The Student Room Group

Poll: Do you love England?

Poll

Do you love England?

Didn't 100% know where this should go, but this is sort of about England... currently... and its affairs? In a roundabout way? Mods, move as you see fit.

So, do you love England? Some people say there's a distinct lack of patriotism here in comparison to other countries like the USA, and people I've personally talked to have different opinions. There are those who love it, think it's amazing, and are very happy here, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are those who hate England and are pretty much cynical in every way about it

What about you guys? Do you love living here, or hate it? Why? The people, the culture, what? Are you going to be living here for the rest of your life, or d'you think you'll escape ASAP? Post your thoughts. Should be interesting!

Scroll to see replies

I'm fond of England, I would be sad if she left me, but I'm not really looking for anything long term.

p.s I love your sig :biggrin:
I love England because its my home and anyone loves their home... But as a country, no I don't LOVE it.
Well I'm from Scotland, live in Scotland and only go to England a few times a year. Like Scotland, England's alright. Nothing special.
I would rather live abroad in the future. I would probably only miss club football
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lewroll
I'm fond of England, I would be sad if she left me, but I'm not really looking for anything long term.

p.s I love your sig :biggrin:

Haha! Maybe I shouldn't have used 'love', I'm going to be getting all kinds of jokes now...

Thank you! :cool:
Could be worse.

Could be much better too *shrugs*
I hate the people
I do love England in a quiet sort of way. I can't really imagine living anywhere else. Ireland, perhaps, but only because it's beautiful and I've got roots there, too. Other nations are awesome, but England is my home and in my heart. I am so glad that we don't have the kind of ridiculous, bombastic patriotism you might get in the USA or France that frankly seems more akin to mild nationalism than anything else. Even all the flag-waving and slightly-forced "cultural enrichment" you get in Scotland and Wales is too much for me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Would answer, but I live in Wales. Is this poll UK or just England?
I love it!
I love England as it was 100, 90 years ago. I love our history and our heritage. Modern England/Britain? Absolutely can't stand it. Can't wait to leave.
Reply 12
It's a beautiful place to live, I love my friends and family who live here and the summer/spring in this country is amazing. Also ridiculously proud to live in such a cultured, historic area of the world. But I really don't do well with short days and freezing winters, my mood is terrible for about 4 months of the year when it's cold and dark, so I wouldn't say no to moving somewhere sunny all year round like California, Greece, Italy, Turkey or Syria.
Reply 13
Its...aight i spose :colonhash:

I'm pretty indifferent either way, obviously there are worse countries, but if someone offered me the option to live somewhere else on the same level as England I'd have no qualms in going as long as i could take all of my friends with me.

It is true tho, we're not half as patriotic as somewhere like America.
I'm not from England and I don't love it. I'll definitely move back home when I can. There's some great things about England but it can be a tough place to live.
Original post by IlexBlue
Didn't 100% know where this should go, but this is sort of about England... currently... and its affairs? In a roundabout way? Mods, move as you see fit.

So, do you love England? Some people say there's a distinct lack of patriotism here in comparison to other countries like the USA, and people I've personally talked to have different opinions. There are those who love it, think it's amazing, and are very happy here, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are those who hate England and are pretty much cynical in every way about it

What about you guys? Do you love living here, or hate it? Why? The people, the culture, what? Are you going to be living here for the rest of your life, or d'you think you'll escape ASAP? Post your thoughts. Should be interesting!

there are things i hate about this country-not least the insidious class system,but at its best i do love england. The england of shakespeare ,blake ,elgar. I think that politics has sadly degraded our people ,and although we are a richer (despite the recession) country we are poorer than we were . This is a country where our great grandparents /grandparents could leave their front doors unlocked. The average 'blighter'is a great person. Under-stated patriotism is one of our great qualities. It is easy to 'rubbish' our country ,but recently i met someone from a developing nation-a nation in which they were quite affluent-who had just become a citizen here. He said that it was impossible to explain how much it meant to get a british passport,and having his children here was the greatest gift he could give to them.I personally am very disillusioned with politics here,but there are people out on the streets of the middle east who are at this moment risking their lives to attain the freedoms we take for granted.
Reply 16
Original post by Lewis :D
Would answer, but I live in Wales. Is this poll UK or just England?

Poll is just England, sorry. Just because England tends to face the brunt of the whole "what about our culture/ are we patriotic" debate etc. Feel free to post your thoughts on Wales, though. Anyone from the UK can post.
I'm a lot more patriotic about England and being English since I moved to Scotland for uni.
I'm feeling homesick, so currently I hate it.... :cry2:
Reply 19
I love that foreigners find British people particularly respectable, and well educated. However, after living here my entire life, the 'foreign perspective' is only represented by about 1% of the population.

I would like to leave when I finish University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending