The Student Room Group

The truth about Black girls and their hair!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well you could make it out to be not racist as it kinda wasn't shown if you were being.
Reply 21
Original post by Sebastian

Hey guys, I'm sorry if what I'm going to say sounds racist. Anyway, I sit next to this black girl in my French class, last week I asked her how she washed her real hair because she always has it braided or has fake hair which she says is glued on to her real hair. Her reply to my question was something like she never washed her hair incase her braids and weave lost their shine,got smelly and dry!!!:eek:

My conclusion from what she told me was that most of the black girls in my school with intense fake hairstyles never washed their hair so must have itchy scalps, full of dandruff and lice so nobody should go out with them.

When one of my friends asked to use the hairpin of the same black girl yesterday during Maths I whispered to her, half jokingly, that it probably had "some little lice" attached to it because she doesn't wash her hair. My friend ignored my comment and went aheard to receive one of her hairpin but unfortunately the black girl heard me and after school she ambushed me at the school gate, threating to tell our head of year that I had been racist next Monday. I've to be in school on Monday for Easter revision as I'm sitting my GCSEs this summer.

Anyway,:frown: I'm really worried wether what the black girl says will get me in trouble. Wasn't what I said somewhat true though? Was it racist? Should I have kept my gob quiet? Pls educate me.

YOU ARE SUCH A KNOB! AND NO IT ISN'T TRUE!

Bare ignorant too! Not racist, but ignorant. And completely stupid how could you say that? You have to apologise to her! And you should get in trouble, because you need to understand that your attitude and behaviour was completely out of order.

Our hair doesn't need washing as much because it is a completely different texture to european and asian hair. If we wash our hair too much, it will rid our hair of the vital nutrients so the hair just drys out and falls out.

AND believe it or not, lice ACTUALLY is prone to people with CLEAN hair, rather than dirty, since the lice can move around easily in clean hair.

But theat girl has a bit of a misconception because you can wash your hair with braids in, you just have to be gentle with it. And weave shouldn't be left in for too long naturally cos the scalp needs to be able to breathe and a lot of dirt and dust gets held in there.

i myself don't like weave at all, i just relax my hair, but most black girls get it to increase the length in the hair and to strengthen it.
Reply 22
Original post by shaycamp
ok time for a little education!
Weave is sewn on to a person's hair - black, or white. A person who wears weave, will wear it for a considerable amount of time without washing their hair, but that doesn't mean that they never wash their hair. There're also the types of weaves that one glues onto their hair. These can be washed the same as the real hair. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that if someone (a black girl, you said) wears a weave they will never wash their hair...
Anyway...
You also mentioned braids - this could mean extensions as well, but you didn't specify. Just to let you know that braids (extensions or real hair) can be taken out. After taking the braids out, the person will then wash their hair!

I don't think you are racist, i think you are incredibly ignorant (and stupid) to make a claim that black people don't wash their hair, and that they all probably have lice.
I also think it's astounding that you named this thread "the truth about black people and their hair" are you trying to piss people off?
*sigh*
well, that's all i'm going to say. I'm a little irritated at your lack of sense about this but, hey, perhaps that was your first interaction with a black person. Next time, try not to make assumptions based on someone's race like that - i know we all do it, but it would be better if you didn't whisper it maliciously to your friends. That way you wont get called out for being racist instead of ignorant.

amen. Ily
Reply 23
You could have always asked her to explain it and answer your question instead of assuming it's dirty and full of lice, I asked my best friend (who's black and regularly wears weaves) the same question a few years ago and she explained it to me, I never jumped to the conclusion you did. Theres no excuse for being ignorant.

You shouldn't have made the joke then, or go about whispering about it, just keep your mouth shut about the issue or apologise to the girl.
Reply 24
Original post by thecat23
amen. Ily

Thank you! Xxx :biggrin:
Reply 25
Why are you saying Black girls hair as if black girls only have one hair type! Stop being ignorant.
Original post by Sebastian

Anyway,:frown: I'm really worried wether what the black girl says will get me in trouble. Wasn't what I said somewhat true though? Was it racist? Should I have kept my gob quiet? Pls educate me.

You really do know f-all about black hair. I have braids in and I wash my hair a few times a week because I play sport. Black hair gets dry so I end up putting a load of products in there to replace the moisture loss.

Black people are not meant to wash their hair as often as white people as our hair does not get greasy. In fact it just gets drier and drier. Also you forget that every individual has different hair care habits. There's difference across white people and also across black people, so there you go tarring everyone under the same brush.

Your 'lice' comment is just bloody astronomically rude. I don't blame that girl for threatening you. I would have if I was in her shoes. It's like her calling you a pencil dick and telling noone to date you for it which is another example of a negative racial stereotype built on zero evidence.

Tut tut! You're going on as if you speak the truth about our hair. Who the hell do you think you are?! Incredibly ignorant and offensive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Racist? No. Stupid? You bet.
Reply 28
I now a lot of black girls don't wash their hair much because it's fragile. I have one who regularly talks to me about hers. Apparantly it breaks incredibly easily and grows less. She's very sad about it and regularly googles and asks for advice about the issue.

Calling her diseased is notably stupid though. If she had lice she'd have probably delt with them, regardless of the consequences. You shouldn't use a stereotype that a group of people are all diseased. You are retarded to think that is a good idea.
Original post by ShayCamp
Ok time for a little education!
Weave is sewn on to a person's hair - black, or white. A person who wears weave, will wear it for a considerable amount of time without washing their hair, but that doesn't mean that they NEVER wash their hair. There're also the types of weaves that one glues onto their hair. These can be washed the same as the real hair. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that if someone (a black girl, you said) wears a weave they will never wash their hair...
Anyway...
You also mentioned braids - this could mean extensions as well, but you didn't specify. Just to let you know that braids (extensions or real hair) can be taken out. After taking the braids out, the person will then WASH THEIR HAIR!

I don't think you are racist, I think you are incredibly ignorant (and stupid) to make a claim that black people don't wash their hair, and that they all probably have lice.
I also think it's astounding that you named this thread "The truth about black people and their hair" Are you TRYING to piss people off?
*sigh*
Well, that's all i'm going to say. I'm a little irritated at your lack of sense about this but, hey, perhaps that was your first interaction with a black person. Next time, try not to make assumptions based on someone's race like that - I know we all do it, but it would be better if you didn't whisper it maliciously to your friends. That way you wont get called out for being racist instead of ignorant.

i wear a weave, it's mainly for medical reasons so it's not obvious and i'm whitebacking up this point:smile:
Original post by BabyFace
Firstly, a person’s hair can still be washed while they have braids in, it’s just down to an individual if they want to or not. Secondly, you may think it’s “unclean” that black people don’t wash their hair every day/every other day (like some white people may do) however, this is because stereotypical “black hair” is much dryer than white people’s hair, and due to this washing our hair as regularly as other races may do, is actually bad for our hair.

Yeah, I totally agree. Whether I'm in braids, weave, or just natural hair, I've always normally washed my hair at least once a week. I could never leave it unwashed for weeks on end, that'd just be eww :yucky:
Reply 31
there are some things you say and some things you dont.
I'm black and I've never had lice. TBH I have never met a black person who has had lice. My half indian cousin has though because she has more indian hair.

Also black people's hair SHoULD NOT be washed everyday. It needs the oils. Otherwise it will break off. I knew one girl who thought that just because her white friends washed their hair every other day she should do the same. It was a terrible mistake.
Reply 33
Your not racist, your ignorant. Seriously, you don't say something bad about somene without expecting the consequences.
Solid work. Seven.
Reply 35
There are so many wrong things in the OP that I'm not even going to try and correct him :facepalm2:
Reply 36
I have weave at the moment and I wash my hair every week. That is because I dont buy cheap weaves that can lose shine after a couple of washes!!
Reply 37
NEVER joke on a black female and her hair.

I'm black I know this.
Reply 38
I have a friend who is black and I envy sometimes how often she changes her hairstyles. She sometimes has it braided but I've never seen her scalp full of dandruff as you say so you are just being vile.:angry:
Reply 39
LOL. Idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest