The Student Room Group

Do you really need a desktop/laptop for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Young Spade
1) Have you used a Mac? If so, how did it compare to your computer?"
2) if not, then you have no right to ask that question.
3) I have used all kinds of PCs of various specs and recently switched to a Mac. IMO Mac > PC and I realized this after using it for 3 days.

i have tried a mac if you compare it to a pc for the same price it is inferior in all areas
Original post by Jacktri
i have tried a mac if you compare it to a pc for the same price it is inferior in all areas

Depends on what you want it for and what exactly you are looking for.
When I got my 13" MBP, I looked around for other similar 13" laptops that had decent specs and were thin and light. Anything that could compete was roughly the same price.
Original post by Jacktri

So you've tried out every single thing you can do on both a mac and a pc? Clearly you haven't, otherwise you would know that while pcs are superior for gaming and stuff, if you want to do more creative things, for example using drawing software or photo editing, anyone with any sense would go for a mac every time.

Macs and pcs both have their advantages and disadvantages, as someone who only really uses my computer for the internet and essay writing I prefer a mac for ease of use. Deciding what kind of computer you get is just a question of working out what your particular needs are, and which computer would best fulfill them.
Reply 63
Original post by superwolf
So you've tried out every single thing you can do on both a mac and a pc? Clearly you haven't, otherwise you would know that while pcs are superior for gaming and stuff, if you want to do more creative things, for example using drawing software or photo editing, anyone with any sense would go for a mac every time.

Macs and pcs both have their advantages and disadvantages, as someone who only really uses my computer for the internet and essay writing I prefer a mac for ease of use. Deciding what kind of computer you get is just a question of working out what your particular needs are, and which computer would best fulfill them.

why would you go for a mac when using photo editing or drawing software? this is software and has nothing to with the computer's hardware and anyway there are plenty of decent applications available to pcs so how exactly is a mac superior in this area?
Original post by Jacktri
why would you go for a mac when using photo editing or drawing software? this is software and has nothing to with the computer's hardware and anyway there are plenty of decent applications available to pcs so how exactly is a mac superior in this area?

Because there's more and better software available on macs. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I know several people who are, and they would all agree that macs are far better for that kind of thing.
Reply 65
Because there's more and better software available on macs. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I know several people who are, and they would all agree that macs are far better for that kind of thing.

adobe photoshop is better than any photo editing software on a mac
Original post by Jacktri
adobe photoshop is better than any photo editing software on a mac

And what exactly is stopping you from using photoshop on a mac? :confused:

I know about a dozen illustrators, animators and photographers, none of whom would dream of working on anything other than a mac.

I'm not going to argue any more about this, cos it's a bit boring and you're probably just trolling anyway.
Reply 67
And what exactly is stopping you from using photoshop on a mac? :confused:

I know about a dozen illustrators, animators and photographers, none of whom would dream of working on anything other than a mac.

I'm not going to argue any more about this, cos it's a bit boring and you're probably just trolling anyway.

they wouldn't dream of it because they are mac fan boys
Reply 68
Original post by 0906079
I need the portability of a laptop. My mum would go mental if I didn't come home at least once a month and also I don't do gaming anymore which was the strongest argument I had for a desktop. I actually had a Mac for a few years but it broke last month -.- but for the time I had it, it never caused me a single problem and I played games on that computer for hours every day.

I also had an Acer laptop which I bought for £400 and it practically stopped working after a year and I was having problems with it the month I got it. I know for a fact that a MacBook Pro would last me years and if it does break I can just call Apple and have it repaired in a week with AppleCare.

I used to hate Apple but am turning into a fanboy now.

Becuse macbooks are the only laptop that exists?

Get an IBM thinkpad, they are indestructable. I got one because I'm very clumsy, I've spilt whole glasses of coke on to it, dropped it down a flight of stairs, stood on it and after cleaning up the coke carefully not even a scratch, thank god for rubberised paint and a metal chasis.

Also macs are a piece of ****.
Reply 69

Wow.

Macs USED to be the only decent thing for designers. Nowadays PCs are better and that is agreed upon by many many studios and agencies. It just so happens many designers are mac fanboys and have been for a long time and because it was the standard it still is.

Guess what, I use photoshop and illustrator every day on my PC. Never had a single problem over the past 5 years. Its fast, it works, and I can game on the same computer. There are no disadvantages.

Designers dont know much about computers typically, they see someone like David Airey using a mac so they buy one.

Get educated.
Why do people care so much about this argument? Does it really bother you that much what type of computer another person uses for their own personal use? (ie. it's nothing to do with you).
Original post by wactm
Wow.

Macs USED to be the only decent thing for designers. Nowadays PCs are better and that is agreed upon by many many studios and agencies. It just so happens many designers are mac fanboys and have been for a long time and because it was the standard it still is.

Guess what, I use photoshop and illustrator every day on my PC. Never had a single problem over the past 5 years. Its fast, it works, and I can game on the same computer. There are no disadvantages.

Designers dont know much about computers typically, they see someone like David Airey using a mac so they buy one.

Get educated.

I never claimed to be an expert on design, only that I know some experts (several of whom work or have worked in an animation studio). And that they would unanimously agree that for their purpose a mac is better than a pc. I'm not going to argue any more with you though, because like I say I have no particular knowledge of this area.
Reply 72
Original post by Vitamin D
Why do people care so much about this argument? Does it really bother you that much what type of computer another person uses for their own personal use? (ie. it's nothing to do with you).

trying to help people make the right choice i'd rather help someone pick a good computer rather than let them waste hundreds of pounds more than they have to
Reply 73
Macs are the most over-hyped pieces of hardware on the market.
Mac users get hyper-defensive due to a sort of nagging feeling they've been ripped-off with their shiny pieces of crap.
If you really, really believed that the Mac OS was better, why not get a sony and then indulge in a bit of the old hackintosh??? It would be cheaper...
Original post by sloq
Mac users get hyper-defensive due to a sort of nagging feeling they've been ripped-off with their shiny pieces of crap.
If you really, really believed that the Mac OS was better, why not get a sony and then indulge in a bit of the old hackintosh??? It would be cheaper...

1 - As I said above, it depends on what part of the market you are look at. When you factor in the student discount, the 13" MBP is quite competitive with other 13" of a similar spec and size / weight.

2 - Hackintoshes can be unreliable and be a pain to set up and maintain. It depends on the hardware. In a desktop you can custom pick specific hardware so you know it will be compatible. You can't do that with laptops.
Reply 75
Original post by WelshBluebird
1 - As I said above, it depends on what part of the market you are look at. When you factor in the student discount, the 13" MBP is quite competitive with other 13" of a similar spec and size / weight.

2 - Hackintoshes can be unreliable and be a pain to set up and maintain. It depends on the hardware. In a desktop you can custom pick specific hardware so you know it will be compatible. You can't do that with laptops.

Do you feel the nagging doubt as you type away at your mac? Do ya feel it baby?
throughout my 3year undergraduate degree i found that the only real necessary use for a personal laptop was to.... watch..... stuff.... media.... like... uh, i'll stop there.
...ahem.

however for my postgraduate course it has become a whole lot more useful for me,now my parents have moved to live in england and they use the pc alot. i never had to do a dissertation for my undergraduate course - it was mostly exams - but my postgraduate course is a lot more coursework, and i will be making my first dissertation :'D i'll be using programmes like SPSS to do it, and will therefore need easy access to a computer.
and then when i finish my masters degree, i'll.... revert to using it main for........watching stuff.... on youtube....

Original post by sloq
Do you feel the nagging doubt as you type away at your mac? Do ya feel it baby?

Nope. Cos as I said, it was around the same price.
I was looking for a thin and light, but still quite powerful (IE. not an atom or a celeron or whatever) 13" laptop. They were all pretty much around the same price. The Macbook Pro has certain plus points that the other laptops did not have (much better trackpad, better battery life etc etc).

Why do people like you feel the need to troll all the time?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by WelshBluebird
Nope. Cos as I said, it was around the same price.
I was looking for a thin and light, but still quite powerful (IE. not an atom or a celeron or whatever) 13" laptop. They were all pretty much around the same price. The Macbook Pro has certain plus points that the other laptops did not have (much better trackpad, better battery life etc etc).

Why do people like you feel the need to troll all the time?

lol why do people like you need such stupid demands thin and light?? do you have weak woman arms or something? and how can you stand using the touchpad on your laptop i hate them they are so inaccurate and slow i use a mouse and you obviously weren't looking hard enough or you were looking at the wrong specs to compare so couldn't find a decent one for a lower price

Original post by sloq

Lol good one. YOu shouldn't make it so apparent when you're trolling, you'll get more responses.

IMO it pays for itself with the benefits it has over Windows computers. I wouldn't consider myself extremely advanced (base line code/terminal use) but I would say that I'm an experienced PC user. I recently switched to a Mac and I love it, don't think I'll be going back to Windows again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending