The Student Room Group

Do you "love" your parents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I love my parents although I was never the child to get upset to be away from them. I never understand when the other children would get home sick. We never really hug, I don't think i have ever hugged of kissed my father and very rarely my mother. Doesn't mean anything though. They are very much like friends in a way my parents, but obviously still do all the parent things minus the soppy crap haha i don't think my parents have ever said sincerely "I love you" but this doesn't bother me as bad as it sounds. I know they love me from everything else they do, words mean nothing. Plus we are very honest. We express are feelings so we allow ourselves to argue. I really think that is key to a good family lol But me and my mother for example, know when the other is in a bad mood or has pmt etc and generally leave each other be.
Reply 81
Yes. I mean they may irritate me from time to time, but that doesnt mean I don't love them. They've done a hell of a lot for me, and love me unconditionally. So I think the least I can do is love them back.

Sorry I'm just astounded at some of the comments about wishing for a better family etc. No family is perfect, and no one said you had to get along all the time, but at the end of the day they're your family and you 'should' love them.
(edited 13 years ago)
I love my family.

How could you not love your family for crying out loud?? That's just horrendous.
Reply 83
Yeah, they're my parents...
Reply 84
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondered whether normal people (for example over 20) feel a kind of "bond" to your parents.

I wouldn't say I love my parents. I don't even really like them very much. I could be away from them for years and not miss them a bit. I find them annoying. I don't look up to them. And am quite frankly ashamed to be related to them. I don't know what use they are to me apart from financial. That's why I never send mothers day or fathers day cards because it would be insincere.

Like at school when people used to say "which of your parents do you love the most?" I thought well neither of them really.

And on tv when people are at "bootcamp" or whatever and away from their parents for ages and they cry all the time and when they all come home and cry and hug and such like and I just think that's weird and over the top.

Is your mum supposed to hug you and say she loves you when you're little or is that just in films???

Are you supposed to bond with your dad over football or fishing or something?? Is he supposed to tell everyone about what he did at work?

Do you think that not forming a bond with your parents makes it harder to have relationships?

Do you still feel worried about what your parents will think of you?

So... just wondering if it is normal to feel like this or if it is unusual? :confused: Are most people just embarrassed by their parents?

(Also, I read somewhere that autistic children don't bond with their parents. But I'm not autistic.)

I am autistic and I love my parents so much! :love: And no I am not :colondollar: to say so! :smile: :wink:
I'm grateful for a lot of what they're done and I can get on well with them, it's just I don't 'feel' any love for them. Went away for a month without them and I missed nothing of my family or home. Though my parents don't have the best relationship with each other, I think it's a personal/emotional fault on my part which has stunted my ability to sincerely 'feel' love for them.
Reply 86
I actually feel the same!
My parents annoy me constantly, so I tend to stay out of their way :L
I'm hoping when I go to Uni, that it'll bring us closer but in all honesty, i doubt that'll happen.
Reply 87
I love my parents a lot, and I look up to them, they've worked really hard to get where they are and they gave up a lot for me and my brother. They're just the best :smile: and both my parents (even now) do the hugging and kissing and saying "I love you"
I do love my parents. I totally understand that some people might have crappy parents who treat them like rubbish and should quite possibly have been been allowed to reproduce- but my Mum and Dad are seriously amazing. I had the best childhood ever, they took me to soo many places, showed me so many things and taught me how to be a good person. I owe a lot to them. Like someone on p1 said, friends come and go, other family does too, to some extent, but parents are the only people who have constantly been there for me through everything.

I've done a few things that I'm ashamed of, and still they're here for me, refusing to give up on me.. when many others would have probably just walked away.
I love my parents I do but they drive me crazy. Sometimes (most of the time) I hate them, they don't actually know me, but that's my fault I don't ever let anyone close enough because they will just hurt you! This hate is growing stronger and I need my space right know I really think I need to move out, and if I do my relationship with my parents will be better!

My parents relationship is not good they constantly shout etc. They honestly shouldn't be together, they had an arranged marriage and as a result I believe arranged marriages don't work! When I was younger my father used to physically abuse my mother I've seen all sorts. I know its affected me quite badly as this is the reason why I am so closed off and never want a relationship ever. Also all asian men repulse me I know it's wrong to think but in the back of my mind I think that all asian men will do what my dad did and it disgusts me!

I Can't really look at my dad with love, I hate how they pretend nothing ever happened. Why don;t people think of the affects on the kids?
I wish there was a pole for this thread :rolleyes:
Reply 91
I love them unconditionally.
I love my mum to bits, we look after each other.

I love my dad too, I feel desperately sorry for him and miss him like crazy - but at the same time I'm so so angry and frustrated with him as he's never been there as a real dad, not even when he lived with us. It hurts me that I should be angry. At least I finally have control over what he does and can do to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would say I love my parents, because they brought me into the world, support me financially etc, but I wouldn't say I like them. I don't talk about personal things with them, and I wouldn't spend time with them if I wasn't related to them. In definitely not one of those people who counts their parents as their friends.
They annoy the hell out of me at times, but I do love them. They've always been there for me through everything, they've always supported me and told me I can achieve great things, and they've done so much for me even though they don't have a great deal of money. Even now they've broken up, they stay friendly with each other, and help each other when necessary out for the good of me and my siblings. I can genuinely understand why some people don't love their parents, but I think some people are so selfish and unapreciattive. Having parents who beat you as a child is a perfectly good reason to despise your parents, the fact that they didn't get you an xbox for Christmas that year is not, spoilt people can never apreciatte how much parents actually give. If I make it in life, if I get a lucrative job and a nice house, I've already promised myself that I will give back everything they have given to me, they deserve it. :smile:
I don't know my dad but I don't really love my mum.:frown:
Original post by Cicerao
Yes, but it's not the clingy, emotional kind. We don't say, "I love you" to each other. Although my mom and I do call each other "babe" :awesome:

Yeah, same. Except for the "babe" part. :zomg: I think my family members just know we all love each other; neither me nor my parents have ever told the other that we love them.
I love my mum, don't particularly love my dad(have no idea why, mostly cause he's an absolute arse).

My parents are Asian and Muslim. I hate the cultureand
I don't understand religion which makes it hard for me to respect them because they have just accepted what their parents told them about religion instead of forming their own opinion.

When I tell them I'll most probably be disowned and never see them again. I'm 100% fine with that so I don't know what that says about me.

I love my mum but I don't miss her when I'm away and I wont miss her when I move out.
Reply 98
I love my Mum, even though she irritates me with her endless nagging/whining about silly things and doesn't seem to accept that I'm an adult and can make my own decisions.

Dad....meh. I hated him until I was about 12 (when he moved out, thank God), but I've started to like him more since then. He has quite an unstable personality though so I think 'love' might be too strong to describe my feelings for him. I'll go with 'like'.
My parents have a lot of arguments, my Dad was not all I wanted him to be, my Mum is really a little too harsh on him and because of this she gets on my nerves.

I love them about half the time, the other half... bah. Not the family I was hoping for at all >.<

They are appreciated, but not loved as much as they'd probably like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending