The Student Room Group

Libya, another Iraq another lie

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CODKING
...well we did invent concentration camps. Makes you proud doesn't it?

Who the hell negged you?

The Spanish actually beat us to that particular honour:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0013545.html

Nevertheless, it is an irrelevant point to this discussion. EVERY nation on earth has a dark side to its history. Just because you can point to a past atrocity does not mean that the present government or people of a nation can not cast their judgement, or indeed make a stand, against a paranoiac dictator who has turned heavy artillery against his own people.

No one is asking you to be 'proud' of your nation's history. In fact, national pride is all a bit passe. But in the same way, wallowing in national self hatred, and lacking the self confidence to recognise blatant injustice is equally corrupting.
Reply 301
Its probably right to help because the poeple themselves are ready to rebel. But the problem comes when the counrty must rebuild itseld and how the west imposes itself which will probably be negative due to the selfish motives of oil and to have not necessarily a libyan people wanted governmnent but a western and possibly UN approved government bringing definate stability even if it means sacrificing the needs and rights of the libyan poeople because remember the west does support alot of middle eatern dictators.
Original post by zohaib93
yes it does, it devalues infact it totally invalidates it becuase the intention is not to save lives but is to secure strategic interests, saving lives is a seocndary objective.

As far as I can see, the Lybia situation is lose/lose for NATO.

If we hadn't done anything we were most likely going to be faced with another Rwanda - a conflict that still haunts the international community with guilt.

However, the intervention in it's present form was always going to be prone to end in awkward stalemate. Already the rebels are complaining that we are not doing ENOUGH. Soon they may turn even more hostile towards us. If the rebels are crushed we will not only be left with a Qaddafi regime in Tripoli, but will also forever be remembered by East Lybians as duplicitous, or as having outright abandoned them.

What's more there are rumours that Al Qaeda have already infiltrated the rebel forces - so who exactly ARE we helping?

The whole thing is a complete **** up, and the British and the Americans were and are always going to be hated in this region, no matter what they do.

We have an array of corrupt and violent regimes in the Arab world who in this Spring of uprisings have already killed thousands of their own people for no more reason other than to keep their fat, grubby little thieving hands on their thrones of power. That the greatest vitriol from the "Zohaibs" of the world is directed at the West (how we are 'murdering' Arabs when we are attempting to avert a massacre) is a clear illustration of how the Arab world and the West will not be seeing things eye to eye for a long time to come.
Original post by agp
Its probably right to help because the poeple themselves are ready to rebel. But the problem comes when the counrty must rebuild itseld and how the west imposes itself which will probably be negative due to the selfish motives of oil and to have not necessarily a libyan people wanted governmnent but a western and possibly UN approved government bringing definate stability even if it means sacrificing the needs and rights of the libyan poeople because remember the west does support alot of middle eatern dictators.

You seem to neglect to mention that countries such as Lybia DEPEND on exporting oil to survive. Without oil they the region would be a third world backwater. It is in their INTEREST to export oil to the West.

But like I said before, the oil companies would be doing much better business in Qaddafi's Lybia than they will be doing in a country wracked by unrest. How the **** are they supposed to work in the midst of a civil war. It would have been in the WEST's interest to retain the status quo. Saif Qaddafi, the heir apparent, is an LSE alumni who chills out chasing skirt with his playboy chums in London. What better prospects for British business could there have been? But INSTEAD, we attempt to do the 'right' thing to avert a massacre, and we get villified for it.
or so the british say, just like iraqs wmd

The difference between those fighting against the Lybian regime and the IRA is obvious to most rational people who have a modicum of knowledge of world affairs. However, as you are neither rational nor, it seems, particulalry well informed, I will spell out the single key difference.

The Lybian regime has no legitimacy. It has not been elected by it's people.

Personally, I am rather ambivalent to the NI issue, if they voted to secede from the union, I would wish them all the best. However, the IRA turned to violence after they FAILED to win the democratic battle.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html

This 2009 survey shows that the majority of NI citizens still support being part of the UK (this breaks down as 91% of Protestants and 40 % of Catholics).

Therefore, in Lybia you have Lybian citizens fighting against an illegitimate government (which of course uses FAR more brutality than the British government would ever DREAM of using in NI).

And in NI, you have a discredited band of militants carrying out bombings against predominantly civilian targets, designed to destabilise a democratically elected government.

I hope this helps.
Reply 305
Original post by teadrinker
As far as I can see, the Lybia situation is lose/lose for NATO.

If we hadn't done anything we were most likely going to be faced with another Rwanda - a conflict that still haunts the international community with guilt.

However, the intervention in it's present form was always going to be prone to end in awkward stalemate. Already the rebels are complaining that we are not doing ENOUGH. Soon they may turn even more hostile towards us. If the rebels are crushed we will not only be left with a Qaddafi regime in Tripoli, but will also forever be remembered by East Lybians as duplicitous, or as having outright abandoned them.

What's more there are rumours that Al Qaeda have already infiltrated the rebel forces - so who exactly ARE we helping?

The whole thing is a complete **** up, and the British and the Americans were and are always going to be hated in this region, no matter what they do.

We have an array of corrupt and violent regimes in the Arab world who in this Spring of uprisings have already killed thousands of their own people for no more reason other than to keep their fat, grubby little thieving hands on their thrones of power. That the greatest vitriol from the "Zohaibs" of the world is directed at the West (how we are 'murdering' Arabs when we are attempting to avert a massacre) is a clear illustration of how the Arab world and the West will not be seeing things eye to eye for a long time to come.

the rebels are TERRORISTS, just like AMERICA AIDED THE TALIBAN IN THE 90s they are no willing to do the same to the TERRORIST REBELS OF LIBYA, and then the americans will come back to OCCUPY LIBYA once the REBEL TERRORISTS **** america right over, another iraq? another afghanistan more like.

how much oil does america want?, just ask gaddafi, im sure he will give you enough to set yourself on fire and rid the earth of you burden and your obsession with the occupation of foreign countries
Reply 306
The difference between those fighting against the Lybian regime and the IRA is obvious to most rational people who have a modicum of knowledge of world affairs. However, as you are neither rational nor, it seems, particulalry well informed, I will spell out the single key difference.

The Lybian regime has no legitimacy. It has not been elected by it's people.

Personally, I am rather ambivalent to the NI issue, if they voted to secede from the union, I would wish them all the best. However, the IRA turned to violence after they FAILED to win the democratic battle.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2009/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html

This 2009 survey shows that the majority of NI citizens still support being part of the UK (this breaks down as 91% of Protestants and 40 % of Catholics).

Therefore, in Lybia you have Lybian citizens fighting against an illegitimate government (which of course uses FAR more brutality than the British government would ever DREAM of using in NI).

And in NI, you have a discredited band of militants carrying out bombings against predominantly civilian targets, designed to destabilise a democratically elected government.

I hope this helps.

how is britain and who is america and who teh heck are you to make it a 'FACT' that teh libyan goverment is illegitimate, apart from a few eastern rebel terrorists in benghazi teh rest fo libya support the libyan governments, so it is legitimate. the libyan government told westren oil companies to pay up properly for libyan oil or do one, and thats one thing you do not like, your cheap oil days were over, and that why teh west interfered in libya so that they could have a puppet government just like in iraq who will sell you cheap oil.
Reply 307
the rebels are TERRORISTS, just like AMERICA AIDED THE TALIBAN IN THE 90s they are no willing to do the same to the TERRORIST REBELS OF LIBYA, and then the americans will come back to OCCUPY LIBYA once the REBEL TERRORISTS **** america right over, another iraq? another afghanistan more like.

how much oil does america want?, just ask gaddafi, im sure he will give you enough to set yourself on fire and rid the earth of you burden and your obsession with the occupation of foreign countries

Look up where America gets its oil.

heres a clue its not from Libya. Many Americans were annoyed at this intervention because they have no strategic interests in Libya.

America hs the worlds 2nd largest oil reserves on its doorstep. Frankly they are far more likely to occupy Canada than Libya.

Firstly, your descent into incoherence is amusing.

the libyan government told westren oil companies to pay up properly for libyan oil or do one, and thats one thing you do not like, your cheap oil days were over, and that why teh west interfered in libya so that they could have a puppet government just like in iraq who will sell you cheap oil.

The West knows the days of cheap oil is over. It is also fed up of pandering to little tin pot middle eastern dictators and their personality cults. See how it is frantically scrabbling around for alternative sources of energy. Regardless of all political realities, the oil is a finite source that is rapidly diminishing.

Let me repeat two point I touched upon earlier:

European states had been going through a normalisation of relations with Lybia and the oil companies were doing a decent trade. They will not be doing much business in the foreseeable future as the country is in turmoil. The status quo was in EVERYONE's business interests. This unrest is ****ing up a lot of western business.

Secondly, the Arab oil producing nations NEED Western oil companies. People always talk as if it's oil companies going into Arab nations and raping their oil fields. Lets get something straight: If it wasn't for their naturally occurring oil reserves, Arab oil producing nations would be an insignificant 3rd world backwater. They survive by SELLING their oil, and they would not get by without their customers in the West and the rest of the world who BUY the oil. The sad thing is that some Arab governments are so shamelessly corrupt and so negligent towards their own citizens that in many oil producing countries the money that is raised through oil exports is siphoned off by the elite, leaving the rest of the population in poverty.

how is britain and who is america and who teh heck are you to make it a 'FACT' that teh libyan goverment is illegitimate,

Legitimacy comes from the consent of the governed - that is to say from regular democratic elections between multiple candidates conducted in a transparent manner. How can we derive legitimacy from anything else? Legitimacy is also strengthened by a government that reflects and acts upon the desires of its people, and looks after their welfare. I have no doubt you would support such a vile dictator as Qaddafi to the bitter end and discount or refuse to accept the brutality of his regime, perhaps it is because you have a slavish mentality. All dictators need their lackeys, and you would probably do a good job of sucking dictatorial c0ck if the opportunity presented itself.
Reply 309

The West knows the days of cheap oil is over. It is also fed up of pandering to little tin pot middle eastern dictators and their personality cults. See how it is frantically scrabbling around for alternative sources of energy. Regardless of all political realities, the oil is a finite source that is rapidly diminishing.

European states had been going through a normalisation of relations with Lybia and the oil companies were doing a decent trade. They will not be doing much business in the foreseeable future as the country is in turmoil. The status quo was in EVERYONE's business interests. This unrest is ****ing up a lot of western business.

Secondly, the Arab oil producing nations NEED Western oil companies. People always talk as if it's oil companies going into Arab nations and raping their oil fields. Lets get something straight: If it wasn't for their naturally occurring oil reserves, Arab oil producing nations would be an insignificant 3rd world backwater. They survive by SELLING their oil, and they would not get by without their customers in the West and the rest of the world who BUY the oil. The sad thing is that some Arab governments are so shamelessly corrupt and so negligent towards their own citizens that in many oil producing countries the money that is raised through oil exports is siphoned off by the elite, leaving the rest of the population in poverty.

Legitimacy comes from the consent of the governed - that is to say from regular democratic elections between multiple candidates conducted in a transparent manner. How can we derive legitimacy from anything else? Legitimacy is also strengthened by a government that reflects and acts upon the desires of its people, and looks after their welfare. I have no doubt you would support such a vile dictator as Qaddafi to the bitter end and discount or refuse to accept the brutality of his regime, perhaps it is because you have a slavish mentality. All dictators need their lackeys, and you would probably do a good job of sucking dictatorial c0ck if the opportunity presented itself.

who are you to say 'elections' and 'democracy' are right, you run your country, let gaddafi run his.

and talking of democracy, when the UNSC, is run on the basis of dsicatorship, then what right has america got to wave its democracy flag.

democracy does nto exist becuase if it did the the existence of the VETO POWER in the UNSC would not exist, the veto power of the worlds rich and famous AMERICA BRITAIN RUSSIA FRANCE CHINA is the sign of the existence of the RICH AND POWERFUL DICTATING TO THE REST, infact the existence of the SC's EXCLUSIVE is dictatorship on the international stage, so first eradicate the veto in the SC then eradicate the EXCLUSIVE MEMBERS OF THE SC before deciding upon the legitamacy or illegitamacy of libyas government or for that matter any arab government, by the way, america wnats american puppets in charge of every arab country,m i didn;lt see america using tehri military might against american jewish pupet mubarak, id ont; see any action against jeiwsh americna puppet bahrain who got troops from american jewish puppet saudi to crush the 'REBELS', so why oh why do you feel the need to assert you power upon non jewish and non american puppet that is gaddafi, OIL, CHEAP OIL. do you what the first thing that gaddafi did when he cmae to power? he told the western companies pay up or leave, becuase libya has survived without oil for cemnturoies and it will continue to survive. and thats something the wets still begrudges about, the fact the gaddafi is no puppet, and talking of gaddafi, will you etll me how much american and the west was against the pre decessor of gaddafi which was ALSO A DICTATOR, they loved him becuase he was an american PUPPET WASN'T HE.

america loves dictatororship, as long as the dictators are american jewish puppets like MUBARAK, ben ali, or the kings of bahrain, suadi, qatar, kuwait etc, amercia only hates dictators which are not AMERICAN PUPPETS? prove me wrong if you can kiddo.

Your first sentence is rather hard to follow owing to its poor construction, therefore I may have this wrong, but it seems you are calling the Mujahideen terrorists too. This, implies you were for a Soviet puppet government being imposed in Afghanistan. Your first sentence is also factually inaccurate (a habit of yours, actually). The USA did not fund the Taliban as such, rather the Mujahideen, and this was not in the 90s but in the 1980s. Elements of the Mujahideen did, indeed, become the Taliban (as I understand it). I'm unsure what points you are attempting to make by your semi-incoherent tirade, but I shall make the following points:

It is hard to justify calling the East Lybians terrorists. As I posted before, the comparison that somebody made between the East Lybians and the IRA is farcical. The IRA moved to violence after failing to win the democratic battle - they are therefore fighting against a legitimate democratically elected government (see my link above about opinions in NI). Not only this but they target civilian targets with bombs.

The East Libyans are fighting against military targets, and are also fighting against an illegitimate government. As I said earlier - legitimacy is derived from the consent of the governed - ie. regular democratic elections. We do not know how opinion divides nationally, but from the unrest in Tripoli it seems a fair assumption to make that hatred of the regime is not restricted to the East (which it seems fair to conclude is overwhelmingly anti-Qaddafi). Furthermore, it could be argued many are fighting for the freedom to peaceful protest, a right that all modern societies should allow its citizens.

The American's ended up being stung after their support the Mujahideen - as we said before, elements of the Mujahideen did evolve into the Taliban - nevertheless, I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make in relation to the Libya debate. I would have thought you also would have been on the side of the Mujahideen in the Soviet Afghan War.

I think the best explanation for your incoherence is that you are a bit of a thicky.

Thanks!
I agree.
Reply 312

so why did america and britain attack iraq ON FALSE CLAIMS when the majority of their people were agaisnt it? do you now acceot the bush administration and the blair government were illegitimate? as tehy did nto act upon the wish of tehri people
who are you to say 'elections' and 'democracy' are right, you run your country, let gaddafi run his.

I'm going to reply bit by bit this time as time is tight.

Your opening line is revealing. Libya is NOT Qaddafi's, it is the Lybian people's.

It is a fair question to ask "what makes democracy the 'right' way of government". It leads to an interesting debate (but rather more interesting when discussed with people better educated than yourself). My personal view is that democracy is almost bound to fail in certain parts of the world (in the short term) - but the alternative should NOT be a country ruled as a personal fiefdom by a crazed authoritarian dictator. That it clear.
so why did america and britain attack iraq ON FALSE CLAIMS when the majority of their people were agaisnt it? do you now acceot the bush administration and the blair government were illegitimate? as tehy did nto act upon the wish of tehri people

I have much more sympathy with those criticising the Iraq conflict. But this is not a debate about the Iraq conflict. It is a debate about Lybia. You may be losing the debate, but I ask you to stick to the topic as best you can.

Thanks!
Reply 315
Your first sentence is rather hard to follow owing to its poor construction, therefore I may have this wrong, but it seems you are calling the Mujahideen terrorists too. This, implies you were for a Soviet puppet government being imposed in Afghanistan. Your first sentence is also factually inaccurate (a habit of yours, actually). The USA did not fund the Taliban as such, rather the Mujahideen, and this was not in the 90s but in the 1980s. Elements of the Mujahideen did, indeed, become the Taliban (as I understand it). I'm unsure what points you are attempting to make by your semi-incoherent tirade, but I shall make the following points:

It is hard to justify calling the East Lybians terrorists. As I posted before, the comparison that somebody made between the East Lybians and the IRA is farcical. The IRA moved to violence after failing to win the democratic battle - they are therefore fighting against a legitimate democratically elected government (see my link above about opinions in NI). Not only this but they target civilian targets with bombs.

The East Libyans are fighting against military targets, and are also fighting against an illegitimate government. As I said earlier - legitimacy is derived from the consent of the governed - ie. regular democratic elections. We do not know how opinion divides nationally, but from the unrest in Tripoli it seems a fair assumption to make that hatred of the regime is not restricted to the East (which it seems fair to conclude is overwhelmingly anti-Qaddafi). Furthermore, it could be argued many are fighting for the freedom to peaceful protest, a right that all modern societies should allow its citizens.

The American's ended up being stung after their support the Mujahideen - as we said before, elements of the Mujahideen did evolve into the Taliban - nevertheless, I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make in relation to the Libya debate. I would have thought you also would have been on the side of the Mujahideen in the Soviet Afghan War.

I think the best explanation for your incoherence is that you are a bit of a thicky.

Thanks!

the mujahadeen is a term used for those engaged in JIHAD, research it if you want.

afghanistan was a game which america knew they would win by killing two brids with one stone, they armed the terrorists so that russia would not strengthen its interests in the region, and then america knew it would have ground for occupying afghanistan itself once terrorism prevails in the country

i will laugh my head off when libyan TERRORISTS OF BENGHAZI **** america right over

and tor ound off i question the charade of 9/11 you are seriously telling me 19 etrrirst got through security without any american knowledcge, america staged it, even the aflling of the towers is controlled. unliek you i am not subjected to american *******s i ahev a head and i use it and do nto beleive anything and evertything that your 'LORD BUSH OR LORD BLAIR OR LORD OBAMA' tell you.
the mujahadeen is a term used for those engaged in JIHAD, research it if you want.

afghanistan was a game which america knew they would win by killing two brids with one stone, they armed the terrorists so that russia would not strengthen its interests in the region, and then america knew it would have ground for occupying afghanistan itself once terrorism prevails in the country

i will laugh my head off when libyan TERRORISTS OF BENGHAZI **** america right over

and tor ound off i question the charade of 9/11 you are seriously telling me 19 etrrirst got through security without any american knowledcge, america staged it, even the aflling of the towers is controlled. unliek you i am not subjected to american *******s i ahev a head and i use it and do nto beleive anything and evertything that your 'LORD BUSH OR LORD BLAIR OR LORD OBAMA' tell you.

you see now, old boy, you're having an unedifying conspiracy-theory-inspired hissy fit. I would still like to reply to some of your less crazed points made earlier, but will have to resume later. all the best!
Reply 317
I have much more sympathy with those criticising the Iraq conflict. But this is not a debate about the Iraq conflict. It is a debate about Lybia. You may be losing the debate, but I ask you to stick to the topic as best you can.

Thanks!

you are talking of illegitmate goverments, you said if the govern does not act in reflection of whats its people want its illegitimate, i jusat gave you a clera exmaple of the blair government and bush administration doing excatly that, tehri people did nto wnat the iraq war, not only did the pair atatck iraq but thjey attacked iraq on FALSE GROUNDS, so i ask you again do you have double standards or do you admit that the blair and bush governments were illegitmate?

the reason why this question is relevant to the libya conflict is so that i can assess whether you have double standards or not whether you have one rule for america and another for libya.

so answer the question

do you have double standards or do you admit the blair and bush governments were illegitmate

ok, so to resume our little to and fro:

Yes, Mujahideen is a term for those engaged in jihad. Nothing I have said would contradict that. I was merely correcting your error riddled account of what happened in the Soviet Afghan war. According to you the US ploughed money into the Taliban to fight the Soviets or as you elegantly put it:

the rebels are TERRORISTS, just like AMERICA AIDED THE TALIBAN IN THE 90s

As I tried to point out to you, the Americans aided what was generically called the Afghan Mujahideen in the 1980s. The Taliban's birth is somewhat murky, but most agree it did not form until about 1992 when the Mujahideen groups were battling each other for power in Kabul and the Soviets had long left. I fear it is you, my dear chap, who needs to do a bit of research.

Now, moving on:

It is true that throughout the Cold War America tussled for influence with the Soviet Union. But your suggestion that America thought that by arming the Mujahideen they would somehow manage to create an environment condusive to an "American occupation" is rather far fetched. ALthough, as I have already seen you are impervious to reasonable argument I suspect there is little point pursuing this part of the debate.

Well, this just about sums up your warped little mind. It's a pity you are all mouth and that you wouldn't have the guts to try a bit of DIY jihad yourself. Personally, I'd love to see you self detonate. But then I suppose the sh1t would take weeks to clean off the walls of wherever you pressed the button.

And yes, I am telling you that. You c0ck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 319
ok, so to resume our little to and fro:

Yes, Mujahideen is a term for those engaged in jihad. Nothing I have said would contradict that. I was merely correcting your error riddled account of what happened in the Soviet Afghan war. According to you the US ploughed money into the Taliban to fight the Soviets or as you elegantly put it:

As I tried to point out to you, the Americans aided what was generically called the Afghan Mujahideen in the 1980s. The Taliban's birth is somewhat murky, but most agree it did not form until about 1992 when the Mujahideen groups were battling each other for power in Kabul and the Soviets had long left. I fear it is you, my dear chap, who needs to do a bit of research.

Now, moving on:

It is true that throughout the Cold War America tussled for influence with the Soviet Union. But your suggestion that America thought that by arming the Mujahideen they would somehow manage to create an environment condusive to an "American occupation" is rather far fetched. ALthough, as I have already seen you are impervious to reasonable argument I suspect there is little point pursuing this part of the debate.

Well, this just about sums up your warped little mind. It's a pity you are all mouth and that you wouldn't have the guts to try a bit of DIY jihad yourself. Personally, I'd love to see you self detonate. But then I suppose the sh1t would take weeks to clean off the walls of wherever you pressed the button.

And yes, I am telling you that. You c0ck.

yeh well don't expect me to believe such *******s

one two three maybe but 19 ffs get a grip, nush and co wnated a excuse to get in afghanistan so they could paly their sick games, adn guess what thsaddest part of it all is, its the fact that you believe that crap the bush adminustration told you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending