The Student Room Group

I've applied to a grammar where the minimum entry requirements 6A/A*

It is not the most popular and they say that around half of there sixth form come in at 16+

I am predicted 4A*, 4A and 1B
I was shortlisted for an interview, wrote a really good personal statement and live 5 mins away
Do i have a good chance?

PS: i didn't fill out my own predicted grades sheet, my teachers did, whereas my friends from other schools filled out there own... so i find it really unfair, but whatever

The minimum requirements are 6A'S and im predicted A*s in the subjects i want to take for A level, will the notice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends really
Most schools now offer interview so if you talk to them and tell them and ask them then they can give you the information

No offense but the only people who can help you is the school
Nobody knows anything about the school :/
As above.
Reply 3
everyone has equal chances, you just have to be interesting to stand out of your "competitors"
Reply 4
out of interest what area is the grammar school you applied for in?
Reply 5
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Articaaa
I got a conditional offer from one of the best selective schools - not independent - which is really good (y)

However, the entry is different which is a bit like ucas points. A*=4;A=3;B=2;C=1 and you need to get over 21 points out of your top 8 GCSE grades. So far, I already have 1 A* and 3 As which is already 13 points and I am predicted more A*s :biggrin:

Oh really, very helpful indeed, so does everyone who get X a'S and X a*s get offered a conditional however at the one im applying to, they say that a fair few of the candidates dont ac get the grades and many choose colleges and different schools
So would you say i am borderline if i applied to your one or would i not get a place?

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by ameelia22
out of interest what area is the grammar school you applied for in?

Its in Barnet, are you in a similar situation?
Reply 8
Original post by the don
Oh really, very helpful indeed, so does everyone who get X a'S and X a*s get offered a conditional however at the one im applying to, they say that a fair few of the candidates dont ac get the grades and many choose colleges and different schools
So would you say i am borderline if i applied to your one or would i not get a place?

Thanks

hey don!

No not everyone gets a conditional offer, even if you do get over the 21 points!

One of my friend who applied was predicted no a*s because of the school she goes to, did not even get an interview because her schools were over 21 but too low in comparison to others

Another person didn’t get an interview because there was just too many people applying apparently 270 people applied for 60 external places.

And my friend said three of her friends got an interview but just didn’t get a place.

I would personally say it is just in comparison to the other people who applied to that school
Reply 9
hey don!

No not everyone gets a conditional offer, even if you do get over the 21 points!

One of my friend who applied was predicted no a*s because of the school she goes to, did not even get an interview because her schools were over 21 but too low in comparison to others

Another person didn’t get an interview because there was just too many people applying apparently 270 people applied for 60 external places.

And my friend said three of her friends got an interview but just didn’t get a place.

I would personally say it is just in comparison to the other people who applied to that school

Yeah same with mine
thats the dilemma im having, because i didn't attend the open evening or didnt ask the right questions in the interview (because i was under-prepared asi had a module the day before and the day after). Yes unlucky, i know. How di you think your interview went?, ive applied for two grammars, am at a private one at the moment, but the fees are too much, so i have to go to a grammar as ive got siblings in private schools, and ive been at my school since i was 7 lol, so i need a change in atmosphere.
What other A*s are you predicted?
In the subject you want to study for A level , i hear that helps?
Reply 10
Also im not even gonna start about how i have been hugely under predicted
Reply 11
Original post by the don
Yeah same with mine
thats the dilemma im having, because i didn't attend the open evening or didnt ask the right questions in the interview (because i was under-prepared asi had a module the day before and the day after). Yes unlucky, i know. How di you think your interview went?, ive applied for two grammars, am at a private one at the moment, but the fees are too much, so i have to go to a grammar as ive got siblings in private schools, and ive been at my school since i was 7 lol, so i need a change in atmosphere.
What other A*s are you predicted?
In the subject you want to study for A level , i hear that helps?

It wasnt a proper interview as such, they just read through your personal statement and then ask about your hobbies really. it definitely not like a university interview, my friend told me about his oxford interview and it sounded very scary! But i think that the point of the interviews is to get to know what you are like and whether you would suit the environment they provide. It also shows your ability to think on the spot. I didnt even ask any questions at my interview!

I am predicted an A* in chemisty, geography, physics, business, product design, ICT D201, ICT D203 and russian. I have already got two GCSE grades: an A* in my maths and an A in my music (i took the music when i was in year 9 B))

I dont really think that getting an A* in the subjects you want to study makes much different becuase say you are in a class with someone who gets an A* but you get a B - then surely you know the same amount of stuff as the A* person?
Reply 12
Yh, im only predicted it in the sciences and Maths, but thats what i want to study for A level.
Tbh i worry about things too much, im just gonna chill until i find out and then ill see what i can do.
How are you doing to gcses for ict, or it like a GNVQ which "counts" as two gcses?
Yeah ive taken 3/4 chem modules and got so far 198 out of 200, which im chuffed about, retaking my history to try and get an A* and took french to get an A (lowest in my set) lol

Not really because most of the A* questions have a direct link to as level stuff
Reply 13
Original post by the don
Yh, im only predicted it in the sciences and Maths, but thats what i want to study for A level.
Tbh i worry about things too much, im just gonna chill until i find out and then ill see what i can do.
How are you doing to gcses for ict, or it like a GNVQ which "counts" as two gcses?
Yeah ive taken 3/4 chem modules and got so far 198 out of 200, which im chuffed about, retaking my history to try and get an A* and took french to get an A (lowest in my set) lol

Not really because most of the A* questions have a direct link to as level stuff

I wouldnt worry at the moment - i agree.

The icts i am taking involve you working with different aspects, the D201 is like general ICT whereas D203 is about graphics and you using different graphics programs.

That is really good. my current chemistry is on an A becuase when i took C1b in year 10 i got a B which is pulling my whole grade down so i am retaking it. same with P1b (:

I think that even if you get a B but you have A* knowledge you will be fine..
Reply 14
Original post by the don

Which one is it? Can't be QE boys, so who?
I dont really think that getting an A* in the subjects you want to study makes much different becuase say you are in a class with someone who gets an A* but you get a B - then surely you know the same amount of stuff as the A* person?

If you get a B in Maths, you clearly know a lot less Maths than someone who gets an A*. You would then probably struggle with C1, the first module, never mind the other modules.
Reply 16
Original post by tiny hobbit
If you get a B in Maths, you clearly know a lot less Maths than someone who gets an A*. You would then probably struggle with C1, the first module, never mind the other modules.

i gguess, it is more about the understanding :/
Original post by the don

Actually no, but I attend a grammar school which has similar requirements in the West Midlands...:colondollar: Fortunately for me, all I need are 4A's in A-Level subjects, and B's in the English Language and Maths.
Reply 18
I wouldnt worry at the moment - i agree.

The icts i am taking involve you working with different aspects, the D201 is like general ICT whereas D203 is about graphics and you using different graphics programs.

That is really good. my current chemistry is on an A becuase when i took C1b in year 10 i got a B which is pulling my whole grade down so i am retaking it. same with P1b (:

I think that even if you get a B but you have A* knowledge you will be fine..

Wait, is that what you predict for yourself or what your teachers are predicting you?
As an example, im retaking french (that i got an A on last year) but my teacher refuses to predict me an A* unless she is sure i will get one... which she isnt

Your school seems really generous with predictions, your so lucky
Reply 19
Original post by ameelia22
Actually no, but I attend a grammar school which has similar requirements in the West Midlands...:colondollar: Fortunately for me, all I need are 4A's in A-Level subjects, and B's in the English Language and Maths.

Nice, well my current school requires 6As and there are only 8 or 9 external places so everyone new who comes in for sixth form is super geeky whereas im just average in my year....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending