The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Angie varona
Nothing wrong with it.

Clear sign at the growing influence that muslims are having in britain.

50 years ago nothing wouldve been done about it.

Sad times.

Reply 141

standard ignorant BNP member, they never appear in a 'positive' note, do they?
Original post by B-Man.

Its not funny.

Im very concerned (srs)
Reply 143
Original post by Angie varona
Its not funny.

Im very concerned (srs)

fine, why are you so concerned?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by MikeeyMon
Causing offence is something I am very much against with, and with his actions he has obviously done that which is out of order. It would be interesting to see what they charge him/arrest him for and the punishment.

I presume they would charge him with having broken this law:

Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006: Section 29B: (1) A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred.
Reply 145
Original post by MikeeyMon
True, but I wonder what the punishment would be. A £50 fine? or something else?

I think he'll be released without any punishment. But if any is given it will be a fine.
Reply 146
Original post by B-Man.

tuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

:yy:
Original post by GwrxVurfer
I don't understand why some people make certain choices, but I accept that they have a right to make them.

Remember that you aren't the one who gets to define what "offend" means. So for your sake, you better hope that your idea of "offensive" never disagrees with the regime's idea of "offensive", otherwise you'll find yourself in hot water.

well burning somebody elses holy book, going up to them on the street and shouting racial slur at somebody... all blatantly offensive
Original post by Ramel
That would mean we would have to ban the practice of Islam, which has little respect for other cultures, religions and traditions.

**some peoples take** on islam. you quite blatantly know nothing about the religion
Original post by mina-z
Yes it does.. It all comes down to freedom of speech. Based on what you are saying people had the right to jail Galileo for saying that the Earth is not flat.. Surely I can always argue that Galileo was offending the religious and cultural beliefs of the people from that particular era. To them it was just like burning the Quran. Now why is the act of punishing Galileo any more ignorant than punishing someone for burning the Quran?
Burning the Quran is stupid. Causing hatred amongst people is an effective approach to humiliate an ethnic or religious minority. But in order to avoid incidents like these from happening you certainly shouldn't take their right to freely express their beliefs. You can educate people instead so that there would be fewer ignorant Quran burning idiots and also fewer reactive defensive victims.

in your galileo argument he's simply offering a different viewpoint. just like the bible, torah, guru granth sahib, koran etc etc offer different viewpoints on religion. i doubt anyone would find reading another religions holy book offensive.

tonnes of offensive things have been outlawed. sex in public spaces for one thing. don't think i could argue thats protected by my right to free speech.
Oh wow, really?!!?

What about all those muslims that burn British flags.. In Britain?!?

That is just as offensive towards us.

This society cares more about being pc than actually punishing crimes.

Disgusting.
Reply 151
Lol even if he has freedom of speech why would he endanger himself?

Oh and I forgot to say there is a freedom of speech, but there is no freedom to act. It's not as if we can walk around naked can we?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
Eugh. And yet we do nothing when groups of radical Muslims burn Poppies, or Uk and US flags?

Alright, there were a few small fines for the Poppy Burners, but nothing like what there should have been.

I think it's utterly disgusting that he may face criminal charges for this. Our judicial system is so duplicite it's a wonder it functions sometimes.

Agree, how anyone can be arrested for basic freedom of expression (however wrong/controversial/provocative his stance is) is beyond me
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Oh wow, really?!!?

What about all those muslims that burn British flags.. In Britain?!?

That is just as offensive towards us.

This society cares more about being pc than actually punishing crimes.

Disgusting.

But is it a crime? The Burning of the Qu'ran and The Burning of the British Flag should be perfectly reasonable courses of actions to take in regards to one's own personal property.

We should have had a revolution back in the 19th Century, guillotine a few d00ds and Hanoverians left right and centre and have a Universal Declaration of Human Rights and a Constitution.
Reply 154
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
in your galileo argument he's simply offering a different viewpoint. just like the bible, torah, guru granth sahib, koran etc etc offer different viewpoints on religion. i doubt anyone would find reading another religions holy book offensive.

tonnes of offensive things have been outlawed. sex in public spaces for one thing. don't think i could argue thats protected by my right to free speech.

What do you mean simply a 'view point'.. If I hate the Bible (which I don't btw) expressing my 'view point' would be 'screw jesus!' . How can you not see this? Me saying that I hate the bible etc is just as controversial as Galileo expressing his views to the devout religious people of that era. To us someone giving a new scientific theory is obviously not offensive anymore but it was hundreds of years ago. It was very 'offensive' hence why the punishment.
Also sex in public is an action, you can't say oh free speech therefore free sex in public too.
Original post by sixthformer
We should respect all religious scriptures, because we should respect each others beliefs

Remember, the most enslaven person is one who hopelessly believes he is free. In the name of "freedom" we drink alcohol, get drunk, murder, take drugs, smoke, violate women, and think this is "freedom" no, it is the biggest kind of slavery.

Not being funny, but how can you preach tolerance and command respect towards beliefs concerning religion yet show intolerance and disrespect towards beliefs concerning drinking, smoking, and taking drugs?

If you don't agree with drinking/smoking/drugs then fine, don't take them, but don't be a hypocrite and say that we should all respect each others beliefs and then go on to disrespect and almost insult those who drink, smoke, and take drugs by saying that we're slaves to those actions.

It's my belief that there is nothing wrong with any of those past times.
He burned a book. No need to overreact. Some people need to get a grip.
Reply 157
The only reason the idiot burnt the Qur'an is because he knew he would get a reaction. Hey Presto! He's got one!

They're all as petty as each other. It's like a religious version of my dad is better then your dad...only with books.
It is his property, and if he wants to burn it, on his property, then he should be allowed. If he videoed it with the intent to use it in a negative manner, as part of a hate campaign etc then this is a different matter but the act of burning a book should not be criminalised. If I want to walk outside and burn my copy of the bible, or my translation of the Qur'an then I will.

It is the intent and not the action that should be key, and if he filmed himself doing it then the intention can be seen to be to cause offence.
Original post by Selkarn
"A statement from the Home Office said: "The government absolutely condemns the burning of the Qur'an. It is fundamentally offensive to the values of our pluralist and tolerant society."

Not that I agree with what he did, but they clearly have no time to tolerate his freedom to burn the Qur'an. Dirty racist hypocrites - I'm sure if an Asian fellow burnt a Bible there would be no such repercussion.

Inciting racial hatred and prejudice is against the law foool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending