The Student Room Group

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well I plan to be a teacher and I'm aware you spend a lot of hours outside lessons marking homework planning lesson etc. So I wouldn't call it a 9-5 job.
me....being both a doctor and in the army probably means 9-5 will be a luxury I'll never have :biggrin:
Reply 82
I'm looking to continue my current business ventures when I go to uni, and then after that, start a few more and retire by 30 and start a social enterprise helping new entrepreneurs.
Original post by T-Hill
I'm planning on winning the lottery, so I won't need a 9-5 job :smile:

You and me both (that's Plan A).

Plan B however would most certainly not be typical 9-5.

Plan C is if Plan A doesn't materialize & I completely fail at Plan B. And Plan C is take any steady job I can get my hands on; 9-5 or otherwise. I seriously hope I don't have to resort to Plan C.
9 to 5? I'd be working 9 to possibly midnight.
Original post by SteveCrain
My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.

Currently, due to where we're working at the moment, I leave the house at 7:20, get to work an hour later, do manual labour until half 5-6ish, get home an hour later.

So **** you :colonhash:
Reply 86
i want to work at night!
*sigh* me...not ever done 9-5hours, except from community nursing...no, it's a life of 5am starts, 8pm finishes..collapsing on the sofa, not getting a break, getting slapped by patients, crayons thrown at me, chasing after doctors, pharmacists, physio's, relatives, not sleeping as I'm worried about patients, exams, courses, packages, poo, wee, sputum, blood, catheters, fluids, back pain, foot pain...

Nursing...it's a glamourous career
Reply 88
I wont be. :colone:

Big WC race every month between April and September, British Downhill Series races every so often too, then Euro-Championships too.

Then there's photo-shoots, sponsorship contracts, other smaller competitions.

I wont be doing any 9-5 job unless its at a race day. :wink:
I'm aiming for music journalism, which isn't always a 9-5 job. Interviewing , concert reviews , that kinda stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by wactm
There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.

They're both losers. The winner is the owner.
My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.

well you see theres the comfortable life when you go to work in the morning and come home the the wife and kids in the evening, have the weekend of to do what ever and book a family holiday in the summer, maybe a ski holiday in the winter.

But alot of people would simply get board. That why the saying goes 'find something you love doing then find someone to pay you to do it'. Or something along those line. For alot of people, the thing the may love doing isn't a typical job.
Yeah, i want to go into investment banking which is more like a 5-9 job :frown:
Criminal enterprises aren't 9 til 5.
Reply 94
Original post by viksta1000
Yeah, i want to go into investment banking which is more like a 5-9 job :frown:

Innit man :frown:
Reply 95
I work 7.45am - 6.30pm in the Netherlands. A bit more than 9-5, but a job I really enjoy. Doing a similar thing in London would mean hours like 6am - 7pm and a longer commute. I think I'd quite like working just in the night though.
I worked in the recording industry for the pat 5 years or so. And ran my own events company.

When I was working in studios I did 15 hour days. My longest 1 day session was 26 hours at Abby Road. If you work in live sound/events you'll do more than that. By the by there's **** all money in recording anymore.

I've now sold out and applying for a graduate entry medicine degree.

So whilst I won't be working in the creative industry, I doubt I'll ever have a 9-5 job! :biggrin:
Not once in my life did I intend on doing a 9-5 job
Fire service :smile: two days, two nights, four days off (who says teachers get the best holidays?)
Reply 99

Are you crazy?

You think the safest option, is to be at the mercy of someone else? Who can fire you? Who is so easily wrecked by a recession?

The people who are doing well still in the recession are the people who founded/sold/run the businesses, not the people who work for them and are dispensable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending