The Student Room Group

People in Year 12 or below: Are you still going to university now fees have risen?

Scroll to see replies

If God wills me to, then i will
Original post by robotwars
We have seen that fees in most universities across the UK will be the maximum £9,000 a year, with a few exceptions charging a bit below that.

That's a huge amount of debt to take on into your later life - £27,000 in tuition fees, adding to that i would say roughly £9,000 for accommodation (depends where you are in the UK really) and however much you spend on food and other stuff.

I was wondering how many of you are considering going to university now, taking into account these massive fees and the huge debt you will be burdened with. Or do you know friends or family who have to consider this decision?

Thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:

University has always been forced on me by family, family-friends and school. (Im in year 10) & I did plan to go and i would've studied Law, but since they've put the costs up, it seems more unlikely that i would go. I don't understand why everybody is being motivated to go to university and have ambitions etc... but they're making it harder and more unlikely for students to go. Some people might not want to have to pay off £27,000 in debts, especially when they're so young. (Yes, i know you don't have to pay until you earn a certain amount of money, but i'd rather not have the stress of it.) In reality, the amount of available jobs out there is low, and i know people who have gone to university, but can't get a job because they are too over-qualified and the employers can't afford to employ them. I think im going to get my A-levels after my GCSE's and figure everything out from there. :h:
Reply 102
Original post by Noodlepants
Amen.

There's another one. I'm not going to stand around and get called a "foreign bastard" by the English, like some kind of second class citizen. The hypocrisy is incredible, if someone called an Indian a "foreign bastard" on here people would be up in arms. Not to mention the sheer ignorance of the statement.

****ing bigots.
Reply 103
Yes, I don't really know what else I would do with my life.
Original post by Implo
Yes, I don't really know what else I would do with my life.

(note I'm not attacking you Implo, just the current climate in which students are backed into a corner and forced to think that they've got no other option)

This, this attitude right here, is why media/design/donald duck studies at London Met still gets filled up with students. It's just a load of people saying, "idk what to do", getting into what, £40k debt, and then complaining they have too much debt. Seriously, think.

Honestly there really should be a standard for universities. All courses require CCC as a minimum. Anything that doesn't should not be regarded as a university, and rather a college.

3 years of a bit of hardship trying to find a job vs a degree that doesn't increase your job prospects isn't a very hard choice.

If on the other hand, you're doing a degree that will increase your job prospects, then weigh out the pros and cons and do it.

Yes, it's easy for me to say, but I had to seriously consider going to university. Everyone else should too.
Original post by Curzon

Original post by Curzon
Just added to my above post, take a gander.

Well c'est la vie I'm afraid, maybe you guys shouldn't have voted the tories in. We're all part of the UK yep, but we have different governments. There are federations all over the world, I don't know why people in England seem to find it so hard to get their heads around this.

I mentioned California because they generate a massive surplus and subsidise other areas of the USA.

Because the students it affects were 15/16 at the time the tories were voted in. We had no more to do with who was elected in England than in Wales/Scotland - it's not our **** up.
Reply 106
Original post by lilyrawstorne
Because the students it affects were 15/16 at the time the tories were voted in. We had no more to do with who was elected in England than in Wales/Scotland - it's not our **** up.

So? Maybe you should write Mr. Cameron a letter explaining that you were too young to vote in 2010, I'm sure he'll oblige.

This whole attitude that it's "unfair" that we get cheaper fees in Wales (and zilch in Scotland) is really annoying. I'd really like to go to uni in Edinburgh, if I was a Scot I'd be able to go for free and I'd be far more likely to get a place as well. You don't see me moaning about that, that's the Scots' business. As far as I'm concerned we're different countries anyway.

We voted to have our own government, you need to respect that really. Better yet, make some noise about an English government, then you could charge Welsh people to drive on English roads or something.
Reply 107
TSR is hardly going to give you an accurate representation.

I personally am still going to go, but I don't think the government is providing the right amount of support for middle-income households. Low-income households will get grants and bursaries and more opportunities now universities have to up their quotas of students from low-income backgrounds - where is the support for the 'squeezed middle'?
Reply 108
1. Get degree
2.Become £36000 + living expenses in debt.
3. Move to Colombia where student finances forget about me.
4. ??????????
5. PROFIT!
Original post by Curzon
There's another one. I'm not going to stand around and get called a "foreign bastard" by the English, like some kind of second class citizen. The hypocrisy is incredible, if someone called an Indian a "foreign bastard" on here people would be up in arms. Not to mention the sheer ignorance of the statement.

****ing bigots.

Calm down, calm down.
We wouldn't want you getting your bill grundies in a twist now would we? :colone:
Reply 110
At first I thought that the fees increase was a bad idea that would steal a university education away from the poor. But from talking to people, the fees really aren't going to deter people. The fees increase helps this economy cut it's deficit, whilst at the same time giving Universities extra funding to become better, just like they are in America. University for so many people isn't a financial choice, it's a lifestyle choice - going to Uni is just the done thing, cost is practically irrelevant. People won't stop going to Uni, because people are good at spending money they don't yet have.
Just do an engineering degree. They get paid cashmoney. You won't be worrying about the debt when you're making big money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending