The Student Room Group

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IceWater
The way I see it doing a 9-5 gives you a comfortable salary, little risk etc. it's what I call a "low variance job"

Not doing a typical job means that there's a lot more risk involved, yep you can crash and burn if you say, start up your own business, or don't have a plan B when pursuing a career as an athlete, BUT if you do well, the rewards would be absolutely massive. It's what I call a "high variance job".

I personally prefer the latter, I believe in myself enough to do reasonably well!

You can do more than reasonably well with a 9-5.
Reply 21
Original post by SayonaraSamm
I aim to get a couple of novels published. Gonna do some 9-5 though, I'll need a plan B.

Nice! I suck at writing but I'd love to publish something one day! :smile:

What's your niche! Also, seeing as in the typical 9-5/6 day, people usually only have 4-5 free hours during the weekend, when would you have the type to write a novel?
Reply 22
Original post by NeonSkies
There are lots of jobs that pay well that aren't 9-5, like doctors for example.

Not sure if teaching counts as non- 9 to 5 because you often have to stay back to prepare lesson plans and mark work I guess. Nice holidays though :tongue:

Doctors are hugely unsatisfied and agitated individuals; outside 9-5 is outside the comfort zone.
Reply 23
Original post by SteveCrain
You can do more than reasonably well with a 9-5.

I can understandthat but I really admire people who take a risk, do something like start up their own business / work they way into being musicians / write a novel and basically take a risk. I know it's easy to crash and burn in "atypical" careers if you don't have a backup plan but the when you succeed, it must be so rewarding.
I've only heard people talking about doing the usual 9 to 5 jobs after graduating from University (or finishing College).

Is there anyone here who has hopes of pursuing something different or atypical afterwards? It can be anything...

Musician, professional athlete, biker, starting their own business, busker, pro poker player... it can be anything!

What are you planning to / hoping to pursue?

edit: Okay I know 9-5 isn't the best word. What I meant is anyone planning on doing an "atypical" job, one that isn't commonly used like "banker" or "accountant" or "nurse" etc.

I'm not, and looking back, (other than the 2yrs before I bluffed 7 gsce passes when I planned on a construction trade) don'nt think I ever did.
Reply 25
I'm going to be working WITH a BILLIONAIRE business man in the summer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My brother does Medicine as well. I can't imagine how people can want to do Medicine with the hours they have and the stuff they have to put up with, with little recognition :o:. Much respect though, it must be immensely rewarding!

Yeah - but the money does start flowing in afterwards, like at consultant level.

Plus you virtually get a pay rise every year from getting your medical degree to consultant level.
Reply 27
Original post by wactm
**** YES

JOB, that word is horrid.

I want to start my own business and ultimately because of taking that risk I will end up way more succesful than anyone working 9-5. I am 17 and earn more than most graduates doing 1 or 2 10 minute pitches a week to local small businesses and paying some guy in india £6 a day to do all the work.

Once I have my degree I'm moving to the states and living the American Dream. I'm going to start my digital advertising and media empire, sell it after 8 years and retire by 30 a multi-millionaire.

**** what society wants from me. **** conforming. I want to work my ass off for a fraction of my life so the rest of it can be spent relaxing and pursueing my hobbies.

There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.

Lol nice. You say you earn most graduates, can you expand on that, and what you do?

What are you hobbies that you'd want to pursue for the next 50 or so years of your life?
Reply 28
I can understandthat but I really admire people who take a risk, do something like start up their own business / work they way into being musicians / write a novel and basically take a risk. I know it's easy to crash and burn in "atypical" careers if you don't have a backup plan but the when you succeed, it must be so rewarding.

Why would you admire people who take a risk?
Join the forces! a non-typical not 9-5 job. Where else in the world do they let you run around with machine guns and pay you for the privelege?
Reply 30
I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do yet, but I know with absolute certainty that I don't want a bog-standard 9-5 job when I finish uni. My biggest fear is a life of mediocrity, it's a waste in my opinion. Life is about thrills and doing something new everyday. Forget being comfortable, comfortable is boring. Call me a dreamer but I won't be happy until I am financially-free, living a life of luxury and travelling around the world :p:, that's still a long way away for now though...

Original post by wactm
I'm going to start my digital advertising and media empire, sell it after 8 years and retire by 30 a multi-millionaire.

**** what society wants from me. **** conforming. I want to work my ass off for a fraction of my life so the rest of it can be spent relaxing and pursueing my hobbies.

There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.

Exactly! This guy has the right idea :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by SteveCrain
There are exceptions; that said, the footballers life may lack stability. I assume you are potential footballer quality?

No not at all just read your post and thought you don't have to have a 9 to 5 job to live a comfortable life. But i suppose everyone has their opinion
Reply 32
I've only heard people talking about doing the usual 9 to 5 jobs after graduating from University (or finishing College).

Is there anyone here who has hopes of pursuing something different or atypical afterwards? It can be anything...

Musician, professional athlete, biker, starting their own business, busker, pro poker player... it can be anything!

What are you planning to / hoping to pursue?

edit: Okay I know 9-5 isn't the best word. What I meant is anyone planning on doing an "atypical" job, one that isn't commonly used like "banker" or "accountant" or "nurse" etc.

I don't plan too.
I plan to work from home (Doing Computer Science as a degree so not too hard) and Foster care.
Reply 33
Original post by UpsidedownLandMan
Join the forces! a non-typical not 9-5 job. Where else in the world do they let you run around with machine guns and pay you for the privelege?

Yes, and be fooled into thinking your 'fighting the terrorists' when you're really trading blood for oil, getting mentally disturbed and ending up raping women and young females as a result of the disaster your mind has become.
Reply 34
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah - but the money does start flowing in afterwards, like at consultant level.

Plus you virtually get a pay rise every year from getting your medical degree to consultant level.

Yep. From what I have heard when you start off the salary is lower than most jobs but at consultant level the money seems good! Like 90k + or is it less?

But to be honest, you have to work so hard as a doctor like throughout the night and it must really stress you out :o:. I don't know if I have the capacity to do that so I admire doctors who don't mind waking up at like 2am to meet a patient!
Nice! I suck at writing but I'd love to publish something one day! :smile:

What's your niche! Also, seeing as in the typical 9-5/6 day, people usually only have 4-5 free hours during the weekend, when would you have the type to write a novel?

I suck at writing too, I'm just determined! But me, a writer, you a publisher... I can see this going somewhere! Heh. But yeah, I tend to write whenever I'm not doing anything else, so I guess I'll just take things a page at a time, let it slowly build up, see what I end up with...
Reply 36
Original post by agolati
I'm going to be working WITH a BILLIONAIRE business man in the summer :smile:

Wow nice, what are you up to in the summer?
Reply 37
9-5? Ew.

Enjoy your life with your slightly overweight wife (with a pretty face), 2.2 children, semi-detached housing, Ford Galaxy and general mediocrity.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by thegodofgod

Advertising Medicine and income does not really go hand in hand, sorry. Brains for low income, but high job satisfaction.
Reply 39
I love how everyone is shunning the 9-5 when it is no more than a time period. Would you prefer a 2-7 or a 1-3?

9-5 may aswell be synonymous, according to you, to "sitting behind a gray desk on which there is a computer that sounds like an airplane taking off with windows 95 installed".

Quick Reply