The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by andy_mcnally6
Yeah and my first on 19th May. So quite spread out but then in the last week I have 6 exams in 5 days. But I suppose no-one really likes exams no matter how they are served to us. I will take some when I am there. :smile:. What subjects are u doing apart from English Higher?

Haha, couldn't agree more..I wish someone would get me to 'like' exams so I would stop freaking out and being so pessimistic. Other than English, I take Economics and Psychology at HL...and standard I take Math, French and Biology. What about yourself?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2341
Original post by andy_mcnally6
Yeah and my first on 19th May. So quite spread out but then in the last week I have 6 exams in 5 days. But I suppose no-one really likes exams no matter how they are served to us. I will take some when I am there. :smile:. What subjects are u doing apart from English Higher?

I've got 15 exams in 15 days with the IB =/ not fun is it?
Original post by rhea45
Haha, couldn't agree more..I wish someone would get me to 'like' exams so I would stop freaking out and being so pessimistic. Other than English, I take Economics and Psychology at HL...and standard I take Math, French and Biology. What about yourself?

But I suppose if we're pessimistic then we will work harder and achieve more? Bit of philosophy there :tongue:. Well I just do normal A levels and I did German which I completed one year early, and now I do History, English, Law, Business Studies and General Studies which is compulsory in my school. :smile:
Reply 2343
hey any one applied for early childhood studies?? i swear its like the most unknown course ever haha
Reply 2344
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
I'm trying to transfer to Warwick to do Biological Sciences.. it's a long shot but may as well try.

I originally had an offer from them last year to do Psychology but I firmed Durham instead..

Just curious - Do you not like Durham or is it the course you don't like?
Original post by HughM2980

Original post by HughM2980
My grades are not good as yours.
AS : Economics (B)
Maths(A)
Physics(A)
A2 prediction :
Economics (B)
Maths(A*)
Further Maths(A)
Physics(A)
I chatted with international office, they said they have received my application back from WBS. I believe i will have offer as they dont need to send back to international office if i get rejected. Really want to get offer :smile:. Did you receive offer on Wednesday?

I think I'm in the same situation as u r. I'm an international and have the same grades as u do. Hope we could both get in. Finger cross...
Original post by Edessa
Just curious - Do you not like Durham or is it the course you don't like?

It's both.
It's Applied Psychology so is taught at Queen's Campus which is in Stockton, it's absolutely tiny with not much to do there. It suits some people but I just find that it's really boring sometimes, and I'm not enjoying the course
Reply 2347
It's both.
It's Applied Psychology so is taught at Queen's Campus which is in Stockton, it's absolutely tiny with not much to do there. It suits some people but I just find that it's really boring sometimes, and I'm not enjoying the course

Oh I see. I only asked because my sister is thinking of firming Durham - Queens campus too but she has a few worries about Stockton campus.
Original post by phoenixfay
I think I'm in the same situation as u r. I'm an international and have the same grades as u do. Hope we could both get in. Finger cross...

I think we will see decisions on Wednesday next week. They have too many applications which is about 1k6 last year. I believe we can make it :biggrin:
Original post by Edessa
Oh I see. I only asked because my sister is thinking of firming Durham - Queens campus too but she has a few worries about Stockton campus.

Oh dear, I hope I haven't put her off.
My friends enjoy it :P It just isn't for me
Reply 2350
Oh dear, I hope I haven't put her off.
My friends enjoy it :P It just isn't for me

No, not at all. Could I ask were you happy with the standard of teaching and support etc?
Can any current warwick students tell me how much they spend in a year? Student finance tells me I will be getting £6403 a year and the warwick busary is apparently £1500 So I'll have just under £8000. Is this enough? Will I most likely need to find part time work?
Original post by Edessa
No, not at all. Could I ask were you happy with the standard of teaching and support etc?

Yeah the teaching and such was fine, I just didn't enjoy the course content. I thought I would but obviously it wasn't right for me..
Reply 2353
Yeah the teaching and such was fine, I just didn't enjoy the course content. I thought I would but obviously it wasn't right for me..

Ok Thanks for your help.
Reply 2354
Original post by Fat-Love
Can any current warwick students tell me how much they spend in a year? Student finance tells me I will be getting £6403 a year and the warwick busary is apparently £1500 So I'll have just under £8000. Is this enough? Will I most likely need to find part time work?

Id have thought that would be enough if you are sensible with your money, it also depends what accommodation you decide to live in as the more expensive ones will take a large chunk out of that. Regardless Id advise getting a part time job anyway as employers like people who do that, as it shows many other skills you have especially time management
I still haven't heard back from Warwick, and I applied before the Cambridge deadline. They have however written me an e-mail stating:

"We are contacting you to update you on the progress of your application to study at the University of Warwick.

If you have not yet received a decision we would like to reassure you that your application is still under consideration. All applications received before the 15 January UCAS deadline are being assessed on equal terms with others where decisions have already been finalised. We understand that you are anxious to get a response, but we take great care to ensure that our decisions are fair and consistent and that means that we are not able to finalise all decisions by the end of March.

We would like to thank you for your patience and will be finalising our decision at the earliest opportunity. Don’t forget that you can track your application online using UCAS Track at www.ucas.com. "

Anyone else still waiting?
Reply 2356
Original post by synvilla
I still haven't heard back from Warwick, and I applied before the Cambridge deadline. They have however written me an e-mail stating:

"We are contacting you to update you on the progress of your application to study at the University of Warwick.

If you have not yet received a decision we would like to reassure you that your application is still under consideration. All applications received before the 15 January UCAS deadline are being assessed on equal terms with others where decisions have already been finalised. We understand that you are anxious to get a response, but we take great care to ensure that our decisions are fair and consistent and that means that we are not able to finalise all decisions by the end of March.

We would like to thank you for your patience and will be finalising our decision at the earliest opportunity. Don’t forget that you can track your application online using UCAS Track at www.ucas.com. "

My friend got a similar message; she's still waiting to hear if she's gotten into their Psychology programme. It's really weird because her (official, she took exams last November) grade is 40 points in IB (I believe the equivalent of AAA is 38). You'd think she'd be a shoo in for the course since they generally ask for 36 points (AAB).
Original post by Fat-Love

Let's see:
Accommodation: The prices vary between £2280 and £5655 for the year for first year undergraduates. A fair average is about £3500. And that covers gas/electricity/water and also gives you insurance for stuff in your room. Check out The Warwick Accommodation Thread for more info, including the guide on the front page.

Let's say that leaves you with £4500 for the rest of the year. If you set aside £1500 for books/cooking stuff/laptops at the start of the year, you are left with £3000 for the rest of the year, which is more than enough. Food should definitely cost less than £25/week, but you can get by with £10-15 if you really want. The average is about £15-20/week. Going out will probably cost you the most, if you want it to, but it is up to you how you approach it. The more you go out (particularly to Leam) the more expensive it can become - I've spend £30+ in Leam in one night (including a meal beforehand) but if it goes horrifically wrong and you lose everyone, a taxi back to campus burns a nice £20 hole in your wallet (obviously if you share in a group it will be £4-5 each).

One off expenses at the start of term: around £55 for the Freshers Fortnight pass (access to the first two weeks of SU events), £45 for Warwick sport, another £93 for the Gym, or £36 for the weights room for £57 for the climbing wall. Prices may (and probably will) go up slightly for next year though. Additionally, you can join societies for about £5 each, after you pay £10/year to join the societies federation, which allows you to join all societies.

Other expenses that may occur during the year: Trips: sports clubs to tours around the UK/abroad - these might cost a few hundred pounds each, depending for how long and where you are heading off to. Clothes: yeah, you could budget for that if you like as well. But you don't need to go on tours if you don't want to.

In summary, I didn't spend £1000 a term on things outside of accommodation or tuition fees, probably more like £750 in the first 2 terms, and I went out quite a lot. Additionally, around term 3 people revise more and go out less, at least until after exams, so you spend less over that period. I know people who get by spending £500 a term, so living on a tighter (but not restricted) budget is possible.

But remember, what you get it isn't all free money - you have about £3500 of loans that you have to pay back sometime (albeit once you earn over £15k), and remember things may happen down the line that may cost more, so always be wary of that. You also can get a good overdraft though, for example with Natwest you get £1000 overdraft + their free 16-25 railcard. So that could be a good backup.

Finally, living off campus in second year is more expensive, I believe. You have to add a £250 bus pass (if you are in Leam/Cov), pay for gas and electricity and pay deposits and administration fees (no admin fees/deposits with Warwick Accommodation though). Next year I'm going private but have already spent £1050 on the house in deposits, rent and admin fees, so keep that in mind. But this year I'm paying £2800 for the house - which isn't bad. Don't forget with off campus you are getting 10-11 month lets so that adds to the cost. If you get a cheaper accommodation (less than £3500) you won't need to be looking to save that much money to cover the fees (I'm an extreme case since the place I'm living in next year is £300/month - quite expensive and I've had to pay 2 months rent as my deposit instead of 1). These fees won't need to be paid until April/May, but keep them in mind if you decide to go with a private agent instead of Warwick accommodation. I'd say keep your overdraft as clear as possible for when the time comes :smile:

If you do need a job, the SU and unitemps will be a good site to keep an eye on :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by synvilla

Same here, I applied before the Oxbridge deadline and still haven't got a response, and I also received this wonderfully vague email. I love how they helpfully remind us that we can 'track our application online using UCAS Track' lol.
Hey!

Has anyone received anything for EPAIS excluding the "application is still under consideration" email? :smile: Still waiting here!

Quick Reply

Latest