The Student Room Group

Friend irritating me senseless!!

Since leaving uni, my friend has been really clingy and attention seeking. She doesn't have a job or anything, and she's not trying very hard to get one. I am still at uni and I don't have time to talk to her every day because I have so much work to do and I just really need her to back off a little bit. I have tried asking her to give me a little bit of space but she won't and she makes me feel guilty about having to do work. Last year she was in the same situation as me and she cancelled meeting up 3 times in a row because she was busy, should I remind her of that? It's just all getting too much and it's like having a really clingy girlfriend!!!
Reply 1
Dont answer her calls/texts
Reply 2
Original post by Lexi99
Dont answer her calls/texts

That's really rude though. I don't want to hurt her feelings!
Reply 3
If she asks why just say you were busy with work, which is true, you are.

Other than that, the only option is to tell her, or maybe set aside once/twice a week in advance to meet up
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
'lose' your phone charger for a few days.
Reply 5
Original post by Lexi99
If she asks why just say you were busy with work, which is true, you are.

Other than that, the only option is to tell her, or maybe set aside once/twice a week in advance to meet up

She lives about 2 hours away from me now, and she's not confident at using public transport so I have to go to her in her home town or meet somewhere in the middle, so it's not easy or cheap to meet. When she calls me, she keeps me on the phone for ages, and although I enjoy talking to her, I can't give up a whole evening just so I can talk to her.
Reply 6
Tell her she's a clingy, irritating, needy wasteman who needs to get a life.

Failing that, explain to her that while you value the friendship, it's important that you concentrate on your work and sometimes that means you can't be in contact with her at all times.
Reply 7
She keeps texting me to wish me a nice week next week. It really is like having a clingy girlfriend :frown: I don't want to be harsh and to ignore her, and I don't want to be rude and tell her to go away. Is there anything I can do to make her back off?

NB, if I tell her I'm busy, she texts me to tell me that she knows I'll do well and to relax and not stress out...
kill her :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
She keeps texting me to wish me a nice week next week. It really is like having a clingy girlfriend :frown: I don't want to be harsh and to ignore her, and I don't want to be rude and tell her to go away. Is there anything I can do to make her back off?

NB, if I tell her I'm busy, she texts me to tell me that she knows I'll do well and to relax and not stress out...

If you really don't have the courage to tell her to leave you alone for a while then you're stuffed.

There really is no other way to solve the problem to be honest.

As Lexi99 said, tell her you're busy with work.

No point starting this topic if you're not considering to take our advice.
Reply 10
Just be honest with her (in the nicest way possible) that you're busy, and add in that it's costing you. You have to tell her or she won't leave you alone. Seeing as she is still your friend, suggest times that are convenient for you to meet up with her - that way you can still see her just not too often.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending