The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Angel11
Lol not all Muslims are asian

And not all Brits are Christians. Who said this guy was?
Reply 61
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions

That would mean we would have to ban the practice of Islam, which has little respect for other cultures, religions and traditions.
Reply 62
Original post by HedonisticMe
I think there's a huge difference between innocent soldiers loosing their lives on a humanatarian mission to try improve the society of those countries whose people have been repressed, neglected and ulitmately deluded, and then having their name tarnished/disrespected by a group, or rather, an extension of those who took the soldiers lives-

I think your deluding yourself if you think British soldiers are on a humanitarian mission in Afghanistan. They are not, it's an imperialistic one with our national and political interests being at the heart of it. That being said the soldiers are brave in signing up and they have my full respect. Burning poppies is a disgraceful act.

Original post by HedonisticMe
and the burning of a commodity, which is of no real consqeunce/importance to this country and has not been hitherto. And incidentally, is the book which those extremists read from/stand by.

So, whether we have the right to disparage something or not is dependent on it's neccesity to the country? Can we insult the NHS? Teachers?
Original post by Ramel
And the Quran is disreptful to me as an atheist. What should we do about that?

It isn't doing you any harm. Let people make their own choices in life. If you want respect for being an atheist, you should respect those of a religion.

I am an atheist myself but the Qu'ran, Bible etc. do not offend me... you just have to accept that people have different beliefs.
Reply 64
Original post by NeonSkies
It isn't doing... any harm.

Neither is this man burning a copy of the Quran.
Original post by B-Man.
You have commented on a select number of Muslims reacting rather stupidly. However, this in no way validates your claim that the same arrest would not have ensued if the Bible was burnt, instead.

First off, I know many muslims would not get mad about Qur'an burning.

If a Bible was burnt, no-one would kill anyone. Christianities power was broken after the enlightenment (well, in Europe...). Islam has gone through no such enlightenment, and some muslims will take the burnings as an excuse to kill others. Thats practically a garantee at the moment.

This arrest was only done because the police and government are scared of Islam. They have a gun on the table, even if they do not use it. This would not be done if a Bible was burnt. No-ones scared of Christians (not anymore, anyway).
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions
So we have freedom to say what we like, so long as no one disagrees with it. :biggrin:

Sounds a little like Henry Ford's offer of a Model-T in any colour the customer chooses -- so long as it's black.
Original post by Ramel
Neither is this man burning a copy of the Quran.

Ummm... yes it is. It has clearly upset the people who value it as a religious text. I'm pretty sure you would be upset if someone burnt your house down with all your possessions in that others may find insignificant but were very valuable to you. It's a similar situation. You might think the Qu'ran is insignificant in your life but that does not give you the right to burn it.

If you want to live your life being a bigot there's no point in arguing with you, that's your issue.
Original post by barzy_j
what on earth are you actually talking about? 'only your view'? and how is the other forumer taking away someone's freedom?

What? I didn't say the other poster was taking away anyone’s freedom. I was trying to say it's only his or her view that the Quran is the word of God so any effort to violate rights based on a book is ridiculous.

Original post by barzy_j

and yes he is affecting their freedom, mine at that too. we all have rights, certainly, does that mean we can use it to degrade the belief of others?

The freedom of speech is a fundamental right pivotal to human freedom. Whether or not you get offended shouldn't take away someone’s right to express their views. You have the right to express your views; they have the right express theirs. Nobody’s freedoms are being compromised here.
Reply 69
Original post by Alpharius

If a Bible was burnt, no-one would kill anyone. Christianities power was broken after the enlightenment (well, in Europe...). Islam has gone through no such enlightenment, and some muslims will take the burnings as an excuse to kill others. Thats practically a garantee at the moment.

This arrest was only done because the police and government are scared of Islam. They have a gun on the table, even if they do not use it. This would not be done if a Bible was burnt. No-ones scared of Christians (not anymore, anyway).

It's irrelevant how Christians would react to the burning of a Bible. The point is you have no evidence to support the claim that burning a Bible would not warrant the same arrest. Where is your evidence for the claim that someone would not be arrested if they burnt a Bible?
Reply 70
Ummm... yes it is. It has clearly upset the people who value it as a religious text. I'm pretty sure you would be upset if someone burnt your house down with all your possessions in that others may find insignificant but were very valuable to you. It's a similar situation. You might think the Qu'ran is insignificant in your life but that does not give you the right to burn it.

If you want to live your life being a bigot there's no point in arguing with you, that's your issue.

If Muslims choose to be offended by someone burning the Quran then I have the right to be offended by the bad stuff said about atheists and et cetera in the Quran, do I not?

Why do they have the right to offend me but I don't have the right to offend them?
Reply 71
Original post by Angel11
Lol not all Muslims are asian

But the vast majority are....
Reply 72
Personally it's fine that he's been arrested, but as the people who burnt poppies were only fined £50, and this was in a public place on remembrance day, so I don't think that he should have any greater punishment than this.
Original post by B-Man.
It's irrelevant how Christians would react to the burning of a Bible. The point is you have no evidence to support the claim that burning a Bible would not warrant the same arrest. Where is your evidence for the claim that someone would not be arrested if they burnt a Bible?

Where is your evidence that they won't be?

See how stupid that question is?
Original post by B-Man.
I think your deluding yourself if you think British soldiers are on a humanitarian mission in Afghanistan. They are not, it's an imperialistic one with our national and political interests being at the heart of it. That being said the soldiers are brave in signing up and they have my full respect. Burning poppies is a disgraceful act.

So, whether we have the right to disparage something or not is dependent on it's neccesity to the country? Can we insult the NHS? Teachers?

You're equating the Quran's value to our society to that of our teachers/the NHS? Really? I think you'll find an NHS, or more importantly, teachers/proper education, are in severe lack of existence in Islamic states (where the Quran is of paramount importance) thus I can only conclude we're better of without it. Of course we have the right to insult the NHS/teachers, do we not, forgive me? We seemingly don't where the Quran's concerned. Which is odd.

And once more, forgive me if I'm wrong- but what is your beef with acting in the best of our nation's interests? If pushing to rid an extremist group which throughout this decade has targeted every ****ign society in the world with terrorist attacks, and has indiciated no sign of it's ceasing- fine, think what you like. Next you'll be telling me "it's all for the oil idiots......"
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ramel
If Muslims choose to be offended by someone burning the Quran then I have the right to be offended by the bad stuff said about atheists and et cetera in the Quran, do I not?

Why do they have the right to offend me but I don't have the right to offend them?

I never said they have the right to offend you. I've never read the Qu'ran myself so have no idea what it contains, but if they are practising their religion away from you where you have no involvement it shouldn't really be an issue.

I think you're just being overly tetchy. That's cool, and I can understand why you have these feelings but you can't use these as an excuse to offend a whole religion who haven't done anything directly to harm you.
Reply 76
Original post by sixthformer
We should respect all religious scriptures, because we should respect each others beliefs, to function as a multi-cultural society.

Oh, yeah, you're being very respectful towards other religious scriptures.

sixthformer
Someone burning the only unchanged holy book, containing the direct words of God, the person who created the universe and what we see, highlighted guidance, and containing clear proofs from scientific...

Evidence for all these claims?

sixthformer
Anyone who has actually researched the Holy Quran and what it entails would never do such a thing. Someone who is ignorant would.

No True Scotsman fallacy.
Reply 77
but if they are practising their religion away from you where you have no involvement it shouldn't really be an issue.

And this man burnt his copy of the Quran in his garden away from Muslims.

You need to be consistent here. If Muslims can practice and preach a homophobic, xenophobic, anti-atheist and et cetera religion that is offensive to many people, then you have no moral right to condemn those who offend Muslims.

This is a two way street.
Reply 78
Original post by Ramel
And this man burnt his copy of the Quran in his garden away from Muslims.

You need to be consistent here. If Muslims can practice and preach a homophobic, xenophobic, anti-atheist and et cetera religion that is offensive to many people, then you have no moral right to condemn those who offend Muslims.

This is a two way street.

If Muslims were to advocate discrimination on these grounds, they too would be arrested as it would be breaking the law.
Reply 79
Original post by Joker370
Personally it's fine that he's been arrested, but as the people who burnt poppies were only fined £50, and this was in a public place on remembrance day, so I don't think that he should have any greater punishment than this.

EXACTLY, what other country would have accepted this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending