The Student Room Group

How much does it cost to run a school ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can we start putting the £ sign before the number? Like how it's meant to be written? Thanks.
Reply 21
Original post by Mr M
Particle accelerators cost more than crayons.

Particle accelerators are NOT paid for by university funds - I know, I live in Geneva...
Reply 22
Original post by nnnomi
Can we start putting the £ sign before the number? Like how it's meant to be written? Thanks.

Sorry, English is not my native language...
Original post by llys
Particle accelerators are NOT paid for by university funds - I know, I live in Geneva...

Talk about missing the point.
Reply 24
Original post by Mr M
Talk about missing the point.

I'm sorry if I missed the point - what was it?

All the expensive equipment in my lab and other labs on my floor - microscopes, centrifuges, computers, reagents etc. are paid for by research grants brought in by the group leaders, NOT by the university...
Original post by llys
I'm sorry if I missed the point - what was it?

All the expensive equipment in my lab and other labs on my floor - microscopes, centrifuges, computers, reagents etc. are paid for by research grants brought in by the group leaders, NOT by the university...

Sorry - I didn't realise you were the bursar of your university. I just thought you were someone who didn't understand why it costs more to run an university than a single form entry primary school. Never mind.

Two more clues for you:

Staff-student ratio

Teaching load
Reply 26
Original post by Mr M
Sorry - I didn't realise you were the bursar of your university. I just thought you were someone who didn't understand why it costs more to run an university than a single form entry primary school. Never mind.

Of course I am not the bursar of my university. I do know something about the finances of my lab and department because my boss happens to be its director at the moment (rotating position). I don't know anything about administrative costs etc. which I imagine are much bigger than for a school. Edit: I obviously also don't know anything about school finances, hence this thread. I'm sure you do. I'd be very curious to know how much money an average-sized school spends on staff, stationary, equipment, maintenance, heating & electricity? Perhaps in % of budget?

Two more clues for you:

Staff-student ratio

Teaching load

Those are valid points by themselves, but I really don't see what staff-student ratio and teaching load have to do with the cost of particle accelerators compared to crayons? What WAS the point you were trying to make there? If it was a point about expensive equipment then I think I did understand it and I do think you are mistaken - in fact I imagine that university bursars do not understand the need for expensive equipment so if it was up to them (which it isn't over here) they would not buy any...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by llys
What WAS the point you were trying to make there?

That obtuse hat doesn't suit.

If you don't believe there is any capital expenditure in universities that is not fully covered by grants (!) just consider the relative costs of running a university library and a school library.

Here's another difference for your collection. Collectively, the UK universities spend over £350 million on outreach work and on widening access for poorer students. There are no comparable programmes in school pyramids.
Reply 28
That obtuse hat doesn't suit.

Thank you. :wink:

I edited my post; I would be very interested if you could give me a breakdown of school finances if you have the time.
My mother actually has run the budgets of a primary school (now) and used to run one of a secondary school.
1.3 million for a primary school this year (an average size one)
and about 8 million a year for an average secondary school with a smallish 6th form.

It depends quite a lot on how many people you have in your sixth form - my school has a massive 6th form and probably gets far more than 8 million a year.
Not sure about University budgets though - they probably get far more because of more students, bigger maintanance costs of the campuses, more staff etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by llys
I would be very interested if you could give me a breakdown of school finances if you have the time.

Ooh. I have hours of fun for you here. Use the guest login.

https://sfb.teachernet.gov.uk/login.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Mr M
Ooh. I have hours of fun for you here. Use the guest login.

https://sfb.teachernet.gov.uk/login.aspx

Why thank you! that is EXACTLY what is was looking for!

& Thanks to everyone else for your replies.
Reply 32
Original post by teshnit
I go to a private grammer, pupils * fees, leads me to believe theres a turnover of £11.5m just for the senior + junior school, 800 senior, 400 junior.

10 grand a student? Ouch.

_Kar.
Reply 33
Original post by Kareir
10 grand a student? Ouch.

_Kar.

Thankfully I'm on a scholarship, but 10k for a private school is probably on the lower end, especially considering the facilities on offer, we moved to a new £45m campus few years ago :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending