The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straight up G
Well Edexcel is just one exam board, a notoriously poor exam board now

Agreed. OCR is the future.
Whoop, OCR :biggrin:
Doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology, only have had an exam in Psych so far and got an A :P, and planning on carrying on all four next year, predicted A's in all subjects, hopefully will get them X_X
I'll be dropping Graphic Communication for A2 >_< as I don't really see how relevant it'd be for medicine :tongue: (Plus, I'd be doing 5 A2 subjects which is mental :eek:)

My graphics teacher is trying to guilt me into carrying it on though T_T

Also, how's everyone's work experience going? I tried to volunteer at my local hospital, but you have to be 18... so that's not very helpful ._. and you have to be 17.5 to do anything clinical at the other hospital...and I'll be 17.5 after I've sent in my application O_O
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa
Okay thanks, that helps :smile:

No problem. Feel free to ask if you have questions, that's what this thread is for. I actually love how un competitive and friendly this thread is... some wanna be medics get really crazy competitive and it's scary! :eek:

Original post by Ergo
In line with the ongoing discussion about ethics...

During a medical consultation you found out that your patient who is underage had been smoking and consuming alcohol without his parent's knowledge. What would you do?

How old is the patient exactly? I would check to see if they were gillick competent and take it from there, really. Tbh I'd feel really reluctant to get parents involved, especially if, for example, drinking was against the parents' religion. But I would encourage the child to tell their parents and I would try to get them help quitting... especially with the smoking, even without their parents' knowledge. I'd talk to them about the risks of smoking/excessive drinking. Are they coming to see me because of a health problem related to the smoking/drinking or not?

Original post by Normandy114
Nice, that's (basically) what I said :smile: .

True, it is. :smile: Although I would still like to hear more justification for these guidelines, you'd feel so dodgy just doing nothing. :frown:

Original post by JChoudhry
Looks really interesting! Thanks +1 :smile:

A Very Short Introduction to Medical Ethics is a nice read :yep: Tony Hope

Awww, cheers. :smile:

Cool, do you think libraries will have it? We should so comply a recommended reading list for this thread!

Cool, do you think libraries will have it? We should so comply a recommended reading list for this thread!

600 UKCAT Questions Book! :biggrin:

It's almost as obscure as the questions themselves but it does the job. :biggrin:
Original post by Joseppea
600 UKCAT Questions Book! :biggrin:

It's almost as obscure as the questions themselves but it does the job. :biggrin:

Ahhh, good point! When do you recommend people start getting ready for the UKCAT? :smile:

Edit: oh, you're a Y12. Nvm. :p:
XD It can never be too early, I presume.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
We should so comply a recommended reading list for this thread!

Medical applicants further reading

TSR has us covered. :love:
Original post by Bubbles2010
Hello everyone! Just want to say a massive good luck!!!
I applied for medicine for 2011 entry (Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham & Imperial), and got an offer from Cambridge and Birmingham.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to quote or PM :smile:
GOOD LUCK!

Hi, just wanted to know how much work experiance/ voluntary work you done to put on your personal statement?
Reply 1071
I've just done a UKCAT practice test. Does anyone know roughly what percentage we should be getting at this stage to be ready for the summer? Or what percentage unis expect?
Cheers :smile:
Original post by MedicSoon!
Hi, just wanted to know how much work experiance/ voluntary work you done to put on your personal statement?

Don't know about what they put in their PS, but their applicant details are in the 284th post in the Medical Applicant profiles post. Their work experience/volunteering is:
"1 week in Infirmary in India,
6 months in Hospital, (volunteering as: porter and then Health Care assistant)
1 week in GP surgery,
1 year (ish) in elderly care home,
1 week shadowing in hospital (London),
1 month (ish) volunteering in Orphanage (S.E. Asia)
4 months volunteering at Disabled Riding Centre
1 month teaching assistant in India
(Medlink...)"
Original post by Steph E
I've just done a UKCAT practice test. Does anyone know roughly what percentage we should be getting at this stage to be ready for the summer? Or what percentage unis expect?
Cheers :smile:

50 is said to be average

58% is the minimum expected by most places. That is 650

Bear in mind my maths may be completely wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1074
Original post by SteveCrain
50 is said to be average

58% is the minimum expected by most places. That is 650

Bear in mind my maths may be completely wrong.

Thanks. I got 56% as a first go and was a bit worried about getting so many wrong, but if unis only want 58% that's fine, I can get that in the summer hopefully :smile:
Thanks
Original post by Steph E
Thanks. I got 56% as a first go and was a bit worried about getting so many wrong, but if unis only want 58% that's fine, I can get that in the summer hopefully :smile:
Thanks

It significantly varies between universities. Some, you won't be safe with anything less than 70%, and others will rank you with your section scores taken into consideration.
Original post by itsrayray:)
Yeah I've done some, yourself?

Ive only done one and i'm going to do a second one soon, i'm gonna start voluntary work soon. I only now making my choice in life so I'm really behind but I am looking for places and I have found a few just need to book them next week :smile:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Ive only done one and i'm going to do a second one soon, i'm gonna start voluntary work soon. I only now making my choice in life so I'm really behind but I am looking for places and I have found a few just need to book them next week :smile:

I'm going to start volunteering at a nursing home soon as well - stupid places don't allow you to volunteer before you turn 17 :angry:

Now to find a reference :redface:
Reply 1078
Original post by Normandy114
Don't know about what they put in their PS, but their applicant details are in the 284th post in the Medical Applicant profiles post. Their work experience/volunteering is:
"1 week in Infirmary in India,
6 months in Hospital, (volunteering as: porter and then Health Care assistant)
1 week in GP surgery,
1 year (ish) in elderly care home,
1 week shadowing in hospital (London),
1 month (ish) volunteering in Orphanage (S.E. Asia)
4 months volunteering at Disabled Riding Centre
1 month teaching assistant in India
(Medlink...)"

Wowww that's a lot!
Reply 1079
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
No problem. Feel free to ask if you have questions, that's what this thread is for. I actually love how un competitive and friendly this thread is... some wanna be medics get really crazy competitive and it's scary! :eek:

I know.. it makes a change from my school, it's like all the people with 10 A*'s talking about the people with only 2 A*'s applying etccc.. I wish it wasn't so competitive.