The Student Room Group

Empathy Quotient test - with poll

Scroll to see replies

41. Low for a woman, but still average. Works.
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm at university and managing ok....haven't got any friends though. :colondollar: There's plenty of careers where human contact isn't necessary or is limited.

Although, my I don't really care was more directed at if I did have aspergers there isn't any cure, that's why I see no point getting tested or anything. Likewise there's no cure for having little empathy, why worry about something unchangeable?

Have you had an audience with anyone qualified to give you a diagnoses on the matter?

Is there no cure for having little empathy? Empathy isn't wholly biological, and unless you have some form of debilitating handicap I refuse to believe there are no ways of increasing emotional astuteness.
63 and study sciences!
Original post by SteveCrain
Have you had an audience with anyone qualified to give you a diagnoses on the matter?

Is there no cure for having little empathy? Empathy isn't wholly biological, and unless you have some form of debilitating handicap I refuse to believe there are no ways of increasing emotional astuteness.

No. What would the point be in having a diagnosis? There is no cure for aspergers so it seems retarded to actively seek out a label that would only hurt me. :s-smilie:

I'd say quite a lot of it is biological, I've read many books about how to talk to people normally and I keep trying to put them into practice but, as I mentioned in my last post, it doesn't pay off. Seriously I've been actively trying to change for about 7 years and got no decent results. I don't see how having a label stuck to me for the rest of my life would make any difference to that. :dontknow:
No. What would the point be in having a diagnosis? There is no cure for aspergers so it seems retarded to actively seek out a label that would only hurt me. :s-smilie:

I'd say quite a lot of it is biological, I've read many books about how to talk to people normally and I keep trying to put them into practice but, as I mentioned in my last post, it doesn't pay off. Seriously I've been actively trying to change for about 7 years and got no decent results. I don't see how having a label stuck to me for the rest of my life would make any difference to that. :dontknow:

Possibly qualify you for professional help, which I assume you would want after those 7 years. What do you study at university?
What if you study Humanities? :dry:

18. When I was a child, I enjoyed cutting up worms to see what would happen.

lolwut?

(edited 13 years ago)

20, CompSci, hmmm...
Original post by Ich Dien
What if you study Humanities? :dry:

then you study "arts"
Original post by SteveCrain
Possibly qualify you for professional help, which I assume you would want after those 7 years. What do you study at university?

Yeah but that's the bit I don't see the point in, professionals can't help they'll just tell me to study math and get a career doing that far away from people.

I study politics and international relations.
I got 48. Totes average :biggrin:
10. study arts.

don't have autism and psychopath so this test is wrong ;D
60. :smile:
18. Meh, I can see it
and i want to study business or arts :redface:
I got a 47. Average :biggrin:
56, which I was expecting because I get far too involved in other people's problems :tongue: and I study Maths, Biology and Chemistry :smile:
Yeah but that's the bit I don't see the point in, professionals can't help they'll just tell me to study math and get a career doing that far away from people.

That's not true. Autism-specific therapies can help a lot if they're done right by a suitably qualified professional. In fact, I read that some 15-20% of kids with Asperger's who are diagnosed early and receive appropriate intervention techniques actually "outgrow" the diagnosis, i.e. they no longer meet the diagnostic criteria once they reach early adulthood. And even if you didn't have the luck of being diagnosed as a toddler therapies can still help a lot. You can train your brain to be less sensitive to certain sensory stimuli, you can learn to adapt to changes that in the past would have invoked meltdowns, etc. Of course if you don't have any such issues that hold you back academically or cause problems in everyday life then professional help may very well be pointless. But in such case you may not qualify for a diagnosis anyway, so it doesn't really even matter.

Original post by Marsha2112
They meant that people with Asperger's get <32, not that everyone with <32 must have Aspergers.

+rep for being one of the (apparently) few people to understand how these tests actually work.

Anyhow, I have taken that test twice and got 6 and 8. I do have Asperger Syndrome though, so... And I study sciences.
74 and I study Medicine, which is both an art and a science. But I polled science.
Reply 197
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
I agree with your whole post. And your political compass :colone: I also would like a cookie.

:cookie:

Let's have a cookie party :dance:

I didn't just make that up...:ninja:
Reply 198
I got 18... Heh. I'm not diagnosed with anything.
47- completely average

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending