The Student Room Group

Can i still talk to unis if i havent been released from my insurance yet?

Hi, just wondering, if say on results day i miss out on firms offer by say a grade. my insurance would then still accept me, but i would still want to ring up my firm chioce an try to get in. now would it be possible to call them up (after gettin my grades) before calling up my insurance to ask them to release me so i can go in clearing, or do i have to get my insurance to release me first an then ask i firm if they will consider taking me.

it justs because if my firm say still didnt let me in, i would then have recall my insurance and then ask them if they will let me in, after i had just asked them release me (dont think that would go down well). Can anyone help, possible previous experience on this matter maybe? Thanks, and sorry if this is long
Reply 1
Original post by aams
Hi, just wondering, if say on results day i miss out on firms offer by say a grade. my insurance would then still accept me, but i would still want to ring up my firm chioce an try to get in. now would it be possible to call them up (after gettin my grades) before calling up my insurance to ask them to release me so i can go in clearing, or do i have to get my insurance to release me first an then ask i firm if they will consider taking me.

it justs because if my firm say still didnt let me in, i would then have recall my insurance and then ask them if they will let me in, after i had just asked them release me (dont think that would go down well). Can anyone help, possible previous experience on this matter maybe? Thanks, and sorry if this is long

Please don't bump your threads, especially not four times in half an hour (lateish at night; you can't expect instant replies and your thread would still have been high up on the first page of GUD anyway). It does constitute spam.

Your post isn't long, so much, as poorly phrased with typos. Perhaps my mind has turned to mush from reading so many journal articles

This is the hypothetical situation

1. You miss the offer your firm choice has given you but meet your insurance offer.
2. You want to know whether your firm will still accept you
3. You want to know whether you can phone your firm before speaking to your insurance?

If this is the case then yes, as far as I'm aware you can still phone your firm and try and persuade them to accept you before speaking to your university. But you're unlikely to change their mind unless you have mitigating circumstances, especially if it's a particularly oversubscribed course. However, as on results day time is of the essence, I suggest you be very quick.

Perhaps I've misread, or given false information, my brain has given up lately. But moving to UCAS and Apps, the appropriate forum, for the experts.
Reply 2
If your firm chose to accept you then you wouldn't use Clearing so there is no need to phone your insurance. You would speak to your firm only. But they will get your results before you do and will have spent 4 days deciding whether to accept you with lower grades so it's unlikely you'll change their mind
If your UCAS track is still showing as conditional/pending on results day and you know you've missed your firm offer then you need to call your firm choice university. They will be able to tell you whether they've decided to accept you despite the fact you've missed the grades. If they say they've rejected you or your track is showing as unsuccessful, you then need to contact your insurance university if you've met the grade conditions and/or it is showing on track as unconditional if you didn't want to go there. When speaking to your insurance choice (who are now your firm) you need to ask them to release you and then you will be in clearing. It might take a few days for the university to release you and put you in clearing, but you are allowed to talk to other universities who are in clearing in the mean time. However, you can not accept an offer from a university in clearing until you've been officially released from your insurance (now firm) choice.

If you're 100% certain you do not want to go to your insurance choice at all, then it is better to get released from there before results day. On results day, the phone lines will be jammed and it can take several days to process before you're fully in clearing. If you do it before results day (there is a cut off date of about a week before) you'll enter straight into clearing if you fail to get into your firm choice.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
If your UCAS track is still showing as conditional/pending on results day and you know you've missed your firm offer then you need to call your firm choice university. They will be able to tell you whether they've decided to accept you despite the fact you've missed the grades. If they say they've rejected you or your track is showing as unsuccessful, you then need to contact your insurance university if you've met the grade conditions and/or it is showing on track as unconditional if you didn't want to go there. When speaking to your insurance choice (who are now your firm) you need to ask them to release you and then you will be in clearing. It might take a few days for the university to release you and put you in clearing, but you are allowed to talk to other universities who are in clearing in the mean time. However, you can not accept an offer from a university in clearing until you've been officially released from your insurance (now firm) choice.
If you're 100% certain you do not want to go to your insurance choice at all, then it is better to get released from there before results day. On results day, the phone lines will be jammed and it can take several days to process before you're fully in clearing. If you do it before results day (there is a cut off date of about a week before) you'll enter straight into clearing if you fail to get into your firm choice.

1. Can I be verbally accepted by the uni i firmed (over the phone) and then get released from my insurance, or would i have to be released before the uni considers taking me in. Then once i have been released, would i then add the uni (my first choice who have told me that they will accept me) as my clearing choice (once i have been released ofcourse).

2. I havent actually firmed or insured my choices yet, thats my dilemma. I hold 2 offers (for basically the same course) from the uni i really want to go to (manchester). Now if i am unable to go to manchester my next chioce would be Liverpool (where currently i live). however, I am wondering whether to put liverpool down as my insurance, because if i miss out on manchester i would call them up to ask them to reconsider taking me on (or for a similar course). Now say i miss out on manchester by a grade, and meet my insurances offer (if it where liverpool). could i call up manchester first (to ask them to reconsider me) before being released from liverpool (thus saving time; thereby giving me more of a chance), or would i have to be released from liverpool before manchester will even consider lettling me in, or would manchester tell me to get released first before they talk to me. Thanks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by aams
1. Can I be verbally accepted by the uni i firmed (over the phone) and then get released from my insurance, or would i have to be released before the uni considers taking me in. Then once i have been released, would i then add the uni (my first choice who have told me that they will accept me) as my clearing choice (once i have been released ofcourse).

You can speak to the clearing universities over the phone to negotiate a place, yes. Generally, you'll speak to them and if they say yes, they'll then give you a time limit such as "this offer will stand for 2 days" then if you haven't accepted the offer within that period as you haven't been released by your insurance choice you run the risk of them giving it to someone else.

Now say i miss out on manchester by a grade, and meet my insurances offer (if it where liverpool). could i call up manchester first (to ask them to reconsider me) before being released from liverpool (thus saving time; thereby giving me more of a chance), or would i have to be released from liverpool before manchester will even consider lettling me in, or would manchester tell me to get released first before they talk to me. Thanks :smile:

Yes, you can do this.
Universities find out your results 4 days in advance of results day. They make all of their decisions on candidates who didn't make their grades during this time and then enter everything on track. This means on results day, the universities already know if they're taking you or not - all of the stories about people phoning and begging their way in are pretty much fictional because even if you have to call and find out the outcome, the decision will have already been made. However, if your course at Manchester is still showing as pending, you can call them and ask if they'll take you on the other course if it has places in clearing. Alternatively, if the course is really similar, they might have given you an alternative offer for the other course if it has lower entry requirements and more spaces. This will show on track on results day. If you're showing as unsuccessful for your firm on track on results day, it means Manchester have decided they do not have space for you. If the other course is in clearing, you can contact them about that but they would probably make you apply via clearing in the normal manner as it is very difficult to change a decision once it has appeared on track.
Reply 6
Original post by oxymoronic
You can speak to the clearing universities over the phone to negotiate a place, yes. Generally, you'll speak to them and if they say yes, they'll then give you a time limit such as "this offer will stand for 2 days" then if you haven't accepted the offer within that period as you haven't been released by your insurance choice you run the risk of them giving it to someone else.

so to 'accept' this offer do i just have to add them as my clearing choice (after i have released)?

Original post by aams
so to 'accept' this offer do i just have to add them as my clearing choice (after i have released)?

Yes.

When you enter clearing, you get given a clearing number. You give this to universities and it means they can access your full UCAS application instantly.

When you've decided which offer to take up, you go onto UCAS and it will say "add a clearing choice" so then you enter all of the information about the new choice. You can only do this when you've had an offer from a university, not before. The university will then confirm your "application" to UCAS to say that, yes, they gave you an offer then the application process is over and you'll be sent confirmation from UCAS in the post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending