The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Imperial is pretty much the most prestigious engineering university in Europe, on par with Cambridge, ETH Zurich and others. MIT and Caltech get more research done due to the absolutely massive budgets they get.

Imperial definitely pushes the students to the edge, and graduating from there most things are a piece of cake. Engineering salaries in the UK however are dire. They need to step it up, I'm definitely not staying to do an engineering job here. Firms in Australia and the US are calling with much better salaries and respect for Imperial graduates.
Reply 21
Original post by imperial/Oxbridge?
UCSD (university of california san diego) vs Imperial college london:
Accepted into both as an international for an engineering masters. How do the universities compare in terms of employment opportunities beyond graduation and international reputation? Clearly Imperial ranks higher on THES/QS rankings but ARWU places UCSD higher. Are the opportunities offered to top UK engineering grads on par or better than similar universities in the US? So is Imperial College London in general better than the likes of UCSD/ UCLA/USC and is it's reputation/opportunities available to masters students beyond graduation similar to universities such as Georgia tech, UIUC, Carnegie Mellon, University of Michigan or Cornell?

I know more about the US than UK, so forgive my ignorance when it comes to UK/Europe.

To be honest i don't know too much about universities but if i was in your shoes and i thought both university were pretty similar then i would go to America 100000000%

1. get to see a new country
2. American girls love English men
3. have you not seen any film based in a American university. e.g American pie, road trip etc etc
Original post by ppp

1. get to see a new country
2. American girls love English men
3. have you not seen any film based in a American university. e.g American pie, road trip etc etc

WTF ?
Reply 23
Original post by CookieGhoul
WTF ?

I'm stating the benefits of going to uni in America. i.e more women as they love an English accent, you get to see a new country and was referring to them films as they show a student lifestyle in American (not that it's all true)
Reply 24
My daughter has a B.S. in engineering, 2008, from Washington University in St. Louis. She has been employed as a mechanical engineer since then, and makes about $70,000/year. She started at about $62,000. (1.6 $ = 1 £)

Wash U is less prestigious in engineering than any of the schools you are considering, but that is not the only thing to keep in mind. (It is overall considered in the top 15 US universities, much more prestigious than Berkeley, Georgia Tech, or UCSD.) Here are the factors to consider. 1. What kind of engineering are you interested in? Different schools are noted for different kinds. UCSD is ranked 3rd in the US for biomedical engineering, my daughter's college major. 2. University in the US is not specialized like in the UK. As an undergrad, you have to take many general ed classes in addition to your major requirements. 3. Are you female or a minority? There is affirmative action, even if it is not called that, for all companies that get US federal funds. That will make it easier for you to get jobs.

Go to the website for US News and World Report, and look up their rankings of Graduate programs in engineering. That will tell you which US schools are highly regarded (top 10) in their various engineering specialties.

Electrical and computer engineers command higher salaries than mechanical engineers.

Hope this helps.
Reply 25
Original post by Lord_Farquad
GA Tech is HUGELY respected as an engineering school

I didnt say it wasnt respected, i said it wasnt as good as stanford.

several of their engineering programs are ranked #1 in the nation

No, one: 'Industrial' engineering...

and they are recruited by just about every firm you'd want to work for, including some BIG name hedge funds.

So are Bristol grads, doesn't make it uber amazing.
The facilities at top US unis tend to be far better than those as top UK unis
Original post by ktusa
My daughter has a B.S. in engineering, 2008, from Washington University in St. Louis. She has been employed as a mechanical engineer since then, and makes about $70,000/year. She started at about $62,000. (1.6 $ = 1 £)

Wash U is less prestigious in engineering than any of the schools you are considering, but that is not the only thing to keep in mind. (It is overall considered in the top 15 US universities, much more prestigious than Berkeley, Georgia Tech, or UCSD.) Here are the factors to consider. 1. What kind of engineering are you interested in? Different schools are noted for different kinds. UCSD is ranked 3rd in the US for biomedical engineering, my daughter's college major. 2. University in the US is not specialized like in the UK. As an undergrad, you have to take many general ed classes in addition to your major requirements. 3. Are you female or a minority? There is affirmative action, even if it is not called that, for all companies that get US federal funds. That will make it easier for you to get jobs.

Go to the website for US News and World Report, and look up their rankings of Graduate programs in engineering. That will tell you which US schools are highly regarded (top 10) in their various engineering specialties.

Electrical and computer engineers command higher salaries than mechanical engineers.

Hope this helps.

I hope you dont mind this, but I have seen that many US parents are more active on these student websites eg: Collegeconfidential, TSR, etc etc. compared to their children. Why is this so ?
For that I would pick Imperial.
Reply 29
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Imperial is pretty much the most prestigious engineering university in Europe, on par with Cambridge, ETH Zurich and others.

No, Imperial is ahead of ETH Zurich by quite some distance and for pure engineering, is better than Camrbridge. The latter ranks well on the THES 'Technology' rankings because most of their 'technology' is actually their computer science-related research, not engineering.
Reply 30
Caltech isn't as great as MIT-Stanford-Berkeley for engineering. Caltech is a powerhouse in the natural sciences. That's Caltech's fortes -- natural sciences, not engineering.

Between Imperial and UCSD, Id say both are great engineering schools, and it's hard to say one is better than the other. If you're seeking employment in the US, I'd say go for UCSD. If you're seeking employment in the UK or Europe, go for Imperial. Imperial is a great engineering school. But it does not have the same name recognition as UCSD in the US. Plus, there's visa restrictions and whatnot that you'll have to deal with. Having studied in a US school will make it easier for you to seek employment there and solve some visa issues as opposed to having graduated from a European school/university.
Reply 31
Not even a real debate about that one, Imperial definitely rates higher.
Reply 32
Imperial!!
Reply 33
Original post by No Future

Original post by No Future
The facilities at top US unis tend to be far better than those as top UK unis

Well, you also need to consider whether or not the university is public in the US. This is especially a huge factor for a school in CA because the state is pretty much bankrupt and cutting everything it can, mostly education.
Reply 34

Alright thank you, I knew I was definitely doing the right thing choosing imperial over ucsd for it's prestige/reputation. But ignorant and baseless comments made by Americans deterred me slightly.

Obviously imperial >> prestigious/reputable than UCSD but does this reputation carry forth to job prospects too (i'm sure in the research arena imperial>&gt:wink:? So do top uk engineering graduates have similar prospects available to them as their american counterparts? (so a berkeley/cmu/cornell grad vs an imperial grad)

How do the job prospects and salaries compare (in consulting, engineering work and maybe banking/finance) in UK/Europe vs US? Any anecdotal examples or links that demonstrate what imperial/top uk engineering graduates get up to, salary figures, hiring companies - info. along those lines would help me a bit too.

In summary, what's the return on investment like for top american vs top UK unis?

I don't know the comparisons, but just so you are made aware, the unemployment rate in the States is high, especially in CA. These days, people who greaduate from university (even great ivy league universities) can't find work and are usually in debt by that time anyways thanks to their school fees.

If you do want to experience life in the States, then I say you go to Imperial and do a year abroad in the States in an area you are interested in and then for grad school you can decide whether or not you want to go to the States. Be ready for things to be a ton more expensive though.
Top 10 Universities in the World 2011

* 1. Harvard
* 2. MIT
* 3. Stanford
* 4. UCLA Berkeley
* 5. Cambridge
* 6. California Institute of Technology
* 7. Princeton
* 8. Tokyo
* 9. Yale
* 10. Oxford

World's best universities ranked by 'reputation' (BBC Article Based on Times Higher Education 2011 Table)

Harvard University in the United States has been ranked as the university with the best "reputation" in the world.

The Times Higher Education magazine has listed 200 top universities based on how they are regarded by a panel of international academics. In fifth place, Cambridge is the top rated among UK universities. Overall, the reputation of the UK higher education sector has fallen drastically, with only four universities coming in the Top 20. The US 'Ivy League' group of universities still dominate.

In the wake of the LSE's embarrassment over links with Libya, reputation has been seen as a valuable but fragile commodity for universities. Sir Howard Davies, director of the London School of Economics, stepped down because he feared the institution's reputation had suffered from the associations with the Gaddafi regime.

Global league tables have spread across higher education - and have become important to marketing courses to the three million international students. But this latest table is different in that it measures how universities are regarded, rather than how they actually performed. A subjective, word-of-mouth quality such as "reputation" has genuine economic value for universities, said Simon Marginson, professor of higher education at the University of Melbourne in Australia. "Reputation is not an illusion, though it might be more vulnerable and fragile than performance by objective indicators," said Prof Marginson.

Based on the views of 13,000 academics around the world, it confirms the status of the big US universities, which dominate this league table. Seven of the top 10 are US universities, headed by Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Furthermore, 14 of the top 20 are from the US. Cambridge is the highest ranking UK university in the list, in third place, with Oxford ranked as sixth.

The LSE, in a table drawn up before its problems with Libya, is in 37th place.For students applying to university, reputation might be hard to quantify, but was an important part of the appeal, said the president of Cambridge University's students' union, Rahul Mansigani. "Reputation makes a huge difference. If there is a perception that somewhere is brilliant, it will get lots of good people applying whether it's true or not," he said. Factors such as a sense of history and the presence of leading academics were part of the reputation of Cambridge, he said. But with worries about university links with dubious regimes, he warned about the need to protect the "moral reputation" of a university. "They need to be very wary of who they deal with - with no compromise over academic freedom," he said.

Reputation is also a highly valued prize for universities such as MIT, ranked in second place - with particular importance for an institution's international reach. So much so that that they might have a bigger global reputation than in some places nearer home. "For a place like MIT, which is primarily about science and technology, reputation is critical," said Danielle Guichard-Ashbrook, director and associate dean of MIT's International Students Office. "We have a very good reputation in countries that value science and technological education. MIT really resonates in most Asian countries. "Whereas you could find a small rural town in the US, where they might not have ever heard of MIT - your average person in China who has had any education will know what it means."

Sally Hunt, head of the UCU lecturers' union in the UK, warned that reputation should not be relied upon as an alternative to financial investment. "We will soon get found out if we think we can trade on reputation alone," she said. Phil Baty, editor of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, said: "In an ever more competitive global market...a university's reputation for academic excellence is crucial. The UK university system shows signs of falling reputation further still, with Oxbridge already being overshadowed by the US and what it looking ever more likely, universities from the emerging world soon too."
(edited 13 years ago)
I chose to do masters in engineering at University of Edinburgh. Out of curiosity how would you rate it ?
I like US university education system, so I would go to UCSD..

Georgia tech > UCSD though...
Reply 38
you've got MIT > Caltech> GA Tech> Berkeley > Michigan > CMU everything else
This is correct.

Where I fit Imperial?

After Berkeley.

P.S Stanford is around as good as GA Tech.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by abbyalice
Well, you also need to consider whether or not the university is public in the US. This is especially a huge factor for a school in CA because the state is pretty much bankrupt and cutting everything it can, mostly education.

I'm talking about the top private universities

Latest

Trending

Trending