The Student Room Group

Referencing

Hey there everyone!

This is gonna sound very stupid but, Im currently writing down an essay and in my previous ones i have a feeling ive been marked down because of incorrect referencing. Can anyone give me an example of a proper reference? I mean you put footnote in obviously, and how do you put the information at the buttom on the page? in what order i mean. My university uses Harvard referencing system.

Thank you for help in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by She_Bittersweet
Hey there everyone!

This is gonna sound very stupid but, Im currently writing down an essay and in my previous ones i have a feeling ive been marked down because of incorrect referencing. Can anyone give me an example of a proper reference? I mean you put footnote in obviously, and how do you put the information at the buttom on the page? in what order i mean. My university uses Harvard referencing system.

Thank you for help in advance!

You have a feeling you have been marked down for incorrect referencing? Have you not sought clarification? Do you not get feedback? Your department really shoud give you clear advice as soon as you start the course. Ideally in the form of a style sheet - giving examples using different sources.

Harvard is in text citations so no footnotes are used. You then provide a reference list at the end of the essay with all sources you've referenced listed.

See examples on this website.

http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/studyskills/harvard_referencing.htm
Are you sure? Often the same departments like different things within the same university; I would seek clarification from your tutor personally.
Original post by River85
You have a feeling you have been marked down for incorrect referencing? Have you not sought clarification? Do you not get feedback? Your department really shoud give you clear advice as soon as you start the course. Ideally in the form of a style sheet - giving examples using different sources.

Harvard is in text citations so no footnotes are used. You then provide a reference list at the end of the essay with all sources you've referenced listed.

See examples on this website.

http://education.exeter.ac.uk/dll/studyskills/harvard_referencing.htm

The problem is they have never given us any direction whatsoever, even on the website theres nothing to suggest advice. We dont do much essay writing as well, this is only my second essay, so i really want to make sure im doing it right. How do you do it with footnotes then? Sorry im asking really stupid questions probably but i genuinely have no clue.
Reply 4
Im writing an essay right now actually and in my footnote bit at the bottom ive got:

A. Black, The Japanese House: architecture and interiors (Scriptum Editions, 2000) p.6

soo author, title, publisher, year and page

and when you refer to the book again its just author, title and page

ive done it like this all the time and never been marked down cos of it :smile: and im pretty sure its harvard referencing too! Try and get a copy of 'Cite them right' tis an excellent referencing book, says how to reference pretty much everything and it was like £10 i think so not bad monies either :smile:
Original post by ahoward
Im writing an essay right now actually and in my footnote bit at the bottom ive got:

A. Black, The Japanese House: architecture and interiors (Scriptum Editions, 2000) p.6

soo author, title, publisher, year and page

and when you refer to the book again its just author, title and page

ive done it like this all the time and never been marked down cos of it :smile: and im pretty sure its harvard referencing too! Try and get a copy of 'Cite them right' tis an excellent referencing book, says how to reference pretty much everything and it was like £10 i think so not bad monies either :smile:

Oh thank you very much!
Reply 6
If you're doing Harvard referencing, don't use footnotes. In text referencing is where you put things like "In his paper on x topic, Smith (year of publication: page number) states that...." or where you paraphrase what's been said by someone else but reference at the end of the paragraph. I've always found the Anglia site helpful cos our department didn't explain referencing properly either and I've had to teach it to myself.
Reply 7
Original post by paddy__power
Are you sure? Often the same departments like different things within the same university; I would seek clarification from your tutor personally.

Yeah, at my uni the English Literature students have to use MLA referencing but the English Language students need to use Harvard referencing :s-smilie: It gets really confusing when the modules cross over a bit and you have to switch between the two :tongue:
Original post by Baula
Yeah, at my uni the English Literature students have to use MLA referencing but the English Language students need to use Harvard referencing :s-smilie: It gets really confusing when the modules cross over a bit and you have to switch between the two :tongue:

Indeed. I just tend to reference my own way and if they don't like it then meh. :h:
Reply 9
You wouldn't use footnotes in Harvard Referencing for a start.

An in-text example would be:
As mentioned by Smith (2009), the varied approaches...

Or:
...are the varied approaches (Smith, 2009)

And if you're directly quoting, put in the page number, like so:
'...are the varied approaches' (Smith, 2009:212)

In your bibliography, it should appear as follows:
Smith, A. (2009) Research Methods. London: Routledge

So basically:
Author's surname, author's initial (date) Title. Place of publication: Publisher

Obviously the above only refers to books. Have a look on this site for how to reference journals etc.

All items in the bibliography must appear in alphabetical order by surname as well, btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending