The Student Room Group

How do you revise and not get distracted?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I like online revision but always found myself on Facebook 10 minutes into 'revising'. I'm an admin on my computer so I just temporarily blocked all the usual distracting websites so I literally couldn't do anything other than go on revision sites. If you have an Apple computer I can tell you how to do this. Alternatively you could put your laptop/phone/iPod etc. in a different room, and you need to find a quiet place away from lots of noise. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Articaaa
I have exams this year and I have no idea how to revise efficiently and not be distracted!

Also, how do you revise?

All views welcome!

I know that I'm easily distracted by other people just being around (e.g. my mum) as I end up talking/complaining to them about revising/what i'm stuck on/exams/whatever and as I can't kick everyone out the house I go to a room where people often don't go. For me that's my room and the conservatory but if you share a room with a sibling that might harder to find. It really does help though! (if it's a problem maybe try going to a library perhaps)

Another thing that distracts me is the internet (like now!) so when I'm doing revision unless it absolutely has to be done at the computer I switch the computer off totally otherwise I'll sign in to TSR, facebook etc just to see what's happening!

Some people revise with music but I end up singing along etc which although fun isn't really very helpful! Because of that I don't have any music playing either.

Make sure you everything to hand so you're not getting up to find a pen/highlighter/ruler/revision book/file/whatever.

Also, I know schools etc all seem to say do 20mins revision then have a 5min break but for me this doesn't really work so I do quite a few hours at one time then have an hour off but it's whatever suits you!

Also, switching subject and subject type e.g. maths then french rather than maths to physics and switching between the ways you're revising e.g. from notes to problem solving can help you focus more as you're not getting too bored.

Finally (sorry for the essay here!!), for most subjects it's really important to get into the examiner's head so do lots of past papers and read through the mark schemes and examiners reports! (this is particularly useful for science and humantites subjects, probably not as important for english and language type stuff though)

Hope this helps! ^_^ The most important thing is to stay motivated and keep a goal and a reward in mind whether it's just lots of hard work now then a great summer or getting good enough grades to get to where you want to be in life. :biggrin: Good luck!!
Reply 42
I find that making a solid schedule of what hours you're going to do revision helps immensely; it powers you into thinking 'right, I've got to go and do revision in 10 minutes, got to start winding down and getting everything out'. It's the only thing that can actually make me revise at all! Otherwise I literally go 'meh, I'll do it later' and then I find it's 1 AM and I'm like '... balls.'
Reply 43
Original post by emzaz
I know that I'm easily distracted by other people just being around (e.g. my mum) as I end up talking/complaining to them about revising/what i'm stuck on/exams/whatever and as I can't kick everyone out the house I go to a room where people often don't go. For me that's my room and the conservatory but if you share a room with a sibling that might harder to find. It really does help though! (if it's a problem maybe try going to a library perhaps)

Another thing that distracts me is the internet (like now!) so when I'm doing revision unless it absolutely has to be done at the computer I switch the computer off totally otherwise I'll sign in to TSR, facebook etc just to see what's happening!

Some people revise with music but I end up singing along etc which although fun isn't really very helpful! Because of that I don't have any music playing either.

Make sure you everything to hand so you're not getting up to find a pen/highlighter/ruler/revision book/file/whatever.

Also, I know schools etc all seem to say do 20mins revision then have a 5min break but for me this doesn't really work so I do quite a few hours at one time then have an hour off but it's whatever suits you!

Also, switching subject and subject type e.g. maths then french rather than maths to physics and switching between the ways you're revising e.g. from notes to problem solving can help you focus more as you're not getting too bored.

Finally (sorry for the essay here!!), for most subjects it's really important to get into the examiner's head so do lots of past papers and read through the mark schemes and examiners reports! (this is particularly useful for science and humantites subjects, probably not as important for english and language type stuff though)

Hope this helps! ^_^ The most important thing is to stay motivated and keep a goal and a reward in mind whether it's just lots of hard work now then a great summer or getting good enough grades to get to where you want to be in life. :biggrin: Good luck!!

This is really helpful! i was planning on getting off TSR earlier today, but then this thread became rather successful... xP
Reply 44
This is really helpful! i was planning on getting off TSR earlier today, but then this thread became rather successful... xP

Hahah! Glad to be of vague help :smile: I really didn't mean to write so much :colondollar:
And yeah, TSR is definitely a bit of distraction! :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by emzaz
Hahah! Glad to be of vague help :smile: I really didn't mean to write so much :colondollar:
And yeah, TSR is definitely a bit of distraction! :tongue:

ahahaa, the more the better :P
In all fairness, today, i have completely filled a wall with revision posters :colondollar:
Location, location, location is all important, and don't leave it too late to start.
Reply 47
I have exams this year and I have no idea how to revise efficiently and not be distracted!

Also, how do you revise?

All views welcome!

I use 'StayFocused', a google Chrome extension. It allows you to block particular sites for certain lengths of time or just limit the amount of time you spend on them each day! I like it because it allows me to use all the revision websites I need, but I can block emails, TSR and facebook, and I can still use the computer, without fear of getting distracted. :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by liviluck
I use 'StayFocused', a google Chrome extension. It allows you to block particular sites for certain lengths of time or just limit the amount of time you spend on them each day! I like it because it allows me to use all the revision websites I need, but I can block emails, TSR and facebook, and I can still use the computer, without fear of getting distracted. :smile:

woah! i actually tried it and it was really cool! that is really useful, thanks!
Reply 49
woah! i actually tried it and it was really cool! that is really useful, thanks!

hahah no problem :smile: it is literally the only way i can stop my self procrastinating :s-smilie:!
Reply 50
hahah no problem :smile: it is literally the only way i can stop my self procrastinating :s-smilie:!

i know, i get so easily distracted :s-smilie:

good luck in your exams (:
There's just too many distractions. You can waste the day without realising it. And I've not even really done anything - I can think about stuff for the world.

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the GCSE forum, FML. I'm 20 - you'd think I'd have gotten over this **** by now.
Reply 52
Do you think 5 weeks is enough to revise for 6 AS level exams or am I kidding myself....... my life is failing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 53
As of today, I don't
:cry:

Just one of those days when no matter what I do, I cannot get any sort of focus. Hell, I've tidied my room as an excuse for further procrastination!
Reply 54

I think I may actually love you. This may enable me to actually do some work!
EDIT: Correction, I officially adore you. It has a go at me when I try to change settings! I need this website.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
Revise in silence, alone and have loads of snacks for your short and frequent breaks
Go up to my room where I have no internet and hope I can focus
Reply 57
Original post by sb123303
Do you think 5 weeks is enough to revise for 6 AS level exams or am I kidding myself....... my life is failing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you can, from today and yesterrday, i have totally covered a wall with loads of revision posters etc. (:
Reply 58
Original post by BookWormShanti
I think I may actually love you. This may enable me to actually do some work!
EDIT: Correction, I officially adore you. It has a go at me when I try to change settings! I need this website.

hahha no problem:smile:, the site knows me so well, it's always telling me 'shouldn't you be working?' and i'm like hmmm i guess so. hahah.
Reply 59
i know, i get so easily distracted :s-smilie:

good luck in your exams (:

Quick Reply

Latest