The Student Room Group

Self Harmers' tendency to beat up their loved ones?

I am a self harmer, I hit myself really hard, plus I am real strong.

I, in a fit of rage hit myself on my skull with my fists, in front of my girlfriend, she knows I am a self harmer, but wasn't aware that it actually is recognized as a problem.

She is concerned for me as well as her. I don't think I'd ever hurt her. But, she on the other hand fears that in future if I am really angry, I might raise my hand on her.

Is there a study to prove her wrong? Or Is there a study to prove her right?

Plus, what is your take on it, would a self harmer really raise a hand on their loved ones? I wouldn't because I just do it to relieve the stress.

Awaiting replies...
Reply 1
Shouldn't you be trying to get rid of this self-harming practise rather than finding a study about it?
Reply 2

I know of no studies on this. Have you seen a shrink about your self harming tendancies?
Reply 3
Original post by vpsycho
Shouldn't you be trying to get rid of this self-harming practise rather than finding a study about it?

I want to leave it, but its not as simple as it sounds... Just leave it, won't help... I am working on it...
Reply 4
Original post by Alpharius

I know of no studies on this. Have you seen a shrink about your self harming tendancies?

I haven't seen a shrink, I don't think I would... it would kind of be a stigma :frown: (I am not from the developed world) I have talked about it to some people I trust and it has helped me... But, sometimes I just can't control it.
Resulting to the violence because of an angry impulse is idiotic.
Reply 6
Depends on the person probably. I mean, I self harm, but wouldn't hurt anyone else- it's not the same at all, at least for me. But I can't speak for anyone else, if you're worried you'll hurt her, you could try some sort of anger management.
I think that would depend on why you're self harming. I think if you hit yourself "in a fit of rage" then you're more likely to accidentally lash out than people who do it for other reasons - to "feel something" as an example. I wouldn't say it's the self harm that makes you more likely to hit her but the uncontrollable rage. I have problems dealing with anger and I know I will hit people if I'm not careful but it's totally unrelated to the self harm for me.

Perhaps you should consider some kind of anger management?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I think it's unlikely - obviously everyone is different, but part of the whole thing with self-harm is that people direct strong feelings like rage inwards instead of lashing out. :erm:
Reply 9
Just checked my university's psychology resources, and the only link I could find is that women who self-harm are more likely to be domestically abused by their male partner, which just speaks volumes about how wonderful we are as a species.

She's right to be scared for you, by the way. Go see a bloody counsellor, for her sake.
Reply 10
Original post by ZZ9
Depends on the person probably. I mean, I self harm, but wouldn't hurt anyone else- it's not the same at all, at least for me. But I can't speak for anyone else, if you're worried you'll hurt her, you could try some sort of anger management.

I would never hit a woman, I have been brought up in an environment of domestic violence and I hated it! :angry: :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending