The Student Room Group

Virgin or non virgin, what do you want in a relationship.

Scroll to see replies

My boyfriend and I were both virgins so at the age we got together (15) I would have preferred that he was a virgin, but if we were both 18 or something when we got together I don't think I would have much of a preference.
Reply 41
I'm planning on staying a virgin 'til Marriage (having said that, I don't mean I'm not willing to do other things :wink: within reason of course). My boyfriend has had 2-3 real relationships before, so it's perfect at the moment. He doesn't pressure me but is also experienced enough to be confident in what he wants.
why some of the misconception are that virgins will be slower in bed and non virgins easier:k: some of us are really quick learners and as one or two have said we all got to start of somewhere.
Reply 43
If other more important factors are present in the relationship, then mine or their past sexual history is not even a concern.
Original post by DeepStar
If other more important factors are present in the relationship, then mine or their past sexual history is not even a concern.

Past sexual history isn't of concern? I wouldn't want a girl whos been around the houses a few times, but i suppose each to their own.
Reply 45
Original post by searchingshadow
Past sexual history isn't of concern? I wouldn't want a girl whos been around the houses a few times, but i suppose each to their own.

Unless you are a pure angel, I don't think many people can point fingers at others for their past experiences. It is how we learn, how we differentiate and find ourselves.
Even a saint has a past their not proud to tell then why should anyone be judged by their past. Everyone makes mistakes or has phases of being someone completely unlike them but yeh their past isn't a concern for me. If I am their present then it is their future that I want to be a part of and that would be my concern.
Does it really matter all that much? :eyebrow:
Unless you are a pure angel, I don't think many people can point fingers at others for their past experiences. It is how we learn, how we differentiate and find ourselves.
Even a saint has a past their not proud to tell then why should anyone be judged by their past. Everyone makes mistakes or has phases of being someone completely unlike them but yeh their past isn't a concern for me. If I am their present then it is their future that I want to be a part of and that would be my concern.

I suprisingly agree with what you said now, we all have our 'not so good' phases; but as long as it is a phase its understandable. But, if you think its 'normal' thats where the problem is.:smile:
Yes it does matter, studies have shown that a woman'ssexual history is a big predictor of marital and relationship discord.

If you are married to a virgin you are roughly 80-85per cent likely to stay married.

This decreases RAPIDLY to about 50 per cent once you add 2-3 previous partners to the equation

to below 25 per cent when you factor in 15+ previous sexual partners
Original post by the realist
Yes it does matter, studies have shown that a woman'ssexual history is a big predictor of marital and relationship discord.

If you are married to a virgin you are roughly 80-85per cent likely to stay married.

This decreases RAPIDLY to about 50 per cent once you add 2-3 previous partners to the equation

I very much doubt that the womans sexual history is the largest predictor of marital and relationship discord. Obviously there are a number of other factors which means that couples will or won't stay together - i'm almost certain that for most mature adults who are in the marriage stage, sexual history does not even come into the equation.

Also, why women's sexual history? Does her partners sexual history not matter at all?
Reply 50
Original post by searchingshadow
I suprisingly agree with what you said now, we all have our 'not so good' phases; but as long as it is a phase its understandable. But, if you think its 'normal' thats where the problem is.:smile:

I think its normal for everyone to have a past different to mine or yours. I think its normal that people go through phases, situations and make decisions they are not proud of because life does not come with instructions so we have to learn from our experiences. I would never judge someone based on their past sexual history though because it is what made them in to the person they are today and if I love them today then any change to their past could have change who they are now and I wouldn't want that.
I don't think its normal as such, for everyone to have a twists and turns in their sexual experiences, I just think that everyone is different so each to their own.
Original post by olivia_w92
I very much doubt that the womans sexual history is the largest predictor of marital and relationship discord. Obviously there are a number of other factors which means that couples will or won't stay together - i'm almost certain that for most mature adults who are in the marriage stage, sexual history does not even come into the equation.

Also, why women's sexual history? Does her partners sexual history not matter at all?

It does matter actually you are right but exponentially less, it's pretty obvious that the nature of the male sex drive, as well as what they stand to lose in divorce curbs their instinct to dissolve a marriage.

I'm sorry but the studies have been done. This is something that guys know instinctively anyway, and the people who deny or try to contradict it are usually those with a vested interested....in getting away with being a slut!!
Reply 52
It does matter actually you are right but exponentially less, it's pretty obvious that the nature of the male sex drive, as well as what they stand to lose in divorce curbs their instinct to dissolve a marriage.

I'm sorry but the studies have been done. This is something that guys know instinctively anyway, and the people who deny or try to contradict it are usually those with a vested interested....in getting away with being a slut!!

How very sexist. For one, it's a myth that a male has a higher sex drive than a female. Two, we're not all money-grabbing gold diggers.

If anyone's opinion of me rests solely on whether or not I'm a virgin, they're not worth my time.
Reply 53
I think its normal for everyone to have a past different to mine or yours. I think its normal that people go through phases, situations and make decisions they are not proud of because life does not come with instructions so we have to learn from our experiences. I would never judge someone based on their past sexual history though because it is what made them in to the person they are today and if I love them today then any change to their past could have change who they are now and I wouldn't want that.
I don't think its normal as such, for everyone to have a twists and turns in their sexual experiences, I just think that everyone is different so each to their own.

+1 when I have rep.

I agree with everything you've said. :yes:
Reply 54

Correlational studies show a mere cause and effect relationship but never confirm any factors behind the cause i.e. what other factors could be influencing a couple's decision to stay in a marriage or divorce other than their sexual history. Such studies always have methodological criticisms and their findings should always be viewed with caution, not taken at face value.
Reply 55
Original post by .Ali.
+1 when I have rep.

I agree with everything you've said. :yes:

Thank you :wink:

So guys instinctively know that a girl has slept with x amount of people and would stay away from her because their chances of staying married is 'below 25%' or whatever. I call B/S.

The only people who place enormous importance on how many people their partner has slept with (within reason) are probably insecure and think that throwing the word 'slut' around makes them more righteous and comfortable in themselves.
Original post by .Ali.
How very sexist. For one, it's a myth that a male has a higher sex drive than a female. Two, we're not all money-grabbing gold diggers.

If anyone's opinion of me rests solely on whether or not I'm a virgin, they're not worth my time.

i didn't comment on the size of the sex drives, simply that they are different.

It depends on the context of the opinion, i'd be your friend, respect your opinions/knowledge, spend time with you. Just not marry you. Well actually i would consider it if we earnt similar money and was willing to sign certain custodial agreements.

I simply alert men to the fact that TRADITIONAL marriage is dead and that a woman with less money, who wants to be a housewife etc is a very bad bet for marriage and cohabiting arrangements due to the current legal landscape, especially if she has had pre-marital sex.
I prefer cuddles. :biggrin:
Correlational studies show a mere cause and effect relationship but never confirm any factors behind the cause i.e. what other factors could be influencing a couple's decision to stay in a marriage or divorce other than their sexual history. Such studies always have methodological criticisms and their findings should always be viewed with caution, not taken at face value.

lol ok. But you don't propose any other possible reasons for the correlation. Even if the cause is not technically partner count, clearly a high partner count is correlated with divorce, or at the very least it is correlated highly with whatever is REALLY causing all these divorces which is good enough.....however you don't propose any other reasons......

Bad driving causes accidents, accidents are correlated to bad driving, being drunk is correlated with bad driving.....and thus being drunk and accidents are correlated!!! simples

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending