The Student Room Group

c2 chapter 10(trig identities) are they gonna ask you these questions in exam?

cos like in the exam you can use a calculator and theres no point getting these questions cos you can just like plug them in the calculator instead of doing it by hand so how do they make you do them without a calculator
thanx for the help people
Reply 1
Example?
Reply 2
Yup! Or at least to do for Edexcel. But they may ask you to prove a trig identity, and plugging it into your calculator won't help with that. And they often expect you to show the knowledge of using them in answers, even if you get the same result. But usually they don't give you questions that can just be calculated.

It's safest to learn them, that way you can gain all the method marks.

(Again, I've done edexcel, so I don't know if this effects you or not.)
Reply 3
u've given no example of the kind of questions... chapter 10 could very well come up however it is more likely to come up in conjunction with another topic. give an example and ill explain more. btw for c2 just do Past Papers n u'll b fine!! got an A in ma c2 :biggrin:
Original post by ketchup
cos like in the exam you can use a calculator and theres no point getting these questions cos you can just like plug them in the calculator instead of doing it by hand so how do they make you do them without a calculator
thanx for the help people

learn them, calculators don't help jack **** when you need to differentiate them or rearrange them. My A-Level Maths was in OCR.
Reply 5
Original post by Helsy
Yup! Or at least to do for Edexcel. But they may ask you to prove a trig identity, and plugging it into your calculator won't help with that. And they often expect you to show the knowledge of using them in answers, even if you get the same result. But usually they don't give you questions that can just be calculated.

It's safest to learn them, that way you can gain all the method marks.

(Again, I've done edexcel, so I don't know if this effects you or not.)

yh same im doing edexcel too i guess your right its actually all about proving and that's what they teach you too
Reply 6
You mean the identities Sin^2 + Cos^2 =1 and Tanx=Sinx/Cosx?

Yes you will need to learn them. Oh and trust me if you do maths for A2 they will be used A LOT.
Reply 7
Original post by ketchup
yh same im doing edexcel too i guess your right its actually all about proving and that's what they teach you too

Yeah, so do revise them and practice them. Just be glad you haven't reached C3 yet... the trig there is even worse. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Helsy
Yeah, so do revise them and practice them. Just be glad you haven't reached C3 yet... the trig there is even worse. :tongue:

lol ye all my a2 friends complain and cry of c3 they also tell me to revise the c2 book in summer holidays before i do c3 cos you need to know a lot of stuff from there and not forget anything lol thanx for the help I guess I need to focus on c2 and s1 for now though there quite a pain

Quick Reply

Latest