The Student Room Group

Chapter 8 of C2. Ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Now you're just being obtuse and offensive. The authors of textbooks have no authority over what is examined in the module. You do indeed need an understanding of what you're doing - and A-Levels are about the subject. Clearly you don't belong in a Mathematics class - I was nice yesterday when you needed help on C1 differentiation but to be honest it just shows how much work you will have to put in. So don't say that you don't need an understanding, because your misguided 'method' clearly isn't working.

Says the one who started a post to this thread with you're not very intelligent, hmmm.

I never said you don't need an understanding just not a deep one. Maths is mostly abstract.
And while I am being a grumpy pedant, we don't have SATs either*.

* Nothing to do with this thread but I take every opportunity to spread the word.
Reply 22
Original post by dknt
No, I'm not. Mr M. is and was the one who pointed it out. And of course I'm somebody to tell you you're doing the wrong subject. Look I'll do it again. You're doing the wrong subject. See, simple.

LOL
If you don't want to develop a deeper understanding of the chapter content then just use a calculator, I mean, you're just in it for the grade right? It's really not a big deal.
Original post by snow leopard
Says the one who started a post to this thread with you're not very intelligent, hmmm.

I never said you don't need an understanding just not a deep one. Maths is mostly abstract.

I'm not being deliberately offensive, I'm making an accurate observation on your behaviour. ^^^ And I take it you've studied no applied maths? ^^^
Original post by Mr M
Thanks for the link steve. Here's one for you:

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Oh, so you're a teacher? That means absolutely zilch, sorry, anyone in this country could become a teacher, and they're all dumber than the previous without any orientation for student success. Everyone is constantly let down by them. They're unorganised/unmotivated and only resort to that career because they failed their degree. So you're no one tell me if I'm doing the wrong subject, I like maths, and I'd understand it more deeply if there was no pressure from dumb exams.

Now you're just being rediculous. Just beacus ethat is your experience does not mean that all teachers are like this. Many teachers have done degrees at Cambridge and such, so clearly they do the job because they enjoy it and are good at it, not because they failed their degree.
Using just a non-graphic calculator, can you solve cos(x)=34cos(x) = \frac{3}{4} in the interval 2πθ4π2\pi \leq \theta \leq 4\pi?
You might as well do as they say and try without a calculator for some, so you can understand it better. It's no biggie really, if it will help you with A2. :h:
Reply 29
Original post by Jing_jing
If you don't want to develop a deeper understanding of the chapter content then just use a calculator, I mean, you're just in it for the grade right? It's really not a big deal.

The only one who speaks sense. Of course I'm in it for the grade, so are the majority, does anyone actually care about binomial expansion and tan graphs? I was perfectly happy with SOHCAHTOA. I don't need this bs about their origins. Some of the content is interesting and doable though, like geometric sequences and logarithms, now those are relevant and helpful. I know it's not a big deal, but I just wanted to amplify my thoughts.
Reply 30
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I'm not being deliberately offensive, I'm making an accurate observation on your behaviour. ^^^ And I take it you've studied no applied maths? ^^^

No, I would have definitely done so if there was the option though at my school. Even more failure in the system; why can't they incorporate some AS concepts at GCSE to smoothen the transition? The jump is just ridic and out of nowhere. GCSE maths is baby work, it should be standard to be done in Year 8 imo.

Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Now you're just being rediculous. Just beacus ethat is your experience does not mean that all teachers are like this. Many teachers have done degrees at Cambridge and such, so clearly they do the job because they enjoy it and are good at it, not because they failed their degree.

You think Cambridge graduates would work in a state school? If only they would
Original post by I'm clever
Well you don't sound intelligent so you're probably going to fail C2 or get a B at the very best. You see, to get an A you need to have a deep understanding in some topics. The questions are designed to test this understanding.

I'm in Y10 but I liek to study A level maths because it helps me understand GCSE better.

You really don't. Anyone who is tenacious enough to do past papers until they know how to answer all the types of questions (so, most prepared students at A level) will be able to get an A. Maths is probably the easiest subject to get an A in even if you aren't particularly mathematically inclined.
The only one who speaks sense. Of course I'm in it for the grade, so are the majority, does anyone actually care about binomial expansion and tan graphs? I was perfectly happy with SOHCAHTOA. I don't need this bs about their origins. Some of the content is interesting and doable though, like geometric sequences and logarithms, now those are relevant and helpful. I know it's not a big deal, but I just wanted to amplify my thoughts.

Well I'm hopefully off to read a degree with Maths in it so I do care about them, they link in with a lot of areas of maths that you don't cover in Maths AS and I find them interesting in their own right, but that's my personal opinion. :biggrin:

If you don't care about them then just learn what you need to for the exam. Obviously doing it without a calculator will help you understand why the results given in the chapter are true, but if you don't care just learn the rule and have a look at proofs given in the chapters that do interest you.

I know of at least 2 Cambridge graduates who are teaching Maths at state schools at the moment.
Reply 33
Original post by hothedgehog
You really don't. Anyone who is tenacious enough to do past papers until they know how to answer all the types of questions (so, most prepared students at A level) will be able to get an A. Maths is probably the easiest subject to get an A in even if you aren't particularly mathematically inclined.

Absolutely right. As I said, you can master the modules and be brilliant at them, but without familiarity with the exams, you will not achieve the best grade.
Reply 34
Original post by Jing_jing

I know of at least 2 Cambridge graduates who are teaching Maths at state schools at the moment.

Lucky for them. The majority of us have failures out of Luton and whatnot.
Reply 35

I can appreciate that for someone who doesn't seem interested in maths, like yourself, the binomial expansion and trig graphs might seem irrelevant. It takes real arrogance to say that no one cares about that kind of maths, though. Why did you take maths if you hate it so much?

What are you thinking of doing at uni? Because if it's any kind of science, especially physics, you're going to be eating your words with a large slice of humble pie.
Lucky for them. The majority of us have failures out of Luton and whatnot.

Well as you said, familiarity with the exams will get you a good grade if you work enough exam papers. Just go through the chapters by yourself then, I think that maths is one of the better subjects to self teach.
No, I would have definitely done so if there was the option though at my school. Even more failure in the system; why can't they incorporate some AS concepts at GCSE to smoothen the transition? The jump is just ridic and out of nowhere. GCSE maths is baby work, it should be standard to be done in Year 8 imo.

I was being sarcastic - you tried to recommend D1 and D2 to me yesterday, and I seem to remember you talking about S1 also. These are applied maths modules, not abstract (pure) modules. Therefore you should know that lots of maths is not abstract.

:shock: Ehhhh???

I care.
Original post by Maths_Lover
:shock: Ehhhh???

I care.

As do I. The original poster is being rather rude, and dismissing the importance of some key mathematical ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest