The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAR12
Eh, I got a different college :tongue: I am not complaining!

:biggrin: Beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Is that the phrase? :colondollar:
Reply 1141
Original post by 04ghicks
My interview was in the morning literally straight after breakfast :frown:

Reading an extract from a journal with and excessive amount of words and phrases I didn't understand wasn't fun at 9 in the morning! Heh, worked out though :P

My heater looked severely damaged and didn't seem to emit any heat XD

And...she doesn't touch things like heaters? XD
Lets hope she didn't get in (bit harsh but...a heater? :P)

She was lovely but a tad odd! We walked from the train station together and I went to cross a side road whilst 'the green man wasn't on'. She refused on the basis that 'You need to wait for the green man' :|

We could clearly see no traffic was coming! Bizarre!
(edited 13 years ago)
I've had an offer for Law at St. Catz in 2011, and I was just wondering, do I have to apply for accommodation any time soon?
I haven't heard anything regarding it, so is there anything in particular I need to do?

Thanks!
I'm for St. Catz 2011 also and I've been wondering the same thing!
Searching St. Catz and Oxfords websites hasn't produced anything helpful...
Has anyone had any correspondance from their college after they firmed it?
I got a letter about accommodation, but that was before I firmed...
Original post by jakehartley123
I've had an offer for Law at St. Catz in 2011, and I was just wondering, do I have to apply for accommodation any time soon?
I haven't heard anything regarding it, so is there anything in particular I need to do?

Thanks!

It's not usual to need to do this, and if you do, your College will let you know. Usually Colleges either allocate rooms to you automatically (and just tell you when you turn up where to go), or write to you later with details of which price bands you can ask for.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, the College have it in hand!

Congratulations on your offer - and St Catz is a great choice for a lawyer - you'll be able to sleep in and still make it to lectures on time :smile:
Original post by flywithemma

Nope, Keble hasn't sent me anything either since I firmed. I need to send these accommodation forms of soon! So hard to make up my mind though :frown: Arghh
Original post by Festina lente

Congratulations on your offer - and St Catz is a great choice for a lawyer - you'll be able to sleep in and still make it to lectures on time :smile:

There are lawyers that go to lectures? lol
Reply 1148

I was sent a reading list last week.
has anyone studying history had a reading list? I'm looking for something to read and it might be good to get going!

Or, does anyone have a book recommendation?
Original post by Lumi Nous
has anyone studying history had a reading list? I'm looking for something to read and it might be good to get going!

Or, does anyone have a book recommendation?

I'm reading Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer; it's all about how the USA has been going around the world changing regimes. It's pretty good. Alternately, either The Corner or Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets are excellent reads. And they're all true.
Original post by rohitronaldo
Nope, Keble hasn't sent me anything either since I firmed. I need to send these accommodation forms of soon! So hard to make up my mind though :frown: Arghh

Me too! I think I know what price band I want, I'm just not sure whether to go for a Shared En Suite or a Superior Room, the only difference I can see is that the latter has a fridge and sink, although I think the former might give me more of a chance of being in a nice old building :love:

Original post by micky022
I'm reading Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer; it's all about how the USA has been going around the world changing regimes. It's pretty good. Alternately, either The Corner or Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets are excellent reads. And they're all true.

Hehe, sorry to butt in, but my boyfriend LOVES those books. Although if I ended up reading them, I'm sure he'd expect me to have some sort of opinion on them so we could argue about it, and I'd fail at that...he's also been trying to get me to watch the Wire. Which isn't happening :tongue:
Me too! I think I know what price band I want, I'm just not sure whether to go for a Shared En Suite or a Superior Room, the only difference I can see is that the latter has a fridge and sink, although I think the former might give me more of a chance of being in a nice old building :love:

Hehe, sorry to butt in, but my boyfriend LOVES those books. Although if I ended up reading them, I'm sure he'd expect me to have some sort of opinion on them so we could argue about it, and I'd fail at that...he's also been trying to get me to watch the Wire. Which isn't happening :tongue:

Read them in secret :ninja:

Why isn't The Wire happening? You have yet to experience Omar! :tongue:
Did everyone else get that e-mail from Oxford's disability advisory service? Not that it was that interesting, but since it was my first email from the university, I'm wondering how many more will follow... :biggrin:
Looking forward to being spammed by college and uni in september?
Original post by Yaw-Bruni
Did everyone else get that e-mail from Oxford's disability advisory service? Not that it was that interesting, but since it was my first email from the university, I'm wondering how many more will follow... :biggrin:
Looking forward to being spammed by college and uni in september?

Yeah, I got that. I was in a physics lesson at the time, and my phone vibrated to signal the arrival of an email. I glanced at it, but didn't have time to read it, so all I noticed was that it was from Oxford. I spent the next 45 minutes wondering what it was... at was a bit disappointed when I found out :tongue:

Since firming, I've actually had as much communication from Imperial (despite declining their offer!) as I have had from Oxford
Read them in secret :ninja:

Why isn't The Wire happening? You have yet to experience Omar! :tongue:

Hehe, I might do that, and then casually drop quotes in to conversations with him and impress him :tongue:

and oh dear. :tongue: I think it's now got to a point where I'm refusing to watch The Wire out of principle! I did get tricked into watching the clip where they're in the prison talking about the Great Gatsby though, as it was what I was doing for my English Coursework and was assured it would be 'helpful'. Pssssh.
Hehe, I might do that, and then casually drop quotes in to conversations with him and impress him :tongue:

and oh dear. :tongue: I think it's now got to a point where I'm refusing to watch The Wire out of principle! I did get tricked into watching the clip where they're in the prison talking about the Great Gatsby though, as it was what I was doing for my English Coursework and was assured it would be 'helpful'. Pssssh.

Haha, do it! :smile:

I always sound a bit silly trying to quote it, given my Geordie accent :/ Coursework or not, The Wire is always helpful; it's all in the game :ninja:
Haha, do it! :smile:

I always sound a bit silly trying to quote it, given my Geordie accent :/ Coursework or not, The Wire is always helpful; it's all in the game :ninja:

Woo Geordie accents :smile: where about are you from? I live in Northumberland (Prudhoe?), but was born in Newcastle. I don't reeeally think I have an accent, although when I was down in Oxford for interviews, someone told me I sounded like 'a less ditsy version of Cheryl Cole', which was lovely of them :angry::tongue:
Woo Geordie accents :smile: where about are you from? I live in Northumberland (Prudhoe?), but was born in Newcastle. I don't reeeally think I have an accent, although when I was down in Oxford for interviews, someone told me I sounded like 'a less ditsy version of Cheryl Cole', which was lovely of them :angry::tongue:

I'm from Jarrow, famous for walking all the way to London and achieving absolutely naff-all :tongue: I greeted my interviewer with, "Areet?" and then amused everyone by saying 'cookbook' instead of 'cuckbuck'...

Haha, what a charming thing to have said to you :smile: I'm comparatively well-spoken up here, but then I go south and everyone starts looking at me funny and asking me to repeat sentences!
I'm from Jarrow, famous for walking all the way to London and achieving absolutely naff-all :tongue: I greeted my interviewer with, "Areet?" and then amused everyone by saying 'cookbook' instead of 'cuckbuck'...

Haha, what a charming thing to have said to you :smile: I'm comparatively well-spoken up here, but then I go south and everyone starts looking at me funny and asking me to repeat sentences!

More geordies! We're taking over oxford :biggrin: Well...all three of us...and one is from Prudhoe...does that count? XD

Im from wallsend, I got mistook for a scottish person :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending