The Student Room Group

Are Homosexuals Really Just Sufferers Of Eurotophobia?

This is a serious question and is no way an insult. I saw this on a health TV channel last night and was intrigued as I'd never heard of such a phobia before.

Basically, Its a phobia of vaginas. So I was wondering if homosexual men are really just suffering from this phobia. As they have this phobia they are then obviously repulsed by vaginas and therefore assume they are homosexuals.

Then, I wonder if homosexual women were sufferers of Phallophobia, a fear of penises.

Surely, this could be the case? Especially considering neither of these phobias are actually heard about in the media so a large proportion of the global population are likely to be unaware of such phobias.

I'm not homophobic in any way, Its a serious question and if it comes across as an insult then I do apologise in advance.

I'm sure that the majority of homosexuals are because they are attracted to the opposite sex but surely its also likely that there is a small percentage that are suffering from these phobias. For example; those that go through a phase or those that say they are confused about their sexuality. Maybe, these phobias are the reason for their underlying confusion.

Discuss Please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
This is a serious question and is no way an insult. I saw this on a health TV channel last night and was intrigued as I'd never heard of such a phobia before.

Basically, Its a phobia of vaginas. So I was wondering if homosexual men are really just suffering from this phobia. As they have this phobia they are then obviously repulsed by vaginas and therefore assume they are homosexuals.

Then, I wonder if homosexual women were sufferers of Phallophobia, a fear of penises.

Surely, this could be the case? Especially considering neither of these phobias are actually heard about in the media so a large proportion of the global population are likely to be unaware of such phobias.

I'm not homophobic in any way, Its a serious question and if it comes across as an insult then I do apologise in advance.

I'm sure that the majority of homosexuals are because they are attracted to the opposite sex but surely its also likely that there is a small percentage that are suffering from these phobias. For example; those that go through a phase or those that say they are confused about their sexuality. Maybe, these phobias are the reason for their underlying confusion.

Discuss Please!

Being afraid of vaginas doesn't mean you're sexually attracted to penises and vice-versa.
Erm, homosexuals are homosexuals because they are sexually attracted to men.

Not because because they're 'afraid of vaginas'.

You either lack common sense, or the ability to do 15 seconds worth of googling.
Reply 3
You're looking into it too much. One thing I always thought is that homosexuality could never exist within genes, due to natural selection.
Reply 4
URGH. just ignore this.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Erm, homosexuals are homosexuals because they are sexually attracted to men.

Not because because they're 'afraid of vaginas'.

You either lack common sense, or the ability to do 15 seconds worth of googling.

Many men think they're homosexual though but do not engage with sexual encounters with other men, hence the confusion stages in sexuality which a lot of men/women go through.

Some men may have a phobia of vaginas and therefore think 'I must be gay as I find vaginas repulsive', not realising they actually have a phobia and it doesn't exactly mean they are homosexual. They could be asexual. However, some then try to get involved with me to 'test the water' shall we say with homosexual relationships.

I stated this in the OP. I know of one person who thought for years he was gay but when it came down to it, he doesn't like men or women. Then I saw this on the TV which made me wonder if this led to him thinking he was gay.
Reply 6
How does a phobia make you attracted to something else?
Reply 7
Original post by Selkarn
You're looking into it too much. One thing I always thought is that homosexuality could never exist within genes, due to natural selection.

im gona get neged for this but oh well

it could always be a mutation of the genes
Original post by Ramel
How does a phobia make you attracted to something else?

It could set off confusion which is an emotional trigger.

Once a person is confused about their sexuality then its likely they'll explore other options. For example; a man finds vaginas repulsive due to a phobia of them. He thinks 'I must be gay' due to being confused about his sexuality. He then goes and tries things with men because he thinks that's how he should be because he doesn't like vaginas. He then may/may not like men either. This is what im trying to say.

Many homosexuals, or men who think they're homosexuals, may have gotten involved with other men purely for the reason they find vaginas repulsive, especially due to the fact that asexuality is not well known about in society and many people regard that as being weird, unfortunately in our narrow minded society. So if he dislikes vaginas then he may think 'well I must like men' and therefore go and test the water due to confusion.
Reply 9

Discuss Please!

Pal, when you put it like that, you seem to think that homosexuals are settling for second best - because gay guys have phobia of vaginas, therefore they're settling for penises. Well, if you don't like broccoli, that doesn't give you any reason to like spinach. Gays are gays because they prefer men to women.
Get it right.
I guess a minority could be.

Not me though, I'm bi :biggrin:

More likely that a (small) minority of bisexuals assume that they are attracted to one or the other due to a phobia.
Probably an uncommon phobia anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Many homosexuals, or men who think they're homosexuals, may have gotten involved with other men purely for the reason they find vaginas repulsive.

But, where is the evidence that gay men are repulsed by vaginas and that lesbians are repulsed by penises?

And, even if they were, you still have a causation/correlation issue: where is the evidence that they are gay because they are repulsed by the sexual organs of the opposite sex?
Original post by angger
Pal, when you put it like that, you seem to think that homosexuals are settling for second best - because gay guys have phobia of vaginas, therefore they're settling for penises. Well, if you don't like broccoli, that doesn't give you any reason to like spinach. Gays are gays because they prefer men to women.
Get it right.

No its not at all.

Stop twisting my words.

If someone generally has a fear for something then they will not do it. I have a fear of heights and I would never do a skydive or anything of the kind.

Its quite possible that a phobia of vaginas/penises sets off confusion about sexuality which then makes those people explore other sexual options available.

No one is saying anything derogatory whatsoever.

Also, thinking about it, it could work the other way round.

A man may have a phobia of penises and assume he's straight. However he then has an encounter with a woman and then dislikes vaginas too. Therefore he is asexual. However, due to him being initially repulsed by penises he immediately assumed he was straight and would like vaginas, not considering he could be asexual, especially seeing as many people do not know of asexuality.
Original post by Ramel
But, where is the evidence that gay men are repulsed by vaginas and that lesbians are repulsed by penises?

And, even if they were, you still have a causation/correlation issue: where is the evidence that they are gay because they are repulsed by the sexual organs of the opposite sex?

Obviously there is no evidence. No one is suggesting for one moment that all homosexuals are homosexuals because of phobias.

I'm just saying a small minority may be due to confusion about their sexuality which a phobia triggered.

Basically, it could be a reason many men who have a phobia of vaginas experiment with men, and vice versa.
Original post by kopite493
im gona get neged for this but oh well

it could always be a mutation of the genes

You clearly have a misunderstanding of natural selection.

X

This entire thread is pointless, and you're further proving your own stupidity.

To help you with definitions, I've collated a rough guide below:

Homosexuality: Sexual attraction toward a member(s) of the same gender.
Asexuality: A lack of sexual attraction or desire of sex with either gender.

:facepalm: Some people are too stupid to be alive, honestly.
Original post by Musty_Elbow
You clearly have a misunderstanding of natural selection.

how so....

in its simplest form is it not that the best genes are being past on....

if so those genes can still mutate
Reply 17
No its not at all.

Stop twisting my words.

If someone generally has a fear for something then they will not do it. I have a fear of heights and I would never do a skydive or anything of the kind.

Its quite possible that a phobia of vaginas/penises sets off confusion about sexuality which then makes those people explore other sexual options available.

No one is saying anything derogatory whatsoever.

Also, thinking about it, it could work the other way round.

A man may have a phobia of penises and assume he's straight. However he then has an encounter with a woman and then dislikes vaginas too. Therefore he is asexual. However, due to him being initially repulsed by penises he immediately assumed he was straight and would like vaginas, not considering he could be asexual, especially seeing as many people do not know of asexuality.

I'm not twisting your words. I'm in pre-law so it might actually be in my nature :P
I'm going to an entirely new major and school though next fall. Pre-law sucks (at least in my country it does)

I honestly think that sexuality is not only about vaginas and penises though. There's more to it. There's physical attraction of course, chemical attraction, psychological attraction, and such. Sexuality is way too complicated than just penis or vagina. I mean some people actually like to cuddle and/or prefer to cuddle than to have an actual sex. Others just like the attention and affection of their lovers.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
This entire thread is pointless, and you're further proving your own stupidity.

To help you with definitions, I've collated a rough guide below:

Homosexuality: Sexual attraction toward a member(s) of the same gender.
Asexuality: A lack of sexual attraction or desire of sex with either gender.

:facepalm: Some people are too stupid to be alive, honestly.

I've already stated this but instead of actually reading properly you have gone on a rant.

I will state for the last time that a phobia of vaginas can cause confusion about sexuality and this then leads to a man thinking they are sexually attracted to men. Thus thinking they are homosexuals when in reality they could be, or they could simply be an asexual who are repulsed by vaginas and penises.

Homosexuality: That attraction could be brought on by a phobia of the genitalia of the opposite sex. It does not state what the attraction has to be and it could simply be caused, as pointed out, by confusion about sexuality

Asexuality: They may have a phobia of both men and womens genitalia. No where in the description, as in the description of homosexuality, does it state where the attraction has to come from so therefore it could stem from psychological confusion about sexuality within one owns mind.

Please read next time.
a phobia of vaginas can cause confusion about sexuality and this then leads to a man thinking they are sexually attracted to men. Thus thinking they are homosexuals

Evidence?

:facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest