The Student Room Group

The importance of Russell Group Univeristies.

I am currently studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A2
I have applied and recieved unconditional offers from Reading, Essex, Nottingham Trent and Hertfordshire. To study Biomedical Sciences. I plan on firming Reading.

I have always wanted to go to a Russell group univeristy. However as I did not have a very good Yr 12 and didnt receive very good AS results, I felt scared that would not be able to get a place/offer at one of the Russelll group university and so i applied to university that were slightly down on the Ranking list (and obviuosly wanted lower grades) and didnt even go to see any of the Russell Universities.
I have had a better Yr 13 and I am working very hard and have started to get my grades up.

I am not exactly sure what I want to do after my degree but a serious option I am considering is graduate Medicine. And yes I know how VERY competative it is.

So my questions are: 1) If i seriously want to do Medicine and want to attend a Russelll group university, should I wait a year and try and get my grades up and re enter next year? I know about the financial implications of this.

2) I have visited Reading University and liked it and the course. Is it a good enough univerity to get a degree from? *I have read all rankings guides etc.. I just want some student opinons now*

3) By not attending a Russell group university i.e. Reading am I seriously lowering my chances of being a good candidate for graduate medicine even if I managed to get a 1st/ 2:1 ?

Sorry for such long questions. All opinions welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Petronella
I am currently studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A2
I have applied and recieved unconditional offers from Reading, Essex, Nottingham Trent and Hertfordshire. To study Biomedical Sciences. I plan on firming Reading.

I have always wanted to go to a Russell group univeristy. However as I did not have a very good Yr 12 and didnt receive very good AS results, I felt scared that would not be able to get a place/offer at one of the Russelll group university and so i applied to university that were slightly down on the Ranking list (and obviuosly wanted lower grades) and didnt even go to see any of the Russell Universities.
I have had a better Yr 13 and I am working very hard and have started to get my grades up.

I am not exactly sure what I want to do after my degree but a serious option I am considering is graduate Medicine. And yes I know how VERY competative it is.

So my questions are: 1) If i seriously want to do Medicine and want to attend a Russelll group university, should I wait a year and try and get my grades up and re enter next year? I know about the financial implications of this.

2) I have visited Reading University and liked it and the course. Is it a good enough univerity to get a degree from? *I have read all rankings guides etc.. I just want some student opinons now*

3) By not attending a Russell group university i.e. Reading am I seriously lowering my chances of being a good candidate for graduate medicine even if I managed to get a 1st/ 2:1 ?

Sorry for such long questions. All opinions welcome!

First of all, I insured Reading and Essex is my firm. If I didnt get into Essex, I will probably be at the same uni with you. :smile:

Secondly, I am no expert in Medicine but seeing as you have no response yet, i am going to just give you general advice. :smile:

1) Apparently, for Medicine you have to complete your A-levels in two years, only. So taking a year out to retake your AS exams to boost your grades up might not even help you. Some places are allowed you to do it 3 years but you have to have at least ABB after two year/before retaking anything already. Medicine is so competitive. You can find more information about entry requirement for Medicine here > http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

Also, I do not think it matters where you go to do Medicine. All medical schools are qualified and up to standard for the course. So whether it's Russell Group or not, it doesn't really matter really. As long as it's a medical school and it's where you want to go.

2) Russell Group is just a name. They recieve higher research funding that's all. Many RG unis are great but some are just as good as 1994 unis such as Reading, if not worst. I have always thought Reading is a good uni, it's top 30 out of 113. So it should be quite reputable. :smile: (I personally dont really like using evidence such as league tables or uni groups but they seem to support what I am saying)

I have not visitted Reading, was it goood? The town is nice? I just want to make sure I won't hate it if I dont get into my firm. lol For student opinion of Reading I think you will find that people who are qualified to answer this question will be in Reading uni sub forum. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I wouldnt be seen dead with anyone who hasn't been or isn't studying at a Russell Group university...
Reply 3
Not important to me, but important to my Mum :nopity:
Reply 4
Original post by neiljeff123
I wouldnt be seen dead with anyone who hasn't been or isn't studying at a Russell Group university...

So you wouldn't want to meet Prince William then? :P

OP: there are 2 top 10 (Times guide) unis who aren't in the RG, and many more mixed in the rankings with RG unis. The RG is just a group of unis who lobby for more research funding. LSE only joined a few years ago, the original criteria was that each uni had to have a medical school (hence no St Andrew's, Durham, Bath, Exeter, etc.) Although St Andrew's and Durham do half medicine courses now (2 or 3 years at that uni then you go to another one for your clinical years but it's all one course technically. Exeter has a medical school with Plymouth.)

The RG is far, far from being the be all and end all! Although I do understand where you're coming from in that all your choices are ranked below most RG unis.
Reply 5
Original post by neiljeff123

I'm sure thats not a problem. Most non-Russel group students would rather kill you that listen to you talk down to them anyway.
Original post by ussumane

My mum said she would gut me alive alive if I didn't get into a Russell Group uni :smug:
Reply 7
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
My mum said she would gut me alive alive if I didn't get into a Russell Group uni :smug:

My mum almost decapitated me for knowing someone going University of East London
Reply 8
Original post by Petronella
I have always wanted to go to a Russell group univeristy.

Before I continue, I'll start with this, don't mean for it to come off as a lecture.

The Russell Group, despite what the media claim, is not a collection of the "best" universities. It is group of large, research intensive universities (with largely a lobbying purposes).

There is also the 1994 Group. A similar group, but of smaller research intensive universities. Reading is in this group. The 1994 Group is not strictly inferior to the Russell Group. Many on here will perceive a number of 1994 Group universities (Durham, York, Exeter, St Andrews, Lancaster, Loughborough, Queen Mary) as being better than most RG universities (although, despite their often supeior league table positions and popularity with applicants, they aren't, but that doesn't mean they're worse either).

So my questions are: 1) If i seriously want to do Medicine and want to attend Russelll group university, should I wait a year and try and get my grades up and re enter next year? I know about the financial implications of this.

If you start university in 2012 you will need to pay the new tuition fees of up to 9k a year. This is unless you attend a Scottish university (Edinburgh and Glasgow being the only two Scottish RG universities) where fees will possibly be lower.

If you start university in 2011 you won't pay these higher fees.

Depends on whay you class as "good enough" but it is a thoroughly decent university (I have particular respect for its philosophy, Real Estate and business programmes in particular - though this isn't to say these are Reading's only strengths).

As mentioned, it is a member of the 1994 Group, and there's no reason why it cannot deliver a comparable standard of education as a Russell Group university. There is certainly no reason why attending Reading should disadvantage you in future plans.

If you want opinions from Reading students then feel free to create a thread in the Reading subforum.

The university you achieve your undergrad degree from will have little to no relevance. What's more, look at the universities with medical schools (or shared medical schools). Off the top of my head I can think of a few medical schools not in a Russell Group university. These are Durham, York, Hull, Exeter, East Anglia, Sussex, St Andrews and Aberdeen. All of those, with the exception of Aberdeen and Hull are in the 1994 Group. Aberdeen is a Scottish Ancient and has been teaching medicine for a number of centuries.

Durham's medical education is in partnership with a RG university (Newcastle). Exeter's with a former polytechnic (Plymouth) and Hull and York share theirs.

These are unlikely to be bothered whether your degree is from a RG university or not, are they? :p:

Don't get so obsessed with the Russell Group. Yes, they are all universities of international standing and amongst our leading universities. But the key word there is amongst. It is not a complete collection of our leading universities.
Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
I'm sure thats not a problem. Most non-Russel group students would rather kill you that listen to you talk down to them anyway.

:rofl:

Spoiler

Really? :holmes:
My mum almost decapitated me for knowing someone going University of East London

My mum tried to burn down the University of East London :smug:
Mate you need to do something about your mum's violent tendencies, your posts in this thread are a blatant cry for help.
Reply 12
Peeps, as much as I do have a sense of humour (seriously, though I may seem like a rambling and miserable tit I really do) can we please keep this on topic please? Thankies :hat2:
Original post by River85

Spoiler

:

Well I never believed he was 100% genuine. Just thought I'd fight fire with fire
Reply 14
Original post by River85
Off the top of my head I can think of a few medical schools not in a Russell Group university. These are Durham, York, Hull, Exeter, East Anglia, Sussex, St Andrews and Aberdeen. All of those, with the exception of Aberdeen and Hull are in the 1994 Group. Aberdeen is a Scottish Ancient and has been teaching medicine for a number of centuries.

Keele?

you talk sense - couldn't you just write this once and paste it in everytime someone starts the same topic?
Reply 15
Original post by River85

Spoiler

Really? :holmes:

Kinda...Im applying to SOAS anyways (a uni that is not in the russell group) but is not a bad uni so I guess she dosen''t mind.

But if i apply to a uni low in the rankings she would kill me. :afraid:

:rofl: You win :lol:
Reply 16
Original post by Joinedup
Keele?

Yeah, I missed Keele aas it's not a 1994 Group university (and I was concentrating on the 94 Group unis mainly), then I remembered it when reading through the post before posting but forgot to add it. I probably missed another.

you talk sense - couldn't you just write this once and paste it in everytime someone starts the same topic?

I'm thinking about making a sticky actually :p: Or a "Choosing a University thread" (including an FAQ - covering the Russell Group).
Reply 17
Kinda...Im applying to SOAS anyways (a uni that is not in the russell group) but is not a bad uni so I guess she dosen''t mind.

What does she think of the "top ten" 1994 Group universities, Durham or St Andrews for example? Does she know what the RG is (and that SOAS is in the 1994 Group)? I'll give her a lecture if you want? :p:
Original post by River85

I'm thinking about making a sticky actually :p: Or a "Choosing a University thread" (including an FAQ - covering the Russell Group).

Yeah. That's a good idea. It is quite annoying when people keep asking the same question everyday. Recently there are so many thread about Russell Group. It will also save your time because you type a lot. You might as well spend your time helping someone else instead of typing the same thing again and again because people don't knwo how to use Search. =.=
just so you know, Reading is an amazing university with a great reputation so I wouldn't be worried there, but they are going to be charging £9000 if you have a gap year. they also used to be a russell group university. not sure why they're not any more, they have great research facilities, espesh sciences! meteorology research centre at reading is the best in the world :s-smilie:

but the universities you've applied for all seem like very well-established, good universities. yes russell group are good, but not THE definition of the only good universities out there. pretty sure you could do medicine with a good class degree from Reading or any of the others!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending