The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hardballer
thats two countries you're comparing. how about the other 190?

No developed nation has a higher homicide or gun homicide rate than the USA.

And frankly it's pointless to compare developing nations to developed nations. Sure, you could point out that Colombia and Mexico have drastically higher murder and firearms murder rates/100,000 people than the USA, but then they're both in the middle of a pointless war on drugs.
Reply 581
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Yes, on a national level, not extending to individual rights to bear whatever weapons you want.

no they meant individually. He said if someone is trying to shoot you it would be appropriate to fight back, not if someone is trying to nuke your country it would be appropriate to nuke them back
its not in the public interest.

Now that, you see, is the crux of the matter. Only you and a few of your cronies would agree with that. The rest of us don't.
Reply 583
No developed nation has a higher homicide or gun homicide rate than the USA.

And frankly it's pointless to compare developing nations to developed nations. Sure, you could point out that Colombia and Mexico have drastically higher murder and firearms murder rates/100,000 people than the USA, but then they're both in the middle of a toxic war on drugs.

Switzerland has more guns per capita, and Czech republic has just as liberal gun laws allowing conceal carry. Finland has a high ownership rate and France has 32 guns per 100 people whereas here we only have 5 guns per 100 people. In mexico theres strict gun laws and citizens can't defend themselves against drug gangs
Reply 584
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yes, society is safer now.

No its not! theres been a rise in gun crime since the handgun ban not before. Jeez haven't you been listening!
no they meant individually. He said if someone is trying to shoot you it would be appropriate to fight back, not if someone is trying to nuke your country it would be appropriate to nuke them back

Cited quotes or GTFO. These men are some of the most famous pacifists in history, and whilst anyone agrees with the concept of self-defence, that is a long way away from supporting the right to bear firearms with the intent to kill another human being.
No its not! theres been a rise in gun crime since the handgun ban not before. Jeez haven't you been listening!

I think it's you that hasn't been listening. (reading).
It may have risen slightly, but it's risen in accordance with GENERAL crimes, not on its own... And it's still almost the lowest in the world.

I don't understand how people can think gun ownership = safety.
But I have to go out now, I can't be bothered with this.
Reply 587
Just limit the legality of bb guns. Cant really do any serious damage, but will sting enough to vent off unwanted black people.
Switzerland has more guns per capita, and Czech republic has just as liberal gun laws allowing conceal carry. Finland has a high ownership rate and France has 32 guns per 100 people whereas here we only have 5 guns per 100 people. In mexico theres strict gun laws and citizens can't defend themselves against drug gangs

Yes, and Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Finland and France all have higher gun homicide rates/100,000 people than we do.

In Mexico any citizen can constitutionally buy firearms from a military-run armaments shop in Mexico City. The problem is not that guns are controlled in Mexico, but that guns are freely available across the US border. Thousands of tons of munitions and weapons are bought in Arizona and Texas and smuggled across the border and used to arm the cartels to the teeth against the Mexican federal police, army and marines.
Reply 589
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I would be affected by it.

WRONG. If someone had a hangdun, and kept it in a sealed box in my bedroom, and were not affected by it, then you are not affected by it in any way.
Reply 590
has strict gun laws really worked in this country?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371371/Stockwell-shop-shooting-Girl-5-critical-condition-gunman-fires-indiscriminately.html

**** no they haven't, we need our right to bear arms now, how was anyone on this street meant to defend themselves? and how does making it harder for law abiding sports shooters like me prevent shootings like this? I wonder if the shooter had a licence for his gun, yeh......****ing.......right

You're right. The 5 year old should've had a gun to defend herself with.
Reply 591
You're a bit dim, has anyone ever told you that?

I ignored the rest of your post as I don't play parley with ad-hominem attacks. I'm glad to see that Good Bloke has managed to move away from simple name-calling, now do the same.

If a tiny minority of people misuse their car and kill people, do you ban cars?
If a tiny minority of black people walk into a bar and kill people, do you ban all black people from bars?
If a tiny minority of factory owners pollute the water and kill people, do you ban all factories?
If a tiny minority of handgun owners misuse their guns and kill people, do you ban all handguns?
If a tiny minority of aeroplanes suffer malfunctions and kill people, do you ban all aeroplanes?
If a tiny minority of Muslims are terrorists, do you imprison all Muslims?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 592
Original post by Good bloke
I don't deny you your freedom to walk about waving guns about, and whether I wish to do it isn't relevant. Society denies you the opportunity to frighten, threaten or harm (whether intentionally or accidentally) other people with a device that has no practical purpose other than to do those things and be capable of concealment. The loss of sports pistol shooting is an unfortunate consequence but it is the public interest, on balance. Other, valid, uses of handguns are covered by statutory exceptions to the ban.

They aren't, which is the reason why I'm in this thread. Out of interest, do you actually know what said statutory exceptions are? Handguns over 100 years old are legal, for example. Imagine I was a keen handgun enthusiast who wished to have a handgun collection. I would keep the handgun locked away in a government regulated safe, and I would never take the handgun out on my possession. If I ever wished to transport the handgun, I would go to my local police station and inquire about it. In short, I would be a 100% co-operational, law abiding citizen. But, the bigoted law states that I could not.

I fully agree that I should be denied the right to frighten, threaten, or harm. But I should not be denied the freedom to purchase a handgun.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 593
Original post by Selkarn
I ignored the rest of your post as I don't play parley with ad-hominem attacks.

If a tiny minority of black people walk into a bar and kill people, do you ban all black people from bars?
If a tiny minority of factory owners pollute the water and kill people, do you ban all factories?
If a tiny minority of handgun owners misuse their guns and kill people, do you ban all handguns?
If a tiny minority of aeroplanes suffer malfunctions and kill people, do you ban all aeroplanes?

Erm, cars aren't designed purely to kill. Guns are. Smart, you're not.
Reply 594
Original post by Rant
Erm, cars aren't designed purely to kill. Guns are. Smart, you're not.

Another example of a bigot - guns have other uses that being purely designed to kill.

If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot because of authoritarians such as yourself.
Original post by Selkarn
I ignored the rest of your post as I don't play parley with ad-hominem attacks. I'm glad to see that Good Bloke has managed to move away from simple name-calling, now do the same.

Original post by Selkarn
Another example of a bigot - guns have other uses that being purely designed to kill.

Yeah, they can tranquilize, stun, wind, maim, dismember, disembowel, eviscerate or explode a target, too!
Reply 597
Original post by Selkarn

Seriously? Get another hobby. If you want to play with guns, go paintballing.
Original post by Selkarn

If a tiny amount of people on the internets display flawed logic, do you block all IP addresses?
Reply 599

Yeah, they can tranquilize, stun, wind, maim, dismember, disembowel, eviscerate or explode a target, too!

Original post by Rant
Seriously? Get another hobby. If you want to play with guns, go paintballing.

Heh, you see guys? When you actually challenge these bigots with a real argument, they simply crash and burn as is shown above, and their argument is reduced to worryingly posting pictures and videos. They're enemies of freedom, pro-authoritarian who wish to force their opinions down everyone's throats.

Original post by PendulumBoB
If a tiny amount of people on the internets display flawed logic, do you block all IP addresses?

Cheers, I will incorporate that. Any more ideas?

For the record, I see your cat and raise you:

(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending