The Student Room Group

Can't straighten my knee after being tackled in Football

Had a match with friends yesterday and we both got the ball at the same time and our legs kind of collided and it hurt lol and was a bit sore after that. A few hours later I noticed I couldn't straighten out my leg fully, if I had to walk, I had to bend my knee slightly. It's really painful if I try and straighten my leg out and I think it's the knee what's causing it. Any ideas to what I could have done to it? It doesn't seem like an injury to require surgery, but before seeing an ortho, what would you say it may be or could try as treatment.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Have you seen a doctor at all?
Original post by FrozenBeak

Had a match with friends yesterday and we both got the ball at the same time and our legs kind of collided and it hurt lol and was a bit sore after that. A few hours later I noticed I couldn't straighten out my leg fully, if I had to walk, I had to bend my knee slightly. It's really painful if I try and straighten my leg out and I think it's the knee what's causing it. Any ideas to what I could have done to it? It doesn't seem like an injury to require surgery, but before seeing an ortho, what would you say it may be or could try as treatment.

Thanks!

Go to the hospital asap!

You will need this :biggrin:
Reply 3
I haven't been to the doctor yet since I wanted to see what answers I'd get from this community first i.e. sometimes doctors can't tell what the problem is whereas sometimes you guys/girls can.

I was thinking I'd need one of those, but what shall I try and avoid doing? If I get one, can I still play football etc and walk around? Will I be able to straighten my leg with it? etc?

Thanks
Reply 4
That leg needs to come off.
If you go to the hospital you'll likely be waiting around for a few hours before they tell you the standard Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation stuff and then tell you to see your GP.
Reply 6
Don't be stupid please. I need serious answers for this.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by iainthegreat
If you go to the hospital you'll likely be waiting around for a few hours before they tell you the standard Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation stuff and then tell you to see your GP.

Yeah most likely. I know that the method reduces swelling, but I have no idea where I've actually done to it. Do you think that if I rest it (but occasionally walk) then it will mend itself in a matter of a few days?

Thanks!

I've had many knee injuries. Best thing to do is (if its swollen);

R REST
I ICE
C COMPRESSION
E ELEVATION

Also go see your Dr. they'll do some pivot test and stuff to see whats exactly up. Can be that you just require physio, or maybe something else. Im having surgery this June from a footy injury on my left knee, didnt want it; but I really enjoy playing footy so im just going to have to go for it. Its not as big of a deal as people think.
Reply 9
Do they have to put you to sleep? xD

Don't be stupid please. I need serious answers for this.

Thanks

GO TO A HOSPITAL!
Don't sit here and type go and get aid!
Reply 11
Original post by blueray
GO TO A HOSPITAL!
Don't sit here and type go and get aid!

Why do people always say this? If this was a bad idea, why do you think TSR would have a Health board? Makes sense to ask questions like this, no?
Needs a qualified doctor to look at it, and soon. Without seeing it, there's a million and one things that could be wrong - plain swelling, ACL tears/ rupture, avulsion fractures, meniscal tears... there's a lot of stuff in the knee that can go wrong. And the majority of the things I mentioned will need either intensive physio or surgery.
Reply 13
It says online that if you rest it, it will go in a matter of 4 days..is this right?
Reply 14
I had the same problem as you only I couldn't bend my knee and my doctor described my injury as:"unknown knee muscle injury." So not very helpful haha. Put some ice on it, and you'll probably need to rest for at least a month (at least that was the case for me). & put a bandage on.
Reply 15
Finally! someone with the same problem lol. Well I can bend it slightly to walk on it, but I can't straighten it fully without it being painful lol. It just goes to justify to everyone who says "go and see a doctor and not come on this forum" that it may be the wrong choice to. Like I said above, you can get answers here which the doctor cannot give you!
Reply 16
Thanks for your advice so far i.e. doctor, r.i.c.e and the resting of it. If any of you have any more input in to this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 17
Yh this happened to me in a football match as well, I had to go to the hospital straight away, turned out I had Osgood Schlatter disease, was extremely painful at the time.

Why do people always say this? If this was a bad idea, why do you think TSR would have a Health board? Makes sense to ask questions like this, no?

It has a health board for less serious inquires or ones that have been dealt with by doctors first :facepalm:
Finally! someone with the same problem lol. Well I can bend it slightly to walk on it, but I can't straighten it fully without it being painful lol. It just goes to justify to everyone who says "go and see a doctor and not come on this forum" that it may be the wrong choice to. Like I said above, you can get answers here which the doctor cannot give you!

Aye, the doctor can't give you them cos you refuse to go and see one. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest