The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by gilllybeans
Would appreciate it if you didn't make generalisations. I am asian and definitely not muslim, far from it. Also, I'm not planning to burn any bibles but completely agree with the fact muslims "blow" things out of proportion compared to other religious groups.
How can they complain when they burnt the poppies for armistice day? They had nothing to do with religion, a complete lack of respect for those who died.

I did not say that Asians were Muslims.
Reply 41
Original post by No Future
Because all Christians are white and all Muslims are Asian.

Yeah! :rolleyes:

what about black people what are they
1.5 billion Muslims did not all burn poppies on armistice day. Therefore it is not hypocritical for those who didn't burn those poppies to now oppose burning the Q'uran.

Not every white bloke burnt a qur'an. So don't go assuming you are the only ones with the right to complain. That is all you seem to do.
Original post by barzy_j
a 'book'? utter ignorance, humble yourself.

You can buy it on ebay, it's a commodity. Yes, it's a book.
Reply 44
Original post by barzy_j
a 'book'? utter ignorance, humble yourself.

The Qur'an is a book. The man burnt The Qur'an. The man burnt a book.
Reply 45
He should be allowed to do what he wants, it shouldn't be up to the State to decide :/
Original post by Rzc
I know right, sad thing is people on this thread are gonna neg us for having these views...

They can neg me all they want its not gonna change my far right views and beliefs.
Reply 47
Original post by sixthformer
He has no valid reason to do so...

I feel a little bit muffled, i am afraid anything i say will be reported as ' off topic '

ok, basically, he gave no explanation, he is inciting religious tension, and his intentions were to cause rifts and to slander muslims,

he is only fooling himself.

We muslims are peaceful, we wish to engage in dialouge with this man and his supporters, to condemn what he did, and to answer all his misconceptions, though i doubt he's ever read the Divine Book

It would be perfectly legal if he did it to another religion's holy book. He is expressing himself and his opinions, as far as I can see it. Yes, it's offensive. But simply because it's offensive doesn't mean he cannot do it. Freedom of speech doesn't stop when you're personally offended by what they're saying.

And yea, he probably hasn't read the book. I think it's good to clear up misconceptions, but that doesn't mean what he did wasn't within his rights.
Original post by Selkarn
I did not say that Asians were Muslims.

Good.:smile:
Reply 49
why does he not have the freedom to do this? he has the freedom to burn harry potter, which is just as much fiction as the quran, leave that to one side for now,

if this was a bible, nothing would happen, nothing at al, this society is disgusting, too much tolerance for certain people and too strict on mainly whites/ christians, and they say we are all equal here, ha dont make me laugh, its has gone from extreme in the 80's (racism against ethnic minorities) to extremes now where we tolerate whatever they do because we dont want to be seen as racist or cause any confrontation
Original post by B-Man.

They would also be arrested and be subject to the same legal proceedings as the BNP candidate in the news article.

I don't think they would.

We all know how muslims react to cartoons of the Prophet, when literature is deemed Islamaphobic (Salman Rushdie), and when the Qur'an is burnt (UN staff murdered, violent riots...).

The police are trying to appease the muslims by this. What he did was wrong. But arresting him?
Reply 51
Original post by B-Man.
Those two scenarios are NOT the same. One is insulting soldiers, the other is insulting a religious group. A valid comparison would be if someone burnt the Bible and was not arrested.

Now, I believe burning the Q'uran and poppies are both disgusting and mindless acts. Yet I believe people have a right to express such views. Do we live in a democracy or don't we? Freedom of speech must be protected. It's a weird thing when I find myself envious of America.

They would also be arrested and be subject to the same legal proceedings as the BNP candidate in the news article.

1.5 billion Muslims did not all burn poppies on armistice day. Therefore it is not hypocritical for those who didn't burn those poppies to now oppose burning the Q'uran.

your an idiot, my argument is that they were not arrested for something which is of equal disgrace, and arguably worse seeing as we are in BRITAIN
Reply 52
Original post by gilllybeans

Not every white bloke burnt a qur'an. So don't go assuming you are the only ones with the right to complain. That is all you seem to do.

:confused: I didn't claim every white bloke burnt a Q'uran.
All I do is complain - what have I complained about, exactly?
I think it is right that there are consequences for burning religious texts, whichever religion they originated from. It's just completely disrespectful and unnecessary.

I think there's a huge difference between innocent soldiers loosing their lives on a humanatarian mission to try improve the society of those countries whose people have been repressed, neglected and ulitmately deluded, and then having their name tarnished/disrespected by a group, or rather, an extension of those who took the soldiers lives-

and the burning of a commodity, which is of no real consqeunce/importance to this country and has not been hitherto. And incidentally, is the book which those extremists read from/stand by.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Alpharius
I don't think they would.

We all know how muslims react to cartoons of the Prophet, when literature is deemed Islamaphobic (Salman Rushdie), and when the Qur'an is burnt (UN staff murdered, violent riots...).

The police are trying to appease the muslims by this. What he did was wrong. But arresting him?

You have commented on a select number of Muslims reacting rather stupidly. However, this in no way validates your claim that the same arrest would not have ensued if the Bible was burnt, instead.
Original post by Khaysha-Saine
This thread isnt going to end well :sad:

But im going to sit back and enjoy :colone:

This.
I bet he recieves a much harsher punishment than the thugs who burn poppys while the rest of the country was in silence ( which in my opinion warrants a trip to the gallows)
Reply 58
Original post by barzy_j
what on earth are you actually talking about? 'only your view'? and how is the other forumer taking away someone's freedom? and yes he is affecting their freedom, mine at that too. we all have rights, certainly, does that mean we can use it to degrade the belief of others?

Yes. Liberal Democracies and Free Speech are tested not by palatable views but by unpalatable fringe views. Every time sixthformer posts I find my view on the ingenuity, wisdom and prowess of humanity degraded. Should I be able to force the lady to shut up?

I say nay!

On the topic I agree with the view that the authorities' actions in this case was wrong and I hope for a positive (not-guilty) outcome to his trial.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by NeonSkies
I think it is right that there are consequences for burning religious texts, whichever religion they originated from. It's just completely disrespectful and unnecessary.

And the Quran is disreptful to me as an atheist. What should we do about that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending