The Student Room Group

Should I defer my entry a year and pay higher fees??? i really don't know what's best

hey everyone :smile:.. as you can pobably tell from the title of this, i'd really appreciate some opinions from you..

basically, i currently hold an offer to go to the University of Leeds this september, to study Law. When i applied, i thought the three A's that were asked for was just about right for me. However, after getting my january A2s back, I got 100% in Law and Business, and 97% in psychology.. so it now looks VERY possible that i could get A*A*A* when i get my results back in August, as i only need now to get 80% in law and busine, and 83% in psychology to get it.

my gcse results were not great by any means.. i got 3 As, 1 B and 2 Cs.. but that was due to a very servere medical illness, which i've talked a bit about on my personal statement. in the least arrogant way possible, (please understand that) i feel that if i do get my A*A*A* in August and go to Leeds, i will have in theback of my mind that i could have done better than going to leeds.. although i do fully realise that it is a strong russell group uni. After my degree, i really want to have a chance of working for a big law firm in london. do you think that a a good class of degree from Leeds will give m a chance, or do you think i should be applying to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Kings etc, before i can have a realistic shot at this.

Also, should withdraw from UCAS (assuming i do get 3A*'s) and reapply to Cambridge, LSE, Kings, Durham and maybe sheffield next year??? i know this will cost loads more, but if i do that, i'm going to get a job over the year i'm off.

although my GCSE's aren't great, i know i apply through the special access scheme to cambridge, because of my circumstances. however, even if with my 3A*s, my gcses (due to cicumstances) are just not good enough for cambridge, then surely one of the other four unis i mentioned would offer me a place, given i got the highest A2's possible??

i really do have a genuine passion for law, and outside of the classroom i have been the founder of the mooting society at college, and also won a law excellence prize for an essay competition i went into.

pleasee get back to me with what you think :smile:
thankyou xx
It is entirely possible, likely even, that you could apply to those universities for law and receive a rejection from all of them, even with your hoped-for grades - there is more to it than grades - so be careful.
Reply 2
what did you get in your LNAT?
If I were you I'd wait until August and see what your actual results are before doing anything. But like Good bloke said - would you give up your place at a very good Russell Group university for the chance of getting into a slightly better one? It would be a huge risk and if it didn't pay off you'd be a bit screwed.
Reply 4
Original post by FinalMH
what did you get in your LNAT?

i didn't do my LNAT test mate.. all of the unis i applied to didn't want it!

what are your feelings on leeds for law then? do you think it is well enough repected?
Reply 5
Original post by Supercoop
i didn't do my LNAT test mate.. all of the unis i applied to didn't want it!

what are your feelings on leeds for law then? do you think it is well enough repected?

just cause you may do good in your a levels :/ doesn't mean you will do good in LNAT and all the uni's you mention would require you do it.

and honestly :/ you would have to do the exam before you would know if you had a chance

Leeds is respected :smile: it is good uni and you should be proud they made you offer, people on tsr make out that if you dont apply to top 5 you will fail this aint true as long as you can get

Second-class Honours, upper division or First-class Honours you will do fine in the Job market BUT some law firms in London are picky with who they employ, but these are only like 5 firms
Reply 6
I would be cautious, as some of the places you have mentioned (LSE and Durham, maybe Cambridge) might have an issue with you GCSE grades and/or subject choices at A level, even if you do get fantastic A level grades. If you did reapply, you could apply to one or two of these places, but you'd have to treat them as very high risk options. There's also the risk that next year you wouldn't get in to Leeds again or an 'equivilant' university in terms of reputation - how would you feel if this happened?

Regardless, Leeds is a very good university from what I know of it. Don't do anything at least until you have your A level results in case you don't get re very high grades you're hoping for - at least when you have the results you'll have a slightly better idea of how realistic these universities are for you. I'm not saying you absolutely shouldn't reapply, but be cautious and think things through first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending