The Student Room Group

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job?

I've only heard people talking about doing the usual 9 to 5 jobs after graduating from University (or finishing College).

Is there anyone here who has hopes of pursuing something different or atypical afterwards? It can be anything...

Musician, professional athlete, biker, starting their own business, busker, pro poker player... it can be anything!

What are you planning to / hoping to pursue?

edit: Okay I know 9-5 isn't the best word. What I meant is anyone planning on doing an "atypical" job, one that isn't commonly used like "banker" or "accountant" or "nurse" etc.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I might have to spend a lot of time on an oil platform.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I might have to spend a lot of time on an oil platform.

Doing what out of curiosity? :smile:
Reply 3
My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.
Me - being a doctor means I probably won't have those hours :tongue:
Reply 5
The job I'm hoping to get involves shifts. Not everything in the world happens between 9 and 5. :p:
I aim to get a couple of novels published. Gonna do some 9-5 though, I'll need a plan B.
Reply 7
I'm planning on winning the lottery, so I won't need a 9-5 job :smile:
Original post by IceWater
Doing what out of curiosity? :smile:

Drilling engineering.
Reply 9
Chances of this happening are probably quite slim but I'd love to be able to work from a laptop and earn enough to fund travelling abroad.
Reply 10
Original post by thegodofgod
Me - being a doctor means I probably won't have those hours :tongue:

My brother does Medicine as well. I can't imagine how people can want to do Medicine with the hours they have and the stuff they have to put up with, with little recognition :o:. Much respect though, it must be immensely rewarding!
Reply 11
Original post by SteveCrain
My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.

What so a footballer who doesn't work 9 to 5 isn't living a comfortable life?
I've no idea what the heck I want to do in life.
Reply 13
Original post by Blueflare
The job I'm hoping to get involves shifts. Not everything in the world happens between 9 and 5. :p:

Yep I know, I couldn't think of better descriptor. Maybe "atypical" job?
Original post by aaaaaa

Sarcasm detectors faulty.
Reply 15
Original post by aaaaaa

There are exceptions; that said, the footballers life may lack stability. I assume you are potential footballer quality?
Reply 16
**** YES

JOB, that word is horrid.

I want to start my own business and ultimately because of taking that risk I will end up way more succesful than anyone working 9-5. I am 17 and earn more than most graduates doing 1 or 2 10 minute pitches a week to local small businesses and paying some guy in india £6 a day to do all the work.

Once I have my degree I'm moving to the states and living the American Dream. I'm going to start my digital advertising and media empire, sell it after 8 years and retire by 30 a multi-millionaire.

**** what society wants from me. **** conforming. I want to work my ass off for a fraction of my life so the rest of it can be spent relaxing and pursueing my hobbies.

There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.

There are lots of jobs that pay well that aren't 9-5, like doctors for example.

Not sure if teaching counts as non- 9 to 5 because you often have to stay back to prepare lesson plans and mark work I guess. Nice holidays though :tongue:
Reply 18

The way I see it doing a 9-5 gives you a comfortable salary, little risk etc. it's what I call a "low variance job"

Not doing a typical job means that there's a lot more risk involved, yep you can crash and burn if you say, start up your own business, or don't have a plan B when pursuing a career as an athlete, BUT if you do well, the rewards would be absolutely massive. It's what I call a "high variance job".

I personally prefer the latter, I believe in myself enough to do reasonably well!
Me.

I want to set up my own software engineering and web design/development business in the United States. I will work whatever hours I can freelancing at first to build a portfolio but then i'll employ other computer science/web design/software engineering graduates to work for my company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending