The Student Room Group

How old were you when you moved out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by drbluebox
Why dont you move to a bedsit? The £100 was for student accomodation but this was a few years ago but even now I see many student accomodations offering like £200 deposit

I pay £400 per month for a 1 bedroom flat and would pay £350 for a beautiful flat in a rough area about 20 minutes walk away(and it would be 2 bedroom!)

If I wanted a bedsit I would be paying £200-£300 per month including everything inc internet which if I was living at home would mean I would save on travel so wouldnt be as bad as it looks.

and in all areas I have lived the up front rent has been no more than a month.(but I havent lived in the bigger cities)

Why is that harsh if hes not living there, not paying rent, not paying bills etc, and even if he lived with his parents that doesnt mean he is entitled to a key.

Otherwise whats the point of moving out if you can go to your parents at anytime?

I do not want to rent and there is no such thing as a bedsit around here lol And in all honestly, I am not making it up, but all rented accom around here to ask for a month and half rent up front. Plus with only £50 a week to live of whilst at uni I still could not afford a place. Even with a job I would be cutting it close even for the cheapest accommodation and job prospects around here are very low at the moment.

My point is rather the fact that it is so difficult to actually buy a home, not to rent. Saving up a 10% deposit takes years and your lucky if anyone will offer you a lower deposit unless you join some kind of shared equity scheme or whatever.

On another note though, nothing aimed at you lol, but it really annoys me when people say "oh yeah I moved out when I was 17" as if they are so great when really they just got a council house and sponged off the tax payer. Get that a lot from people round here. My facebook is full of people like this haha "Yay got my own home" ...I'm so ace, I'm such a success....NO YOUR NOT! I'm not annoyed at people who need a council house, just people who think that it is the same as actually working and buying or renting your own. Just a rant haha
Reply 61
Original post by drbluebox
Why dont you move to a bedsit? The £100 was for student accomodation but this was a few years ago but even now I see many student accomodations offering like £200 deposit

I pay £400 per month for a 1 bedroom flat and would pay £350 for a beautiful flat in a rough area about 20 minutes walk away(and it would be 2 bedroom!)

If I wanted a bedsit I would be paying £200-£300 per month including everything inc internet which if I was living at home would mean I would save on travel so wouldnt be as bad as it looks.

and in all areas I have lived the up front rent has been no more than a month.(but I havent lived in the bigger cities)

Why is that harsh if hes not living there, not paying rent, not paying bills etc, and even if he lived with his parents that doesnt mean he is entitled to a key.

Otherwise whats the point of moving out if you can go to your parents at anytime?

it just seems harsh to me because of what I'm used to I guess.
everyone who I know (that I have seen whether they do or not) who has moved out still has a key to their parents house, including my parents and even my grandparents for my greatgrandmothers house. its because they are welcome to come whenever they want and are trusted to do so. what parent wouldn't want their child to feel like they can come anytime?:s-smilie:
but then obviously not everyones the same and I see it that way because thats what I've always been around.
edit: this obviously only applies if you have a good relationship with your parents
Reply 62
Original post by Smophy
I do not want to rent and there is no such thing as a bedsit around here lol And in all honestly, I am not making it up, but all rented accom around here to ask for a month and half rent up front. Plus with only £50 a week to live of whilst at uni I still could not afford a place. Even with a job I would be cutting it close even for the cheapest accommodation and job prospects around here are very low at the moment.

My point is rather the fact that it is so difficult to actually buy a home, not to rent. Saving up a 10% deposit takes years and your lucky if anyone will offer you a lower deposit unless you join some kind of shared equity scheme or whatever.

On another note though, nothing aimed at you lol, but it really annoys me when people say "oh yeah I moved out when I was 17" as if they are so great when really they just got a council house and sponged off the tax payer. Get that a lot from people round here. My facebook is full of people like this haha "Yay got my own home" ...I'm so ace, I'm such a success....NO YOUR NOT! I'm not annoyed at people who need a council house, just people who think that it is the same as actually working and buying or renting your own. Just a rant haha

council houses arn't free :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Original post by boba
council houses arn't free :s-smilie:

There certainly not full cost. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than to actually do it on your own without councils help.

And I never actually said they were free.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
18, got kicked out for smoking weed and getting a tattoo
moved into my own place at 18, living at home just didnt suit me..
Reply 66
Original post by Le Récamier
I'm at university and live in halls, but in a different continent. Does that count? :/ I think it does, though they're paying for everything, I don't live with my parents anymore, and I can feel it whenever I go back "home."

If they're paying for it then does that really count? I would say no. Moving out to me is more than just living away from parents, its about being self sufficient and making your own way e.g. financing your lifestyle.

I went to uni and lived away for 3 years but that was using loans etc. Now I've got a job and the rest I realise how much money matters when just generally living. When I say 'money matters' I mean in being self sufficient, I dont believe it affects happiness.

But yea, there is a huge difference in moving out for uni when you get loans and parents money (+ maybe a small part time job) to when you get a job and have to pay your way. Students don't pay council tax for example.
I'm 18 when I move out :biggrin:
i was 17 and i moved out for a year and a half but it was really hard and since i wanted to save for uni i moved back home for a while (will be 8months in sept)
Reply 69
Moved out at 17, don't see much chance of ever moving back in :s
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Well it's up to your parents to push him really... Not neccessarily to move out, but he should pay his way. Sounds like he needs a kick up the backside.

yeah i wish they would! its wierd but i think they dont want him moving out :s-smilie: they keep saying 'he will do things in his own time'. i can see him living here till hes like 35 :|
Reply 71
Went to uni at 18, but I spent about half the year back home with my parents so I don't count that. Moved out properly at 22 when I finished uni and got a job. Had to move out because the job was too far away from where my parents live.

I still go back to my parents' house quite a lot. I regularly go back for weekends and when I have a few days holiday.
Reply 72
When you say move out, do you see your parents and family ever again?
Original post by Dekota-XS
When you say move out, do you see your parents and family ever again?

yeah most people do
I was 18 and moved out to go to uni. 6 years on I'm still here :biggrin: I love my family to bits but could never live with them again, i'm too used to my independence. My rent is £227 a month and i live in a really nice area :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by xXMessedUpXx
I was 18 and moved out to go to uni. 6 years on I'm still here :biggrin: I love my family to bits but could never live with them again, i'm too used to my independence.

Yeah I'm the same, whenever I go home, I usually end up glad to be leaving again!!
Original post by Jabblez
For various reasons, whether it was bad relationships with family etc or just for the hell of it. (going to uni doesn't count)

I'm 19 and desperately trying to get out of my sisters house as quite frankly, her and her partner are both poisonous and without trying to sound melodramatic, it feels as if they are killing me, all the stress caused and the unjust bitchyness and down right b**I****** that they are. I am always completely miserable and have no other family. So yeah, how old were you and how did you cope?

FYI I'm not working properly, on an apprenticeship atm so don't really earn enough, and I don't want to get stuck in a horrible area. HOWEVER I currently live in the middle of nowhere and would LOVE to be able to get to the town to see my friends, this is however, completely impossible.

Thanks,

Was 18, moved out of my Dads into a houseshare a few hundred miles away and never regretted it since. I get along a lot better with my Dad from a distance and have really got to know myself better now that I am an independent person and I'm happier than ive ever been so if you're asking me then go for it and dont stress over money, u can get fairly cheap accommodation in not bad areas as long as youre not too fussy. I found somewhere to live in three days and didnt even meet my housemates before i moved in but provided you are with a reliable agency not some obsolete non-existent firm off the internet you should be fine. Good luck and if you want any advice on finding accommodation etc just pm me.
I really don't see how anyone can count uni as moving out, it really isn't. I bet hardly anyone who went to university halls took everything they own to their room, handed their mum and dad back their keys and stayed there over the summer holidays. It's cheap as chips to live at uni and a lot of people are getting it paid for by their parents any way lol. Most people will move out properly in their twenties I think.
17, moved in with my partner. ****THEPARENTS.

What a silly mistake it turned out to be.
How can uni not count? I will be moving out as I will be going about 4 and a half hours away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending