The Student Room Group

What London Club should I start supporting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DONT BE A GLORY HUNTER,,,

Support Arsenal- the only London club :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by iainthegreat
Yeah the statue is dire, but for what Al Fayed has done for the club I'd let him stick a statue of Lampard in the ground!

True say

Of course free will can dictate that you may support who you want so feel free to avoid this advice:

I'd say none of the ones you listed. Football is often about alliances and supporting the same teams as your family or based on locality. I was born in Welwyn Garden City and brought up in St Albans, making Watford my nearest league team by being about two miles closer than the second, the one I actually do support: dad and uncle on mum's side, both influential during my youth, supported (and still support!) Tottenham so I went along.

Friends are also influential, if any of your close friends also support United then why don't you keep with them? Admittedly my closest friend at home is a Hammer; there's friendly banter between us and we go to each other's games when we can, but then again we live in London and can just hop on the tube. I also admit to not hating WHU as much as I should despite our shoddy record against them of late (they are our feeder club after all, jk). I wouldn't fancy having to be at Euston at 10am most Saturdays.. that is if you wanted to stay a United fan.

I would just get up to Selhurst Park. Atmosphere-wise if you sit in the right bit (and certainly if you travel away) it will be great. By default it won't if you support Arsenal; Highbury wasn't nicknamed the Library because it looked like four stacks of books placed horizontally. Personally I haven't much time for the national team at the moment so won't be making comparisons there. It will be easier to get into games, easier to go away, and if you have success, it'll arguably feel better than supporting a PL team.

Also: you could wait until you go to uni. If I were at say Edinburgh I'd probably be at Hearts most weeks, which wouldn't necessarily impede my Spursing.

One more thing. If you neutrally watch MOTD lots a team will enter your heart naturally. Met an Australian Evertonian in France who used this method when in England.

But as I said feel free to ignore that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well Arsenal for their watchable football - although they rarely win any trophies or anything. Chelsea are obviously the biggest and best team who have the chance of winning everything. So imo it's out of them two.
Reply 24
Obvs the Hammers, they have good supporters and are the best team in England, in spirit at least.
This could be a much longer post but to keep it simple.

You want to support a London club and you grew up in Biggin Hill. Then perhaps you may want to attach yourself to one of the closest teams to the London Borough of Bromley which looking at the maps seems to be Palace, Charlton or Millwall. And you do say that your family are Palace fans so don't you think there is a connection? You say that you now live in East Sussex so although not actually in London, it is just outside and Brighton and Hove Albion would be your local team too. And looking at how high the Seagulls have been flying this season looking all set for the second division (and who knows, better things afterwards?) and moving in to a nice new stadium, that could be an exciting challenge too. OK, Brighton is just outside London but not too far and after all somewhere that you have far more of a close connection with than Manchester!

And before you start kvetching that none of these sides are in the Premier League - who knows, maybe one day they will be, after all Charlton were a regular Premier team until four years ago and the other teams I have mentioned have all some past experience of being in the top division too. And besides, that is one of the fun things about being a football supporter especially of a team in the second or third tier - the adventure and excitement of mounting a challenege for promotion and the rollercoaster rides that go with it.

So, based on your geographical location and personal history I would narrow it down to Palace, Charlton, Millwall and Brighton. In fact, maybe see if you can get tickets to see any of those teams home games this season or even at the start of next, go and attend them and see which grounds and atmosphere etc you enjoyed the most and then come to a decision.
Original post by rockrunride

One more thing. If you neutrally watch MOTD lots a team will enter your heart naturally. Met an Australian Evertonian in France who used this method when in England.

But as I said feel free to ignore that.

Could Tim Cahill have had something to do with his allegiance? :wink:
Original post by robocop1andahalf
Could Tim Cahill have had something to do with his allegiance? :wink:

You're probably right.
arsenal arsenal arsenal
It feels kinda fake to me to pick a team. It seems most people support a certain team because of family or hometown influence. I didn't actively watch club football until the early noughties(despite my dad being a passionate Man U fan), when my brother "fell in love" with Thierry Henry and started watching Arsenal so I started as well and I've been hooked ever since. You could also just support the team closest to the university you will be attending.
Reply 30
Leyton Orient - I heard they are the best team in Leyton.
Original post by barnetlad
You were brought up in Biggin Hill, seems like you should follow one of the two local teams, Palace or Charlton.

Hopefully other Man U fans with no connection to Manchester will start to see the same way.

you cant say that united will be left with about 4 fans
Reply 32
Why do you even need to "support" a team at all?
Can't you just enjoy the game for what it is?
Original post by kopite493
you cant say that united will be left with about 4 fans

I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy if that were the case, apart from those who make prawn sandwiches.
Tbh, as long as it's not Liverpool or Manchester City, you're not doing too badly. The latter are an absolute joke and an embarassment to English football and the former are unbelievably dull to watch and have been for as long as I can remember.
You shouldn't. Supporters never change their team.

/thread
Reply 36
This is exactly what's wrong with Modern Football ...
Reply 37
Be warned supporting Arsenal is not good for your blood presssure.
Reply 38
Same as you i used to love Man United, Van Nistelroy, ryan giggs, paul scholes, the bald goal keeper.
I lost interest and now i'm back and supporting totteham, i like man united but i want a good team whos not one of the top 4.
Tottenham score lots of goals, have an English Manager (what a rariety), they have good players and they play attractively.
Reply 39
Original post by texico11
Okay, here's my situation. I've been a Man United fan most of my life. I was born in London and lived in Biggin Hill when I was a kid, and have always loved central London, but most of my friends in BH supported Man United, and as they were the ones who originally got me into football when I was 4ish, I started supporting them.

SURPRISE SURPRISE

Quick Reply

Latest