking yes i would like to do something like that but its just this fear that i wont reach their offer.

Ahh right I see. So why is warwick offer any harder than bath? Could you tell us both the offers?
Reply 9
Original post by hassi94
Ahh right I see. So why is warwick offer any harder than bath? Could you tell us both the offers?

oh right yeh sorry,

warwick- A*A*A +distinction in AEA (A*-maths and further maths)
bath- A*AB +merit in AEA (A* in maths, A in FM)

btw i already have the A* in Maths
Hmm. Have you done any practice AEA papers? If so how're you doing on them?
Reply 11
Original post by hassi94
Hmm. Have you done any practice AEA papers? If so how're you doing on them?

well the thing is, in my heasd im assuming the AEA exam is an extremely hard exam, i attempted the first question which took me 30mins only to realise that there was a simpler method i could have used but just didnt think of it because i thought the exam is sooo hard.

other than that it shouldnt be too hard, but i spoke to my math teachers who know me well and they said the paper is hard, so im thinking they think i cant get that distinction :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I'd personally choose Warwick. It is highly regarded and respected. Bath is not too far off though so don't think Bath will put you in a disadvantage.

Please do not only take reputation of a university into account. There are other factors that should be taken into consideration such as course content/modules, social life, location, entry requirement (that is realistic).

At the end of the day, you do not want to go to a university which is apparently highly reputable but the enviroment do not suit you. This could really demotivate you and hinder your chances of doing well in your university life.

Hope this helps in some way
Reply 13
Original post by Haly
oh right yeh sorry,

warwick- A*A*A +distinction in AEA (A*-maths and further maths)
bath- A*AB +merit in AEA (A* in maths, A in FM)

btw i already have the A* in Maths

I'd go for Warwick, I know little about the course but its a great university to be at and im sure you would enjoy it. If it is just the level of offer causing you concern dont forget to speak to your teachers and ask what they think you are capable of like if they predict you the Warwick grades ask whether that prediction is you would only just get that or comfortably do it

Plus im by no means saying that you should rely on this but if you only just miss the offer they may still let you in anyway. I just graduated from there after doing a business course, part of my offer was B in maths but I had a disaster of an exam and got a C but they still confirmed my place by UCAS and didnt even need to speak to them to ask!

Of course il never know how they make a decision in a case like that, might have been as I well exceeded the offer in each other area including doing more A levels than the offer required or they just had places. Im not saying dont work hard to meet it but if you do go for it and only just miss it you may be ok anyway.
If I were you I'd go for Warwick and start doing past papers and practicing for the AEA. You've got it easy really, most Warwick applicants are asked to do the STEP which is even harder! Try your absolute best and then if you make it, great, if not there's always notts :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by hassi94
If I were you I'd go for Warwick and start doing past papers and practicing for the AEA. You've got it easy really, most Warwick applicants are asked to do the STEP which is even harder! Try your absolute best and then if you make it, great, if not there's always notts :smile:

They give you a range of offers when you apply for warwick maths.

You can choose out of :

A*A*A 2
A*AA 1
A*A*A - distinction

The step offers are in step 2 and step 3 I think.

My friends doing the same and going for AEA instead of STEP as they literally have no idea where to start with the STEP exams while atleast AEA is more like a very hard A level maths paper.
Reply 16
Warwick = Maths. Nuff said.
Reply 17
My sister is in her second year of Maths in Bath Uni. She is finding it very difficult! Wherever you go to do the course it will be hard (obviously :P). She got the grades AAAC (C in physics, A-s in maths, FM and Music).
On the league tables Warwick is 4th and Bath is 16th but I read on a different thread that some people in Warwick are more stuck up than in Bath if you're basing your decision on that kind of thing too.
Its really where you want to go at the end of the day :smile:
Original post by Phil1541
They give you a range of offers when you apply for warwick maths.

You can choose out of :

A*A*A 2
A*AA 1
A*A*A - distinction

The step offers are in step 2 and step 3 I think.

My friends doing the same and going for AEA instead of STEP as they literally have no idea where to start with the STEP exams while atleast AEA is more like a very hard A level maths paper.

Ahh right I see. I'll be taking the STEP option anyway as hopefully I'll be taking STEP for Cambridge *fingers crossed*

I've looked at a STEP II paper and was only able to answer 1 full question. But I thought that was pretty good going since I've only done AS Maths/Further and haven't even started A2 yet :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by hassi94
Ahh right I see. I'll be taking the STEP option anyway as hopefully I'll be taking STEP for Cambridge *fingers crossed*

I've looked at a STEP II paper and was only able to answer 1 full question. But I thought that was pretty good going since I've only done AS Maths/Further and haven't even started A2 yet :smile:

Good luck for it :biggrin: I've only ever managed to do one step question and that was just a long integration question, Step is way out of my league so hopefully you get and make all those offers !

Quick Reply

Latest