The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
This has nothing to do with liberty.

It has everything to do with liberty. Bigots oppose gun liberalisation because they themselves have no interest in guns. See the following:

If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
Original post by Selkarn
Yes, your views are extreme. However, hoplophobia has been pushed into the skulls of the masses so they simply scream no every time the subject is brought up, and so what a neutral party would see as extremely totalitarian and authoritarian, you simply see as the norm. Think 1984.

Gun laws have increasingly became more authoritarian and extreme. If we lived in a society with no gun control at all, and the current laws were proposed, the proposers would simply be laughed at for their bigotry and intolerance.

My views are not extreme.
If you knew me you'd know I don't form my opinions just on what I'm told to think. I support/believe in many ideals that are opposed by the majorty or the government.
I just happen to understand that guns being allowed on the streets = more danger. They do not make us safer, as people seem to think.
Reply 562
Original post by Emaemmaemily
^ Most of the above can be done with other guns.

I don't give a **** - I'm talking about handguns. You can't just change what I'm saying to suit yourself.
Reply 563
Original post by Good bloke
I love the way anyone who disagrees with you and wants a safer world is denigrated as an authoritarian.

Again, good argument. I suspect you may be coming around. You're a rational person who knows very well that the argument you are propositioning is extremely authoritarian and has no place in society.
Original post by Selkarn
I don't give a **** - I'm talking about handguns. You can't just change what I'm saying to suit yourself.

We don't want you to hold a weapon that you can easily conceal.
Reply 565
My views are not extreme.
If you knew me you'd know I don't form my opinions just on what I'm told to think. I support/believe in many ideals that are opposed by the majorty or the government.
I just happen to understand that guns being allowed on the streets = more danger. They do not make us safer, as people seem to think.

For the love of.. ok. I'm talking about handguns. Get that into your skull.
Original post by Selkarn

Well the whole point that you responded to was that using guns for legitimate reasons IS legal. There's no reason for you to have a handgun that should be allowed (in my opinion).
The only thing they do that other guns don't is be easily concealed... How is that safe for our society?

That was my point... I didn't change anything to suit me.
Reply 567
We don't want you to hold a weapon that you can easily conceal.

I don't want people to drive extremely fast cars which could kill 20 people in a single accident. However, I respect their liberty to do that. Just because I personally don't want something doesn't mean I have the right to deny them their freedom to do it.

Sadly, that's not the case with you authoritarians. You don't want something, therefore, it should be illegal.
Original post by Selkarn
For the love of.. ok. I'm talking about handguns. Get that into your skull.

Stop saying "get that into your skull".
I know you're talking about handguns, SO AM I!
Reply 569
There's no reason for you to have a handgun that should be allowed (in my opinion).

If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.

So because of your opinion, you would deny all of the above their freedom to engage in something that, in their view, would benefit them/give them pleasure/make them feel better? Even though you would not be affected by any of the above at all, you still deny them it?
Original post by Selkarn
So because of your opinion, you would deny all of the above their freedom to engage in something that, in their view, would benefit them/give them pleasure/make them feel better? Even though you would not be affected by any of the above at all, you still deny them it?

I would be affected by it. Handguns are dangerous to society. It would mean that most criminals would gain access to them, making any encounter with them a LOT or dangerous... I've already explained how it would affect society, I'm not repeating it all.
The presense of these guns WOULD make society more dangerous, which is why YES we should stop it.
Reply 571
and the Dalai Lama and Gandhi were and are pacifists who renounced violence utterly.

Yet they still realised the need for self defence and that violence in self defence is very approriate given the circumstances
Original post by Selkarn
It has everything to do with liberty. Bigots oppose gun liberalisation because they themselves have no interest in guns. See the following:

You're a bit dim, has anyone ever told you that?

Fact is that in the States, both the murder rate and the number of those murders committed with fireams figures are, proportionally speaking, substantially higher than in almost every European country, including the UK, where gun control is very strict.

UK:
Murders: 1.28 per 100,000 inhabitants, making us one of the safest large (population of 30m+) countries in the world.
Firearms murders: 0.12 per 100,000 (8%)

USA:
Murders: 5.0 per 100,000 inhabitants, higher than Afghanistan, Libya, Iran and Syria.
Firearms murders: 2.97 per 100,000 (46%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_crime

(The data for homicides and gun homicides are taken from different years, hence the percentage disparity)

I am at pains to point out that there could well be other factors influencing these figures, but frankly it paints a pretty damning picture of lax gun legislation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 573
I would be affected by it. Handguns are dangerous to society. It would mean that most criminals would gain access to them, making any encounter with them a LOT or dangerous... I've already explained how it would affect society, I'm not repeating it all.
The presense of these guns WOULD make society more dangerous, which is why YES we should stop it.

bull**** bull**** bull****, society was no more dangerous before 1997, one incident, dunlblane and they were banned. More illegal handguns turned up after the ban. Concealability has nothing to do with it, if someone can get a licence for a .50 cal rifle he should be able to get one for a handgun. You can saw your barrel off a rifle or a shotgun.

these are still legal here but have had the barrel extended to meet length requirements
Original post by Hardballer
Yet they still realised the need for self defence and that violence in self defence is very approriate given the circumstances

Yes, on a national level, not extending to individual rights to bear whatever weapons you want.
Original post by Selkarn
I don't want people to drive extremely fast cars which could kill 20 people in a single accident. However, I respect their liberty to do that. Just because I personally don't want something doesn't mean I have the right to deny them their freedom to do it.

Sadly, that's not the case with you authoritarians. You don't want something, therefore, it should be illegal.

I don't deny you your freedom to walk about waving guns about, and whether I wish to do it isn't relevant. Society denies you the opportunity to frighten, threaten or harm (whether intentionally or accidentally) other people with a device that has no practical purpose other than to do those things and be capable of concealment. The loss of sports pistol shooting is an unfortunate consequence but it is the public interest, on balance. Other, valid, uses of handguns are covered by statutory exceptions to the ban.
Reply 576
I am at pains to point out that there could well be other factors influencing these figures, but frankly it paints a pretty damning picture of lax gun legislation.

thats two countries you're comparing. how about the other 190?
Reply 577
Other, valid, uses of handguns are covered by statutory exceptions to the ban.

modern handguns are still legal for humane dispatch
muzzle loaders for target shooting
long barreled revolvers for target shooting

but a few more inches on the barrel doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
if someone wanted to misuse it they could saw the barrel off
banning handguns makes no sense, its not in the public interest.
thats two countries you're comparing. how about the other 190?

We've already shown that the favourite of the gun lobby, Switzerland, has a much higher gun crime and death rate that the likes of Britain.
bull**** bull**** bull****, society was no more dangerous before 1997, one incident, dunlblane and they were banned. More illegal handguns turned up after the ban. Concealability has nothing to do with it, if someone can get a licence for a .50 cal rifle he should be able to get one for a handgun. You can saw your barrel off a rifle or a shotgun.

these are still legal here but have had the barrel extended to meet length requirements

Yes, society is safer now. Our stricter gun laws means there is hardly ANY gun crime in this country.
In my opinion, that gun shoudn't be allowed... But at least it's big enough to be hard to conceal.
There are still a lot of restrictions on how to store them and things though, which is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending